790 Adventure R rear shock failure

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by [Art], Oct 19, 2019.

1. Torque

Torque Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When the fluid is lost so is the nitrogen pressure against the seal head as the reservoir piston bottoms out.
    This allows the seal head, one of the two items that keeps the shock shaft centered in the shock body, free to float up and down inside the shock body.
    The seal head can clunk as it tops out. But now that you mention the secondary piston I guess it is possible for the seal head to stay with the secondary piston. This would reduce the centering effect on the shock shaft and may allow the piston to make contact with the bottoming cone. Not sure? But it is common to get the clunk from seal head. Guess you will find out as soon as it comes apart.
    braaap!, markverCA and EvilSteve like this.
  2. Alpha 1

Alpha 1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    just got mine back, WP rebuilt the shock all I could get from the dealer was Rebuilt with up dated parts was hoping they would give me some better info.
    braaap! and markverCA like this.
  3. markverCA

markverCA n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the update Alpha 1. How long did WP take to return your shock? Also did they extend a new warranty period? I've heard some of the rebuilds have failed in very few miles.
  4. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, it would be good to know what ‘updated’ parts are / means... Maybe there will be a recall / tech bulletin issued down the track?
    Will await further developments (my shock is all good for now)
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  5. Alpha 1

Alpha 1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It took about a week from when i was told it was being shipped out to be rebuilt until the dealer called for me to pick up, my dealer had the bike about 2 weeks with KTM telling them that no rebuild kits or replacement shocks were available, I called KTM customer service and had a call back the same day saying that it was going to ship out for rebuild, got to say I was surprised they actually called with a answer so quick.
    did not ask about a extension on warranty.
  6. markverCA

markverCA n00b

Oddometer:

Torque, Thanks for your work on this issue! Great tips, following now to find some solutions.
    braaap! likes this.