790 Adventure R rear shock failure

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by [Art], Oct 19, 2019.

1. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    That’s awesome! Also, just to be clear, I think I was closest to their diagnosis :y0!
    kubcat likes this.
  2. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    KTM picked up the tab in my case. It was just out of warranty but had been previously rebuilt by a different dealer so there was some history involved.
  3. new2adv

new2adv Converting gas into wheelies since 1974

Oddometer:
    Hey @windblown101, are you saying your shock failed twice?
  4. windblown101

Oddometer:
    Yes and no. Solid Performance addressed some issues that didnt get addressed during the first rebuild that was done at a different KTM shop that necessitated a 2nd rebuild.
  5. SoilSampleDave

Oddometer:
    Still curious what a repair would cost, since my bike just went out of warranty.
  6. Some_Dude

Some_Dude Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Locally, it’s $150 for basic seals and refill, $200 adds clean and polish of internals, and $280 for a complete overhaul.
    SoilSampleDave likes this.
  7. kubcat

kubcat Riding is Eudaemonic Supporter

Oddometer:
    I bought my R in June 2019, gave my VIN to them, and they said it's covered. No worries.
    merc16 and SoilSampleDave like this.
  8. devotionliner

devotionliner Armadillo Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’m in the same situation, bought the R in June 2019. Taking it to the dealer tomorrow. Fingers crossed it will be covered under warranty.
    lithodave likes this.
  9. DirtyDaveMO

DirtyDaveMO Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I dropped my 2019 R off Saturday. It has 5800 miles on it and I bought it last fall. I had the Camel heat shield on for about the last 4K miles. I am about 250 lbs dressed out and was riding in Colorado when it must have blew its wad. I heard some clunking but thought it might have been the kickstand or something else I didn't need. I didn't notice anything wrong until I unloaded the trailer when I got home to Missouri. My dealer got the shock shipped out to Ohio on Saturday Fed-X.
  10. Tigerkf

Tigerkf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I guess in that case there's no need for me to order the camel heat shield. Thanks for that! I guess it's just defective seals to start with.
    lithodave likes this.
  11. devotionliner

devotionliner Armadillo Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just got a call from the dealer. KTM rejected the claim as my bike is out of warranty. Dealer said its $1800 for a new KTM shock. I'm not going to do that.

Have others replaced the shock? with what?

or is a rebuild a better option? Recommendation for that?
  12. windblown101

Oddometer:
    That's crappy given the fact it's a common failure rather than an unexplainable fluke. I would guess the dealer didnt try very hard or has a bad relationship with KTM. How many miles on the bike?

If you're handy with a wrench I'd say yank it off and send it to a reputable suspension shop that is well versed in this particular shock for a rebuild. It will be a ton less money than a new (and over priced) shock from KTM. Cant believe they didnt at least offer it at cost.

Both Torque and Konflict have made many inmates extremely happy with zero complaints about either of them. Another option I can vouch for is Solid Performance in PA. Or you could bite the bullet and get the Pro shock. That will be serious money too though.
    BHoward likes this.
  13. new2adv

new2adv Converting gas into wheelies since 1974

Oddometer:
    In my limited experience, it seems to always come down the dealer and the amount of credibility they have with head office. My local dealer told me that customers calling HQ themselves and ripping a strip off KTM customer service was more effective than them (my dealer) vouching for a customer... I think that says more about my dealer than it does about KTM.
    TrailTrauma and BHoward like this.
  14. [Art]

[Art] Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wut? You don't have a two years guarantee on your bike? Mine is from April 2019, and is good until April 2021…

[Late edit: it seems te 24 months is limited to the following countries: Austria, Belgium, Czech republic, France, Germany, Hungary, Italy, Luxembourg, Nederland, Poland, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain and Switzerland. It's not even an EU thing as I don't see Portugal or Greece in there amongst others]

[Even later edit: It seems the US is also 24 months, the 790 *is* a street motorcycle is it not? https://www.ktm.com/en-us/service/warranty.html]
  15. Tigerkf

Tigerkf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just read that link and it states that the service and inspections must be carried out by an authorized KTM dealer. That's a nice try but not true. In the US this is covered by the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act enacted in 1975. It also covers things like using non factory oil as long as it meets the required specs.
    comradecasey likes this.
  16. AdvRonski

AdvRonski They call me......Ronski

Oddometer:
    In the US, the 790 Standard has a 24 month warranty, while the 790R, and presumably the 790 Rally, have a 12 month warranty.
    BHoward and SoilSampleDave like this.
  17. BHoward

BHoward Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is accurate /\.
    KTM standard operating procedure has been 2 years on S models and 1 year on R models in the U.S.
  18. Tigerkf

Tigerkf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When I bought my R the finance guy at the dealership showed me paperwork for my bike that said Warranty: 24 months. Did he show me paperwork for another bike or did it change between 2019 and 2020?
  19. SoilSampleDave

Oddometer:
    Don’t know; I have a 2019 USA model and I can tell you it’s only a year.
    BHoward likes this.
  20. CaseyB

CaseyB Adventually Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not the updated posts for rear shock not being covered that I wanted to see

Add me to the list. Started bike up right now and saw a small amount of smoke off cat. Rode it 20 mins and smoke increased. Just came back. I can clearly see where the shock oil is coming out in a slowwwww drip

To add insult to injury, my tft blacked out. Worked fine yesterday while in the shed messing with something non related. Today, small bit of smoke, blacked out tft and I still was trying to continue on to visit a friend. But the gods were working against me. Now I’m left with lawn work :doh