1. eNewsletter Sign Up

790 Adventure R - high side, where was the TC?

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by InconelWolf, Dec 23, 2019.

1. Bigredwelder

Bigredwelder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sure you probably ruled it out, but it's a new bike with new tires. How many miles had you put on it to the point that this happened? Maybe a simple as the tires not fully scrubbed in yet, combined with what is probably a bit high tire pressure from the dealer?
  2. CaseyB

CaseyB Adventually Supporter

Oddometer:
    New member, first post in the correct spot......is this you @KTMwelder?
    chippertheripper and TrailTrauma like this.
  3. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    I tried rain mode once when there was ice on sides of the road and tft shouting ice warning. Then we missed a turn and I already forgot about modes so I tried to do the usual one leg spinning turn on wet paved road.

It allowed me to do about half turn and then lost power and almost tipped over.

Half turn in speed would make it highside.

Also in other situations I've felt TC kicking in after a while kind of like made to offroad bias to allow small handy slides but prevent from over doing them.
    If this is true and not just feeling then it's no real help for situations that happen in split second.

Another thing is that I've been able to get 'MTC fail' on screen with almost every ride by doing sliding u-turns one feet on ground and in the heat of the moment not looking at tft and continue standing on pegs (tft near to my stomach area) leading to situation where I'm not aware that my TC wen't disabled.. After seeing this happen, the only setting is Rally and tc=1 (or disabled if bother to crawl through menus)

@InconelWolf Was it paved road you were riding? It would be interesting to see fault memory if you got your MTC fail. Do you recall how you got up and how was the bike?

Once you get things solved, could you post some image how 790 handles falls (assuming you still have the bike at home).
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  4. El Fidde

El Fidde Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've tooled around with the TC setting in Rally mode testing out settings 1-9 on dirt and tar. The only time I've noticed the TC light come on is when leaning over on tar with TC set to 9 - light comes on and bikes loses power. I'm yet to notice TC light come on in any situation in the dirt but it feels like it may be intervening on occasion. TC light should come on when TC is intervening yeah?
  5. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    Yeah that is another Bosche "feature" you can fault out the ABS by making one tire roll while the other is locked up, and it doesn't take very long only a second or two.

Another fun one I learned on a dyno, as long as the rear wheel is rolling you can take the key out of the ignition and leave the room and the bike will keep running until the wheel stops or you hit the kill switch.
  6. EvilSteve

EvilSteve Not so evil, not so Steve.

Oddometer:
    I've tried a few different settings on my 790 in different conditions. Sand on top of asphalt only 9 doesn't spin up. On the dirt I'm normally on somewhere around 5 or 6 is about that line but I normally ride in 2 or 3 but happy to just turn it off as well. TBH, I haven't been in a position where the rally mode TC helps (not to mention that the rally throttle is stupid). ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edit: I'm always in street throttle mode. I ride my 1290 offroad (same roads) in sport mode with TC and ABS off, that's how much I dislike rally throttle mode. LOL
  7. svneko

svneko Adventurer

Oddometer:
    As someone coming from bikes with no traction control or other rider aids, are there any stories where the thing intervened in a helpful way?
    El Fidde likes this.
  8. El Fidde

El Fidde Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cool, thanks for sharing your experience.
    I s'pose further to what I've already mentioned is that I pretty much ride in off road throttle in the dirt, rally throttle in tar twisties and street everywhere other than that.
  9. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    @svneko you can compare it to the one in your car - you rarely notice but comes to help when things begin to get out of hands. Obviously car accidents still happen despite of all the electronics.

In everyday use TC will help if don't wan't to spin back wheel. It's easy to accelerate on loose gravel (it still accelerates amazingly fast) and does not wear tire so much. I use setting between 4-6 and street throttle response when cruising but even then I don't throttle TC flashing but try to ride myself - it's just there to back me up. Going offroad I don't wan't any interfere since it would need some enduro A.I. to do right things and I wan't fastest throttle response available to lighten front in blink of an eye when needed.
  10. kubcat

kubcat Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    There are tons of those stories. This rank rookie newbie was able to get on, fiddle with some settings, and power slide/drift through gravel turns like I've been riding all my life. Very confidence inspiring.
    braaap! and CaseyB like this.
  11. Tripped1

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I got lots of them. Honestly if you aren't try to trigger electronic interference and/or watching for it you won't often notice that its working.

Grab a handful of front brake leaned all the way over sometime and tell me its not useful.

Likewise I had my finger slip off of the clutch with my 1290 Super Duke reved to about 5,000rpm, the bike jerked hard enough to take my feet off of the pegs stood up to about 9 o'clock before the anti-wheelie caught it and set it back down for me. That should have chucked me right off the back of it.

But hey, if you want to luddite you can just turn all of that crap off and its just another bike, with the dongle it'll stay off as well.
    brianbrannon and comradecasey like this.
  12. EvilSteve

Oddometer:
    There's no dongle on the 790 (yet?) AFAIK. :-(
  13. Tripped1

Oddometer:
    Doesn't rally mode save settings?
  14. EvilSteve

Oddometer:
    Yes but not "off" setting. If you turn off TC or ABS that setting isn't stored on restarts even in rally mode. Actually, I'd have to double check on the TC but I know ABS isn't saved on restarts.
  15. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    It's the other way round. Abs is saved but Tc always goes back on.
  16. EvilSteve

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I'll go double check when I get my 790 back. :-)
  17. [Art]

[Art] Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ABS is saved if set to off-road. If you disable it completely it will reset to on after an ignition cycle.
    No-Fret, EvilSteve and ramirin like this.
  18. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    Thanks for clarifying. Was thinking it could be like that..
  19. OhDuh

OhDuh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    AFAIK the traction control is lean sensitive as well. I can make my wheel spin a lot by revving when the bike is upright on a wet road. Once you accelerate a little bit in a corner with rain mode or tc 9 it instantly takes power away (at least tc9 does).

BTW rally tc only makes sense for offroading. Tc 9 and you can't drive a normal corner without interference and tc8 allows too much spin, which would fail as a road setting since you'd lie next to your bike in the next corner.

Just use street mode for roads. It allows quite a bit before interfering. Those tc settings 1-9 are meant for offroad and differ immensely from a sportsbike

And I don't know why everything thinks they are the next Chris birch? Tc8 already allows decent powerslides. Unless you are going on real soft stuff there is no need for 4 and lower.

There are some videos with birch riding real gnarly stuff with a 790r rally on tc4 or 5
    No-Fret, comradecasey and Venturer like this.
  20. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the asylum Mate! Gonna post up a pic of your bike?..
    kzeb, EvilSteve and OhDuh like this.