790 Adventure R rear shock failure

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by [Art], Oct 19, 2019.

1. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just dont fry it from lack of oil!
  2. Some_Dude

Some_Dude Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Worst case scenario is I get a new WP Pro out of it.
    windblown101 likes this.
  3. Fabnut

Fabnut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m still yet to be enticed into retiring my 990 to fit into a 790, with shit like this happening to a bike KTM want me to believe is a serious premium product. Their pumped up designer press maybe at fever pitch, but I’m underwhelmed.
    PomInOz_, lithodave and Ljislink like this.
  4. AdvRonski

AdvRonski They call me......Ronski

Oddometer:
    As if the 950/990 line hasn’t had it’s share of issues. Too bad, but you’re the one missing out on the off-road performance the 790 offers, which is on another level above a 990.
    BHoward likes this.
  5. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    Reminds me of those people who announce they are leaving forum group. It’s not an airport; no need to announce your departure.
    Brilloman, comradecasey and BHoward like this.
  6. Fabnut

Fabnut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I dont deny for one minute that from a performance perspective the 790 would be superior in just about every way to my 990 and freely accept their early issues, no contest there, but the thing is I got so pumped for the 790, as it was spruked as the prodigal son of Adv and the true replacement for the 990, where the 1190 was not, only to hear about this rear shock bullshit, and its just been a massive come down.

Ive had a long love affair with KTM going back to the mid 80's and Im still a fan, mostly, but from time to time they are capable of acts of absolute confounding engineering that youd never see from say a Japanese manufacturer, and a recent example of that is the 1190's drafty airbox, which not only come out of the factory with more breaches than wikileaks, it remarkably stayed in production till 2019. Thats an astonishing 7 year act of denial in anyones book, and so as much as you patronised me about my 990, I wouldnt want to be a 790 owner hanging by my balls waiting for a definitive fix for the shock issue it any time soon. I do love my KTMs, but sometimes they really need a bollocking for their shitfuckery.

KTM's build ethos.......... 90% genius and 10% WTF
    merc16 likes this.
  7. kubcat

kubcat Riding is Eudaemonic Supporter

Oddometer:
    It sounds like your worry is only based on reading blogs and trade rags. Almost all of the 790 owners I am in communication with (mostly here) are riding the piss out of them while the weather is still good.

The shock issue is an early design issue only on the ADVR that is easily resolvable by working with a WP service center. I doubt anyone buying new today would even have a shock issue, since its my understanding that the mods have been incorporated into the production configuration by WP.

I continue to have a ball riding my 790R. It just keeps getting better and better to ride as my skills and confidence improve. I re-did Section 3 of the NEBDR this weekend and the bike loves those expert sections up north of Mt. Greylock and into VT, as well as October Mountain further south.
    comradecasey likes this.
  8. SoilSampleDave

Oddometer:
    Exactly - there IS a fix for the shock. It's not like we are all parked in the garage because no one can figure out how to make the shock work :loco
    kubcat likes this.
  9. AdvRonski

AdvRonski They call me......Ronski

Oddometer:
    The only shock issues I've had to deal with are just finding a valving setup for the high-speed desert riding around here, through the rocks and whoops. An SKF seal head will ensure a leak-free shock, but most will want a suspension update anyway. And, as has been noted many times here, the folks that have issues are far outnumbered by those that don't, and we seem to only hear from those few, while the rest of us are out riding.
    Fabnut and BHoward like this.
  10. windblown101

Oddometer:
    Well.... To be fair your shock no longer even resembles the stock unit. Remote reservoir, aftermarket seal head, lot of internal changes too I imagine. ;)

Not sure the blown R shocks on the early models is what I would call rare. Mostly it seems to be just "hasn't blown yet". A lot of these bikes don't see much use. More than one poster came in here and said "My shock is fine" just to come back later to report it had blown.
  11. SoilSampleDave

Oddometer:
    But it’s an easy fix! It’s not like you have to park it for months while engineers try and find a solution.
  12. windblown101

Oddometer:
    Very true. If you have a good dealer, or bypass them. It's certainly not something that would change my mind about buying the bike but it is a bit of a PITA regardless.
  13. BHoward

BHoward Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have had a 950, 990, 1190 and now a 790 Rally.
    Every bike is a little better in its own way. However the 790 is far above the rest in a very high level. I have always sent my suspension out for work and the 790Rally is no exception. If someone doesn't want to buy the 790 because they think the rear shock is bad, that is a shame.
    Best bike ever.
    windblown101 and AdvRonski like this.
  14. Fabnut

Fabnut Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have no doubt the 790 is a fantastic machine and Ive already said that, but thats not in question. What is tho is the way KTM seem to drop the ball when it comes to their production equipment. And we are talking about a company that has 19 consecutive dakar titles, and multiple other championships in other disciplines to its name, so their engineering knowledge and experience must be immense, but yet they turn up a bike with a leaky shock..... really ? :lol3:lol3:lol3
  15. windblown101

Oddometer:
    I've said it before but warrants repeating... If it were not for the issues that need to be addressed that creep into KTM production models KTM would rule the world and then where would we be? ;)

I have to step back occasionally and admit that "issues" do creep into production runs both at the design stage and at the QC stage of all motorcycles occasionally. It's just frustrating when it happens. Moreso if the manufacturer is slow to respond and rectify them and dealers are sometimes reluctant to address them due to the low labor rate they get for warranty work.

Still, my 790 has been around the US and gotten me back home once already and I thoroughly enjoyed the experience, so much so that I'm going to see if it will to see if it can do it again. Coast to coast with the sun racing me to the horizon each day.
    sledneck, Fabnut, CaseyB and 3 others like this.
  16. SoilSampleDave

Oddometer:
    The shock is from their subsidiary WP; I think all of us would agree that a complete sacking and re-org there would do a world of good.
    Fabnut likes this.
  17. Fabnut

Fabnut Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Well said :thumb
    terrascout likes this.
  18. terrascout

terrascout Long timer

Oddometer:
    NW Arkansas, Hills and Curves close at hand
    Ok back to rear shock questions.

What could make the 790R sit lower after the rear shock repair? I haven't got to look at it. Just noticed and thought about it this morning when it wanted to roll forward off the side stand
  19. SoilSampleDave

Oddometer:
    They didn't set the preload the same as when it came in is the easiest answer before thinking about things like stiction.
  20. terrascout

terrascout Long timer

Oddometer:
    NW Arkansas, Hills and Curves close at hand
    Thank that was my first thought also but I thought I would put it out there for the greater knowledge base present here.