790 Adventure R rear shock failure

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by [Art], Oct 19, 2019.

1. Torque

Torque Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When the fluid is lost so is the nitrogen pressure against the seal head as the reservoir piston bottoms out.
    This allows the seal head, one of the two items that keeps the shock shaft centered in the shock body, free to float up and down inside the shock body.
    The seal head can clunk as it tops out. But now that you mention the secondary piston I guess it is possible for the seal head to stay with the secondary piston. This would reduce the centering effect on the shock shaft and may allow the piston to make contact with the bottoming cone. Not sure? But it is common to get the clunk from seal head. Guess you will find out as soon as it comes apart.
    braaap!, markverCA and EvilSteve like this.
  2. Alpha 1

Alpha 1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    just got mine back, WP rebuilt the shock all I could get from the dealer was Rebuilt with up dated parts was hoping they would give me some better info.
    Colorado Uli, braaap! and markverCA like this.
  3. markverCA

markverCA n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the update Alpha 1. How long did WP take to return your shock? Also did they extend a new warranty period? I've heard some of the rebuilds have failed in very few miles.
  4. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, it would be good to know what ‘updated’ parts are / means... Maybe there will be a recall / tech bulletin issued down the track?
    Will await further developments (my shock is all good for now)
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  5. Alpha 1

Alpha 1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It took about a week from when i was told it was being shipped out to be rebuilt until the dealer called for me to pick up, my dealer had the bike about 2 weeks with KTM telling them that no rebuild kits or replacement shocks were available, I called KTM customer service and had a call back the same day saying that it was going to ship out for rebuild, got to say I was surprised they actually called with a answer so quick.
    did not ask about a extension on warranty.
  6. markverCA

markverCA n00b

Oddometer:

Torque, Thanks for your work on this issue! Great tips, following now to find some solutions.
    braaap! likes this.
  7. trapperj

trapperj Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just went over 600 miles. After 3rd ride I had a small puddle of clear liquid under the rear bash plate. Didn’t think too much of it. Then after yesterday’s longer harder ride (all blacktop) there’s a much bigger puddle underneath. It’s clear. Can’t see exactly where it’s coming from. Is this likely the shock? Damn. Thought perhaps I was a luck one. :(sigh
  8. markverCA

markverCA n00b

Oddometer:
    Mine just dripped onto the catalytic converter and rear fender well, couldn't tell what color it was. However the dust and dirt will collect up by the shock spring and seal areas. If enough oil has been lost the shock will clank when bouncing on the bike in the garage...
  9. markverCA

markverCA n00b

Oddometer:
    I just got my rear shock back, KTM/WP rebuilt the shock under warranty. WP has a 3 day turn time for repairs, plus 3 days shipping and 3 days return shipping, so total time +-10 Days. My Modesto, Cal KTM dealer provided excellent service and all was covered under warranty.
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  10. Knolff

Knolff Adventurer

Oddometer:
    IMG_9188.jpg
    Here is a look at my shock, took about 1,000 miles to get to this point. Repaired under warranty, about the same timeline as @markverCA
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  11. markverCA

markverCA n00b

Oddometer:
    Are you saying you already had it repaired and it failed again with only 1,000 miles?
  12. trapperj

Oddometer:
    Well I had thought at some point I’d replace the spring for my weight. Nows a good time to do that I reckon. I’m probably 225-230 with full gear. Any idea of a part #? Would it be just
    One size up or more?
  13. Torque

Torque Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2 rates minimum.
    trapperj likes this.
  14. Knolff

Knolff Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No, only failed once...I was just indicating that I experienced approx. the same turn time as you for the repair.
    markverCA likes this.
  15. trapperj

Oddometer:
    Turns out, I am wrong. My 790 was leaking coolant. I reckon I assumed that since so many others had the shock failure that it was my problem too. A screwdriver and a few turns on the clamp @ the thermostat & it appears it’s all good.

As always, this forum rocks. Thanks all.

I still want/ need a heavier rear spring though!
    markverCA likes this.
  16. Colorado Uli

Colorado Uli Must I?

Oddometer:
    0 miles on my R. Noticed the dripping shock shit when it was on my trailer from a dealer in the Denver area. Never even sat on it. I stopped at a gas station to fill up the car for the five hour haul back home when this nice fellow asked me questions about the bike and I proudly talked about how amazing the suspension is supposed to be. Great shock! “The one that’s dripping oil?”
    Dealer sales guy was surprised as though he never heard of it. Perhaps he didn’t.
    It’s a KTM thing. I should be pissed off, but I’m a loyal customer, used to these episodes of Austro-Engineering-Fallibilities.
  17. AdvRonski

AdvRonski They call me......Ronski

Oddometer:
    Disappointing, for sure. But, prepare to be underwhelmed by the stock suspension. I honestly don’t know why it gets any accolades at all.
    Subaruvich and justinope like this.
  18. OhDuh

OhDuh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Could the heat issue be due to people removing their cat thus changing the heat dissipation? It's not allowed in Europe and a lot less people do it because of the fines. Then again we also have a lot less places to go offroad and most likely have a higher percentage of on road drivers

Edit: What I wanted to say is that we have no reports of failure on the German speaking forum consisting of Austrian Swiss and German people.
  19. offroadjunky

offroadjunky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You should have added in my opinion.
  20. Scourge

Scourge Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is this still a thing on new 2020 bikes or is it limited to a time frame? As in... while I'm shopping should I be concentrating on new arrivals or is it just a thing to expect to have to have fixed eventually? I have read elsewhere on the interwebz that it is related to a chrome defect on the shaft which seems like it should be isolated to a batch of dampers and eliminated after a certain date when they found it.

It looks to be a 10 day turn-around if you have a good dealer - do most have loaners? My local dealer says "We don't do that" because (presumably) they are a powersports dealer that dabbles in motorcycles as a hobby or something.