790 Adventure R Suspension Mods

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by windblown101, Jul 5, 2019.

1. Konflict Motorsports

Konflict Motorsports TUNER Supporter

Oddometer:
    I truly believe they are relying on the aftermarket to fill this void, we all know they do this to a certain degree. It doesn't make it right but it does happen all too often.
  2. AdvRonski

AdvRonski They call me......Ronski

Oddometer:
    TT, I would agree with Konflict on this, in that some changes would be required for stiffer springs. But, the basic configuration of the valving is there, so the tweaks should be pretty straightforward.
    I'm hoping to hear about some actual updated parts for the shock failures, but at this point, I would probably go with an SKF seal head if mine develops a leak.
    BTW- Last week, I saw some oil residue under the rear shock, and felt that sinking feeling that comes with something going wrong. BUT- it was just the hydraulic preload adjuster, which is a separate, self-contained unit that slides off the shock, after the spring is removed. I had my dealer take pictures, and they contacted KTM about a warranty replacement.
    Well, as it turns out, KTM wants the whole shock assembly returned for any failures, even though the shock itself is OK. So, that's not happening, for me at least. I would imagine they would take one look at the mods in there, and deny the claim, charge me some exorbitant amount, then send me back a stock unit.
    Anyway, some info on updated parts would be good news.
    Colorado Uli and TrailTrauma like this.
  3. Konflict Motorsports

Oddometer:
    I applaud the work you've done with Tourqe, it's always great seeing people diving into and seeing how many variables come in to play and different theories etc. We've got the tooling to rebuild the pre-load adjuster if you feel like popping it off and sending it out our way we can rebuild it for you. We have tested with the SKF seal head already and it's in the lineup but did not solve the problem entirely.
    We will post up soon once everything is complete.
    Dusty and AdvRonski like this.
  4. factoryphil

factoryphil Adventurer

Oddometer:
    tell the dealer to have the shock warranty approved and delivered before you give them your old shock , or just swap the preload part when you get the warranty shock .
  5. AdvRonski

Oddometer:
    It doesn't seem to work that way. AFAIK, they send my shock to a WP authorized repair shop, then they rebuild the unit. If I can't reseal the unit myself, I can always send it to Konflict.
    Konflict Motorsports likes this.
  6. factoryphil

factoryphil Adventurer

Oddometer:
    mine got replaced / removed only after the new one was delivered to the dealer
  7. PapaToe

PapaToe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    As someone who is on the waitlist for a 2020, I'm interested if anyone knows or has heard if they are making any adjustments to the OEM shock for the s / r models.
  8. Konflict Motorsports

Oddometer:
    I cannot speak on behalf of the manufacturer in any way but my hunch feeling is that there are going to be some changes in the suspension department on these applications, they may be small and incremental though..
    PapaToe likes this.
  9. Konflict Motorsports

Oddometer:
    Just a thought but if you get in a pinch, we have a few OEM 790 ADV R shocks laying around, I'm sure we can poach one of the preload adjusters and send it your way, you send us yours and we rebuild it and throw it on the spare units we have in stock.
    markverCA, TrailTrauma and AdvRonski like this.
  10. PapaToe

PapaToe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I hope you're right.

I passed on a '17 Africa twin because of their fork issues, and I'm a little disappointed to hear about the 790 shock, though from what I can tell it's not nearly as widespread as the AT issue.

It's fair to say there is no perfect stock ride out there, well other than the KLR650 of course.
  11. kzeb

kzeb Been here quite some time

Oddometer:
    :doh
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  12. AdvRonski

Oddometer:
    This video provides an overview of the new WP Xact forks and shock. The shock has technology that is not in the Xplor Pro components that are available for the 790, but it does give you an interesting look inside the mythical cone valves in the forks.
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Dusty, Fabricator and TrailTrauma like this.
  13. Snowhite808

Snowhite808 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have any of the rebuilt shock units held up afterwards?
    Our friend at a WP workshop said that one they did, failed within a few hours again - was sent to factory then.
  14. ramirin

ramirin Ready to push

Oddometer:
    Suspension is pretty brilliant piece of engineering art these days :0-0
  15. AdvRonski

Oddometer:
    As a follow-up on the failure of the preload adjuster on my shock, I found one of the bleed screws was loose, which allowed a good portion of it's fluid to leak out. I checked the o-ring on the screw, and tightened it securely, then used the filler plug at the end of the adjuster to fill and bleed the adjuster. A squeeze bottle of oil for a Scotts steering damper worked perfectly to accomplish this operation, and it's working normally now. Thanks to Konflict for their generous offer to to a quick turn-around swap, but this took care of things for now.
    preload2.jpg
  16. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    So we should all check those screws for tightness, you think Ron? Good catch!
    No-Fret and AdvRonski like this.
  17. factoryphil

factoryphil Adventurer

Oddometer:
    has Konflict or anyone stated the reason for the shock failures yet ? did i miss it somewhere or doesn't anyone know ? i thought Konflict was going to post the reason a while ago .
  18. Fabricator

Fabricator Hello Moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    I believe that the last update from Konflict regarding the ADVR shock issue can be found here...
  19. factoryphil

factoryphil Adventurer

Oddometer:
    as the last part of the post stated they still had not stated the reason for the blown seals , that was October 22 and where still working on a fix with a new part that they will not say until further testing is done .
  20. IanC

IanC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Forgive me, I've not read all 300 posts in this thread.

But who makes/sells stiffer springs for both ends on an R? I think WP offers +1 on the rear, and that's it.