790 Adventure R Suspension Mods

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by windblown101, Jul 5, 2019.

1. Toddv

Toddv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Gotcha!
  2. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    When the time comes for stretching the rear, or the remote reservoir install, winter for a lot of would be ideal but I know you have a ton on the go. Let us know when you are in stride, and we can begin packaging things up to send you for those who wish to go beyond spring swaps.
    Camel ADV likes this.
  3. Ohuraboy

Ohuraboy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have the factory build numbers? My guy in or part of the woods has asked me for those numbers. He said the are normally stamped on the bottom of the fork leg but I couldn't find them. With that information he can work out what's installed and that gives him a better idea on the fix.
  4. EvilSteve

EvilSteve Not so evil, not so Steve.

Oddometer:
    Well, my 790 ADV R is with @Torque getting worked on thanks to the references from @Camel ADV and @AdvRonski and a couple of other people. Looking forward to not having the weird combination of hash and mushy.
  5. zmotomann

zmotomann No Quarter Supporter

Oddometer:
    After Meeting and talking to AdvRonski .
    Then calling and talking to George @ Suspension 101. This After much reading and researching on the 790 r suspensions boos!!!
    George was a pleasure and very open to talk with. This man know suspensions and thinks outside the box also!!! A builder designer tuner all in one.

Sending him my complete suspension for his magic and some more length!!!!!

2020 riding is looking very very good!!!!!!!!
  6. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    Cory @Camel ADV & George @Torque this ones for you two:

Any chance you can talk about what you have in store for the 790 R suspension. I suspect there may be a few levels coming - anything from simple spring swaps to extended travel, maybe even revalves, and ??

There is still half a yr of 4' drifts ahead here (thats snow for you buggers in the south!) so you may as well fill our ears with promises of buttery smooth washboards, modestly longer travel and something capable of making jumps even Ricky Carmichael would be proud of.

C'mon, spill it! :D
  7. turbofan790

turbofan790 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Based on my interaction with George and his posts here, if I had 4 months ahead of me with no chance of riding, my suspension would be in the mail to him.

... unfortunately, I'm only an hour's drive from him, and there's no off season here, so I am having a hard time going without the bike for long enough for him to work on it!
  8. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    If he or you picked up the suspension bits from a guy that upgraded to the Pro there would always be an extra allowing guys the opportunity to receive pre-modded parts, upon which you resupply George with your OEM stuff, and the cycle begins again for someone. Only works for one at a time or how many OEM's he has to work on at a time I guess. Just spit balling here, looking for you to ride and get your upgrades with only a few hrs to you of downtime.
  9. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    From a turn around time standpoint that would be cool very cool! From an emotional and perhaps practical standpoint I don't think it would work. Tubes get scratched, nicked, and damage from being dumped, etc. If a suspension tuner is swappping main components from one customer to another the tuner would have to outright reject any suspension work on a suspension that showed signs of use because the next guy sending in a suspension might be sending in something straight off the factory floor with zero miles on it and would not want a suspension back that was obviously used.
  10. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    Oh, hi Dad, didn't realize you were even home! :hide:jack

Damn good points, which is why I'm sitting here in my tightie whities, and George is across the continent running a tight operation!
    Camel ADV, windblown101 and CaseyB like this.
  11. Toddv

Toddv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And they are custom valved and sprung to the riders weight and riding style so...
    windblown101 likes this.
  12. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    The condition of the OEM suspensions being received 'in exchange' for another OEM suspension 'tuned' (new springs, preloads, custom bits) for the riders weight and riding style was the gross oversight. Everyone waiting in the line would receive their custom order, but the cosmetic quality would be a lottery essentially. Which is why she no workie...:D

If I ever go into business, WB101 can be my business advisor...
    Oh, and I have the suspension that Birchy sent in on trade .. it looks mint. :hide

Ok, enough about my poor business acumen! I'm ready for the big reveal...:johntm
    Toddv likes this.
  13. turbofan790

turbofan790 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I actually want to stay with the standard S fork and upgrade a shock, but the only set of OE S bits I've seen for sale, the dude was asking like $1800 for :thwak
  14. EvilSteve

EvilSteve Not so evil, not so Steve.

Oddometer:
    I had my suspension tuned by @Torque - George is awesome. I dropped my 790 off over the holiday break and picked it up when I got back from travel.

The suspension feels WAAAAAAAY more controlled than it did before, particularly on rebound. Changes to settings have a more noticeable effect I've taken a couple of clicks out of the front from the original setting as George had and a little out of high-speed compression in the shock (1/4 turn).

The front and rear suspension feel WAY more in sync compared to the stock suspension which, for me, was always both harsh and soft which was kinda odd.

Very happy with the work that George did and would strongly recommend him and his work to anyone wanting to have better suspension on their motorbikes.
    zmotomann and Torque like this.
  15. Torque

Torque Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Regarding travel,
    Travel 240mm standard can be taken up to 252mm for about $450. Then you will have to extend your front brake lines. I already have rear springs in stock that are of proper length for the increase.
    It takes fewer parts to get to that level of travel and is really cost effective. To go 300mm would cost a heck of a lot more.
    So currently we are doing the valving design and the 252mm travel modifications.
    There is still a distinct possibility I can get another 12mm of travel out of the stock components for a 265mm travel but will have to put time into that project during my off season. Summer time.

Just started in a slow step by step 790S improvement that is likely to take a few months. Showing some promise though.
    If any want one of their aftermarket cartridges or shocks brought up to the next level I can build you a one off unit. Don't expect it to be cheap.

790R oem suspension with cutting edge design will out perform a stock KYB SSS, Cone Valve or any other fork or cartridge etc. in nearly every single event.
    The long travel stuff has an advantage but by less a margin than you may think and it had better be set up well.
    Keeping in mind a shim stack shuffle can be done in a couple hours. But I do not know how to take the industry standard shim stack shuffles to this level.
    To make the components really perform it takes me a full day of work to build one bike.
    AdvRonski posted video and opined of his experiences. I would be giddy if someone were to do a heads up comparison. Please. As a matter of fact I am going to make some calls to couple magazines.
    I will do the mods free for an unbiased, detailed hard hitting comparison test that would be posted. I will be the underdog with the lesser travel without issue.
    On another note,
    We won the pro class at last months Tecate Enduro with a cone valve fork. Gutted the fork and installed the same design I currently put in your 790R's.
    That was Noah Kepples last ride with my suspension. WP will not allow me to do his work any longer.
    I am mourning, I miss him and his family. 5 minutes ago he dropped off the cone valve forks. Dang.
    Well gotta get back to work
    Thanks all!
  16. AdvRonski

AdvRonski They call me......Ronski

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear about the Noah deal, George. It's too bad that WP won't try and work with you, for everyone's benefit. Ah, well.
    Now that more 790's are showing up, I've been looking forward to doing some side-by-side comparisons myself, but the desert here has turned to mud for the time being, so it will have to wait. Glad to hear that others are enjoying your work! I'll check in when I can get out there and ride again.
  17. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    @AdvRonski , do you happen to know the length of longer front brake lines we'll need that George references above? I think you went to a single caliper 990 setup but figure you might be able to steer me in the right direction. I'll take care of getting those made in the meantime, unless there is something off the shelf which matches the required length.
  18. Colorado Uli

Colorado Uli Must I?

Oddometer:
    Frozen, muddy, and all sorts of stuff in between here in Delta, too.
    Not that it matters much as my brand new R model is sitting at the dealer in Montrose waiting for a KTM rebuilt shock. Oh, you say? Blew it that fast? Dripping oil on the trailer ride home from a Denver area dealer (couldn’t get one here in the sticks). Not kidding about that, it was actually dripping without ever being sat upon by me.
    I guess I better order a set of springs now to get the journey started.
    Oi!

Let me buy you lunch or dinner sometime in the near future please.
    Uli
    AdvRonski likes this.
  19. AdvRonski

AdvRonski They call me......Ronski

Oddometer:
    TT, it seems to me that just going +12mm would be possible with the stock brake lines, but George might just one of those guys that always has to do things the "Right Way". Being cautious with the braking system is certainly a good idea, though. The stock lines have an integral T-fitting that bolts to the lower triple clamp, so pulling it all off and measuring all of the lines is probably the best way to do that.

Uli, lunch sounds good sometime, and maybe we can drag Mark Z along, when he gets back from AZ with his 790. We can have our own Western Slope 790 Gang. If it will just warm up a bit, I may head over to Moab to ride some slickrock.
    Too bad about the shock, though, I thought they had the turn-around time down to a few days by now.
  20. Colorado Uli

Colorado Uli Must I?

Oddometer:
    That’s right, Mark did mention that he’d gotten one as well. I’m in!

I’ll PM ya to see what works.