790 Adventure R - high side, where was the TC?

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by InconelWolf, Dec 23, 2019.

1. GPD323

GPD323 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I watched a friend lose control on his 2013 ZX14 with TC after hitting some wet spots while he was accelerating. Big wag of the tail and down he went. I don't think TC can save you from all situations.
    comradecasey likes this.
  2. 2 SPOT

2 SPOT bring the rape whistle

Oddometer:
    the way folks are these days i can see lawsuits blaming electronic "aides" for crashes.
    Vectored2adv, kzeb and Venturer like this.
  3. comradecasey

comradecasey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds like what OP is fishing for...
    brianbrannon and 2 SPOT like this.
  4. EvilSteve

EvilSteve Not so evil, not so Steve.

Oddometer:
    I checked this on my bike today. In Rally mode, if you disable MTC completely and ABS, turning the bike off and on again enables both.
  5. OhDuh

OhDuh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It's due to regulation. At least with abs. leave that on off-road which makes more sense anyway unless you ride on sand or other extremely loose stuff and it won't reset.

And with the tc I can powerslide on 8. And always remember that speed plays a big role for the tc. at (near) Stand still you can let the tyre spin all day with tc 9. So I didn't find a reason to go below 4 yet. (we don't have sand here)
  6. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    Tc will fail if you spin it standing. At least I have got it fail almost everyride doing spinning u-turn from stand still..

Yes, it's only the offroad mode that is stored.
    kzeb likes this.
  7. Orfeas

Orfeas Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Just found this on YT, high side on Street mode (?)
    Jump to 9:40 for the crash & 27:46 for bike aftermath
    Jeremy K and TrailTrauma like this.
  8. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:

That's a low side... no biggie

Bad ass Aussies...that wasn't good...followed by laughing and the desire for a beer

Ckassic
  9. InconelWolf

InconelWolf Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looks very familiar from my own crash except this guy was sensible enough to just let it go on the initial low side vs fighting it back into a high side like I did (less damaging to the clavicle).

I have since ridden my bike on warm dry roads in 'rain mode' and found the traction control to be pretty intrusive (what I was hoping for plus it confirms it is somewhat working) kicking in with very moderate throttle openings on corner exits on warm clean roads (sunny 60-70F) and warm tires (>30min continuous riding), you can even feel it robbing power if you ask for a bit more. Tires now have >130 miles on them so are now out of the break in period (at least according to the use manual which says to ride carefully for the first 200km/124miles). So wondering if the loss of traction can be real, are the tires really that slippy? I feel like I have ridden harder in the past with bikes that had full knobbies. At some point once I am super comfortable with the bike (and the COVID has passed) I will get brave and try out street mode again under similar controlled conditions.

I guess I am coming to the conclusion that 'street mode' gives a reasonable amount of latitude and in combination with the relatively high power and the mixed review Karoo tires creates a risky area of the operating envelope where a slide can get away from its ability to recover on road surfaces with inconsistent or reduced grip (that seems to be what happened to both me and the guy above in the youtube video). Personally I think I will now tend to keep the bike in rain mode for normal street riding, especially commuting etc and enjoy the extra protection. To be honest I actually kind of prefer the softer throttle response for normal every day riding and I am not ashamed to say 94hp might be more than I need on a daily basis. Anyone know exactly how much the power is reduced in rain mode? I can't seem to find it anywhere, my 'feeling' would be that it is somewhere in the 70hp-ish range as it still feels sporty but very usable but that's just a guess. My old Africa Twin (97 model with the 750 not the modern one) pushed out about 60hp with plenty of usable torque and was always able to make ample progress without ever feeling over powered.

The above are just my random opinions, feel free ignore and just assume I am a terrible rider :-)
    No-Fret and BobcatSig like this.
  10. BobcatSig

BobcatSig They call me... Huckajawea

Oddometer:
    As KTM hasn't come out and said there's a specific power reduction in other modes; my guess is that it's more about power delivery and less about delivering or cutting power off at a certain level.

As a counterpoint, Ducati came out and said very plainly that in two of their modes on the first generation Multistrada 1200 had 100hp vs the 150hp in the other modes.
  11. InconelWolf

InconelWolf Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Could be.

The manual states: "reduced homologated performance" for rain mode, whereas for Street mode it states "homologated performance with balanced response"
    My understanding of that was reduced power since they call out the response somewhat separately. To me it certainly 'feels' like both a softer response and less power but I am not sure that is worth much.
    I guess no way to know for sure without putting one on a dyno since they don't seem to publish any numbers...
    Was really just wondering if anyone had some numbers from somewhere.
  12. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    When they were in Morocco last year, Quinn Cody commented that offroad throttle response delivered 'less torque' than rally.
    No-Fret likes this.