790 Adventure R - high side, where was the TC?

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by InconelWolf, Dec 23, 2019.

1. InconelWolf

InconelWolf Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not aware of the street being on a main route for a dump. I work at SpaceX in Hawthorne, CA and was pulling south onto Crenshaw for anyone that knows the area or wants to google it. There are railroad tracks a little further south for the observant but I crashed long before I got near those.

Basically a very urban environment, and it was dark at the time of the accident.
  2. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    Ok, I'll go with a chucked fentanyl patch then .. sunny side down. By the time you walked back to check, someone who had been chasing it as it wafted along in the wind, had caught up to it on the road after you ran it over, thrown it in a pot of water, reduced it after boiling it, drawn it up into a used syringe and shot up. Did you catch a whiff of old cheddar, or rotting teeth perchance? :rofl

Hey, seriously now, I wonder if there are any cameras in that vicinity? Even if you could see who was ahead of you, or passing at that time it might give you a clue.
  3. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Reckon this might be a case for Scully (:viking) and Mulder (douche)... Or Dr Who!
  4. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    I guess like any curbs, and medians in an urban setting, I see plenty of refuse laying around. Everything from plant matter from the median plants, to kids foil juice packs, fast food drink lids, and assorted crap. The nice thing is there are cameras at every intersection. Night time? Wouldn't be too hard to imagine something blowing about on Crenshaw BLVD/. Hopefully you might be able to put in a FOI request for footage, or at least present with a police report, and ask them to burn a copy which, if they will not hand it over outright, will be sent to your local law enforcement after which you might be able to schedule a meeting to review it together.

Crenshaw BLVD Southbound debris.jpeg Crenshaw approaching Jack Northrop - debris adjacent to, and on the median.jpeg
  5. BronNowo

BronNowo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    strange with such under powered bike...bad technique?
    brianbrannon likes this.
  6. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Tongue in cheek or just being unhelpful?
    iceman73 likes this.
  7. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    I have high-sided myself off of a SV650 with no more engine mods than a full system and a power commander.
  8. EvilSteve

EvilSteve Not so evil, not so Steve.

Oddometer:
    Talk about a conveniently located hospital.
    ramirin and BronNowo like this.
  9. BronNowo

Oddometer:
    here is shown how to save it ;)

TrailTrauma likes this.
  10. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    He's a dedicated fisherman. Always tossing out chum to see what will bite...
  11. InconelWolf

InconelWolf Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well, clearly bad technique otherwise I wouldn't have crashed..... Not suggesting the TC caused the crash, that was all me of course.

Anyway I was able to get camera footage of the crash (from multiple angles) which I can't share here since it is from my employers cameras but it confirms a pretty classic looking high side originating from an initial loss of rear tire traction (bike swung out by about 45 degrees from direction of travel during initial slide).
    I can also confirm that there was no trash, gravel or other objects in the road at the location where I lost traction. It was also a dry California evening so cool but not cold.

So I am back where I started, just looks like a classic case of heavy right hand coming out of a corner resulting in significant wheel spin, slide, over correction and into a high side. That bit is clear enough but still confused why the traction control didn't intervene in the initial loss of traction and slide. I re-watched the KTM traction control videos and my video looked just like the case with the bike with no TC :-).

Check out around 1:40 in.

Planning to try and get in contact with KTM to see if they are interested in the feedback or if there is anything on the bike that should be checked out, will be interesting to see how receptive they are.

On the plus side the damage to the bike itself was surprisingly minimal, just a bit of scraped plastic, it's totally ride-able.
    EvilSteve likes this.
  12. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great vid....your whole crash is just a big bummer but glad you are on the mend....

Can I assume from your screen name that you weld some heat shields for the Falcon 9?...cool stuff.....
    ramirin likes this.
  13. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    I'm not a lawyer, and I know you don't seem to want to pursue any action, but I wonder if there is at some sense in contacting a lawyer before reaching out to KTM. It doesn't have to lead to anything but it may bear fruit in a manner you haven't thought of. Personally IF the TC wasn't operating as it should, caused bodily harm, which in turn meant incurring added medical expenses plus time lost at work then I might be inclined to at least have an informal discussion with my family lawyer over a few belgium blondes.
  14. BronNowo

Oddometer:
    MotoGP bikes are loaded with sophisticated electronics yet still they high side quite often.
    I wouldn't rely on electronics anyway, especially on cornering ones as they are still in early stages.

https://www.autosport.com/motogp/news/71809/rossi-electronic-aids-make-bikes-boring

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/opinion/motogp/motogp-s-next-electronics-ban
    Venturer and comradecasey like this.
  15. bobnoxious67

bobnoxious67 Baby steps...

Oddometer:
    So you’re saying that the pump and mechanism/mechanics for motorcycle ABS are completely different from automotive ABS? My understanding was that all ABS operates under the same mechanical principles, which involve accumulators and a pump, and when wheel lock up happens, the ABS physically takes over that wheel and pulses brake pressure to said wheel to control braking...which is why the automotive world has taken it a step further and uses the ABS as a traction control device
  16. Toddv

Toddv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, they have a pump and pressure accumulator or they would not be able to reapply (pulse) the brakes after they "unlock" the wheel. ABS is also used in stability control systems in cars to apply brakes in certain situations, but that doesn't apply on 2 wheels.
    bobnoxious67 likes this.
  17. Tripped1

Oddometer:
    The Bosche systems KTM uses quite literally trade fluid between the front and rear circuits.

There is no accumulator, there is only a valve, trace out your brake lines sometime, you'll see.
  18. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    Care to explain further? All hoses go to abs unit and that's all you can see.
  19. Tripped1

Oddometer:
    Yeah that is all that there is

The ABS valve fits in the palm of your hand, an accumulator set up is much larger. multistrada_1200_brakes_abs_pump_bleed_nipple_install_06.jpg

This is the rear of a Multistrada 1200, note the valve with the brake lines and bleeders, that big bronze tube across the rear is the accumulator. This doesn't exist on any relatively recent KTM that I have ever seen.

I CAN tell you from experience that the ABS uses the two circuits as the relief space, I have over flowed my front brake res by standing all over the rear ABS (surprise gravel road on a 1290 Super Duke with street tires).
  20. Toddv

Toddv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here is a photo that clearly shows the pump motor sticking out of the ABS module... You can't just rob braking power from the front or rear brakes to reapply the brakes after relieving pressure, why if you're only applying the front brake?

Now older rear abs only cars functioned without a pump, they used an acumilator to relive brake pressure and did not reapply pressure, they were more designed to prevent a loss of control than improve breaking performance.
    downloadfile.jpg
    bobnoxious67 likes this.