790 Adventure R Suspension Mods

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by windblown101, Jul 5, 2019.

1. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've actually intentionally set fork tubes to slightly different heights above the top triple if they are slightly different lengths at full extension (which can happen due to slight differences in the assembly and parts of each fork) so that the axle slides thru both forks easily when they are fully extended. But I'm not a suspension guy and don't know if it's better to have a slight mismatch dealt with at the top of bottom of the fork stroke.
  2. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Perhaps some of the tension in this thread would ease if there was some clarification.

As this is not a vendor thread, selling of services or items doesn't seem appropriate.

It looks as though torque has a potential customer base here and should consider becoming a vendor and promoting his business.
  3. coloktmGS

coloktmGS Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Yea, cause anyone with talent, skills and the audacity to make a buck must be shut down immediately. Let’s make sure ADVRIDER remains a place where the knowledgeable are segregated into the vendor section and the threads looking for help are full of clowns measuring their blinker fluid.
    Delbouy and Vince like this.
  4. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Who said shut down?

If someone is selling something on Advrider they need to become a vendor like everyone else..

Level playing field...accountability
  5. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    Ok, got it reset. In the manner in which I measured I've brought that figure up to 48.5mm. So a net gain of about 4mm. And torqued to specs (107 in/lbs bottom, 133 in/lbs top).

I'll play with the shock preload next time I do loops to see if this moves me in the right direction.
  6. CaseyB

CaseyB Adventually Supporter

Oddometer:
    Where were you guys when every tank on a 790 needed a giant condom?
    Dusty, TrailTrauma and AdvRonski like this.
  7. Torque

Torque Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I see your point. I listed springs when asked and more. I mentioned my website as well. That is selling. I truly and honestly have as much work as I can handle.
    Worked over 10 hours today not including this addictive thread. Have to miss church tomorrow to work. Yet I get on here and sell. Maybe I should be selling insurance? Might have missed my calling.
    So becoming a vendor is not in my best interest.
    I am not upset with you guys at all. I read back and I was too strong and it sounded like a pitch.
    As I said before "Sorry you are correct, I will stop" and then explained just one of the frustrations that fuels some of the passion.
    Its not about sales so much as it is about the frustrations. The drinking of the kool-aid's. I want to prove points just because I get frustrated with what I read. So what do I do. First have to prove that I am viable. Then maybe with some weight, by example, with hands on, inmate builds, with video proof, some will listen to the reality that many are being played.
    If I have to read another,
    Oh I put a Doo Wopio in my forks for nearly $2000 dollars and it rides like I am on a cloud! Shoot me please! Or put your video on so we can see the performance. Even though the Doo Wopio is a carbon copy of an oem cartridge, that was not a high performer, but now it has better shim shuffle.

I apologize again for my indiscretion and I obviously took the wrong tac.
    So do we want to retain the good of this thread?
    Especially in light that Ron and I discussed giving up many if not all the details of the shock to willing inmates.
    In light of the the fact that we all are learning. Piston flip simply did not enter my mind. A tac I have used in the past and here comes Ron and he nailed dead nuts.
    For those that do want to hang in there, stay tuned for hopefully round two, long travel. For those that do not, log off and go buy a set of Doo Wopio's :) I am Italian so I can say Wopio.
    In addition those that do depart, they will be back to see about the long travel 790R. They will not be capable of staying away. But likely they will do it quietly. I am cracking myself up!

So I have a question for you guys.
    I have a set of open bath forks that perform at their best with a 105mm oil level.
    My customer had me shorten the forks 1 inch.

Do I raise the oil level, add more oil? To get the same air spring.
    Do I Lower the oil level, less oil? To get the same air spring.
    Brilloman, kzeb and TrailTrauma like this.
  8. Vargubau

Vargubau Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sir, there is no need to react to every comment on this forum or any other, for that matter. Save Your sanity. I've used Your services before (Africa Twin) - will use again as a result of that exoerience. Thank You for what You do.
    Subaruvich and TrailTrauma like this.
  9. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    I'll be the last guy that should take a swing at this, answering first ;)

By lowering internally, do you lose some of the stroke? If it becomes shorter then maybe adding a bit more oil will firm it up at the new mid-stroke and beyond to compensate; holding the rider up in the stroke longer?. I suppose you could always soften up the dampening if you add more oil, as well. Ride, play with the dampening, ride, repeat. If he's hard in the whoops, add more oil, and if he just cruises add the same. Do we have to account for the volume of the spacer used too?

Ok, now beat the tar out of my BS and teach us all the logic behind the correct answer.
  10. kzeb

kzeb Been here quite some time

Oddometer:
    I'm to old for this shit and I don't get it either... or care... condoms... my whereabouts... WTF...
    Give it a rest & lighten up dudes.
  11. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll couch my response by stating again that I'm not a suspension guy, but my first instinct says you would reduce the amount of oil to retain the same amount of air spring.

I'm having some trouble wrapping my head around it though so I've been vacillating on my response, LOL.
  12. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    Oil level is always a balancing act, more air = more compliance....more oil = more consistency. The balance is decided by the quality of the valving.

Theoretically, and all else being equal I would lower the oil level by 25mm and see how it went.
  13. kzeb

Oddometer:
    This is my front suspension plan as of now, need to swap the lower axlemounts (to Ø34mm) if keeping the oem tubeless wheel and of course a few other $pendy things for making it work.
    Anybody changed the wheelaxle mounts on their forks here and know what is involved in the swap ?
    Or how hard it is to get hold of those parts ? 1.jpg
  14. Torque

Torque Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Trail Trauma you got it.
    Less travel to compress the air so oil level would be higher. Ding ding ding, winner winner winner!

Correct, less oil more compliance. But more oil equates to more progression as air spring ramps up at bottom of stroke.

Removing lugs can be challenging or not. Sometimes they are pinned with a set screw. Remove those first. Then pump grease or oil with zerk fittings in the fork protector holes. I use a grease gun and put a bit of heat to the thread area while pumping so it will suck the grease in.
    Then you are ready to mount your chrome tube generally with a pin going through the holes in the top of the chrome tube to hold it in place. Then heat and twist them off. Too much heat damages threads and not enough heat the loctite will not release. Balancing act.
    Doing one this week for a 990 / 950 conversion.
  15. AdvRonski

AdvRonski They call me......Ronski

Oddometer:
    I would want to be sure the Ohlins fork has the same size and pitch threads as the WP fork before trying that.
  16. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    Have you talked to the “factory” Ohlins shop in North Carolina? They are really nice, helpful people in my one experience with them.
  17. Torque

Torque Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think ktm generally uses a 1.0 pitch but will confirm if you need.
  18. kzeb

Oddometer:
    @Torque :Thank you for your insight and explanation! now I understand what's involved and needs to be done for keeping the tubeless wheel very helpfull info.
    We'll se how it goes might get a custom wheel instead and go with tube and the smaller axle diameter and skip the modern radial caliper, will go mono either way.
    If it's a easy thing for you to check the pitch I'd be grateful otherwise it's fine. I bet you have enough work as it is.. :thumb

Thanks for the tip on that one :thumbup will check it out to begin with.

Thanks but I'm in EU up north where one would expect it's easy to get intouch with Öhlins but no.. well I'll get it sorted out som how.

:beer
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  19. Torque

Torque Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Both WP and KYB 1.0 threads. The real question is the seal at the bottom of the chrome tube. That and the bottoming cone need to be made or modified sometimes.
  20. Noyah

Noyah poser

Oddometer:
    Where in Scandinavia are you? I live 20 minutes from the Öhlins HQ in Stockholm if you need help getting in contact.