790 Adventure R Suspension Mods

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by windblown101, Jul 5, 2019.

1. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    That’s not Mark Z of Z Racing that used to be in, I think Anaheim, is it? Used to shop there about 25 years ago!
  2. Subaruvich

Subaruvich Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There is S forks and shock on fleabay for ~1000€. Zero miles. Shipping from EU though.
  3. AdvRonski

AdvRonski They call me......Ronski

Oddometer:
    Pretty sure this is a different Mark Z. Scary to think there's more than one, though.
    zmotomann and SoilSampleDave like this.
  4. IanC

IanC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm trying to preload my rear spring by 10mm. Would like to get a spacer machined *before* I remove the shock etc.

Does anyone have the dimensions for such a spacer? I don't want to remove shock to measure it as I'm on the road (Morocco) and it's my only means of transport!

And am I in danger of coil bind? Tractive, who supplied the heavier (110 Nm) spring, say not. It was 205mm long rather than OEM 210 mm, which I guess is half the reason I need a spacer.
  5. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    I cant help with dims but can Tractive give you the dimensions since they supplied the spring?
  6. IanC

IanC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately not, only the spring ID.
  7. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    Im sure one of the gurus will be along soon to help :-)
    IanC likes this.
  8. Konflict Motorsports

Konflict Motorsports TUNER Supporter

Oddometer:
    We have been hard at work developing settings for this application and wanted to share a quick iPhone clip of our test session last week in So Cal. This bike is being fielded in the 2020 BITD race series as well a number of others (TBD) but wanted to showcase what these bikes are capable of. This bike is about 80% of where we want it, testing never stops and we are fortunate to have a 790 in the shop for a few months now as well work with partners on projects like this.

Excuse the video quality, not the best but it gives you an idea as to whats possible.

KevinBB, turbofan790 and TrailTrauma like this.
  9. Torque

Torque Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Alex,
    Did you get to the bottom of the 790R shock failures. The why? and the details on the solution that you have been supplied by WP.
    If you look under the piston band on any of them even with 500 miles you will find one side of the piston shiny from wear and one side still black anodize. Seems a design issue? But would like your take on the particulars. Come on Alex give it up, of course without offending the powers that be.
  10. Konflict Motorsports

Konflict Motorsports TUNER Supporter

Oddometer:
    @Tourqe
    Yes we have, as you know there is a fine line that is drawn in the sand with issues such as this on a public forum and being the one to pinpoint the issue and announce publicly. For a number of reasons, (not to offend any of the inmates) we feel it would be best to have the "powers at be" to handle in the manner they deem fit for warranty repairs. If you would like to bypass the warranty service we have narrowed down the issues specifically and offer viable solutions to address said issues as well have some new products coming down the road for this application. Due to relationships within the industry, we have to play fair across the board, somewhat to my dismay in this particular situation.

Feel free to shoot us an email or give us a ring to discuss further.
  11. Torque

Torque Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are you able to divulge the changes to the components in the upgrade without going into reasoning for the changes. Did they move the position of the shaft bushing? I have not seen the upgrade parts.
    If unable to do so how bout the new part numbers for the upgraded parts so I can order some up and do some measuring.
    KevinBB and Teknik Motorsport like this.
  12. Teamrat

Teamrat Adventurer

Oddometer:
  13. Kinkysmurf

Kinkysmurf Adventurer

Oddometer:
  14. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    And by ring, you must mean one of these, right? :imaposer

[​IMG]
  15. EvilSteve

EvilSteve Not so evil, not so Steve.

Oddometer:
  16. turbofan790

turbofan790 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any feedback on the Hyperpro rear shock? Have either George or Konflict worked on them?

Thinking the best direction might be have George work over my S model Apex fork, and do the hyperpro shock.
  17. Teknik Motorsport

Teknik Motorsport Tuner Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    That would be helpful for us down here in Australia too. Thanks for asking George.
  18. Torque

Torque Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just asked another WP rep to look into it. They will be calling me on Monday and I will communicate any info at that time. To be honest I think on Monday they will let me know that they are contacting WP direct to get answers and there will likely be a delay. I have my doubts about an upgrade to be honest. I think it is a design issue not easily remedied. Hope I am wrong but look under the piston band on any of these shocks even with under 500 miles and there is wear on the piston.
  19. zmotomann

zmotomann No Quarter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Helmets off to George at Suspension 101:clap Had him do my 790 R suspension, front and rear. lengthen 12mm, re-valve, springs, and his secret magic inner workings. I love my 790 now .... the harder you ride it the better if feels.... like some other things in life:imaposer:imaposer ( before Georges work during the break in miles it wasn't very fun in the desert, with big g- outs and sharp hits...me no like it at all.... HARSH ) I had him it set up for when my bike is fully loaded for adventure duties, it would be at its best and to me when most needed. Riding it with a small kit on it with 1/2 the weight ill run it still feels fantastic. just open the valving a little and its superb!!!!

Thank You Sir Torque!!!!!:photog
    IMG_2914.jpg IMG_2915.jpg
  20. Torque

Torque Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was wondering about you Zmotoman. I have a tendency to build for speed. I was wondering if I built yours too speedy? But your comment, the faster I go the better it feels, I got a text from someone else saying the same thing today. I'm honored that you are satisfied with my work. I must say though the last few years it is getting harder to address the WP harshness in the shock in the initial hit. Easier fix for aggressive guys like you but still working on it for the cruiser. Have you tried it loaded down for travel as was the intent? And by the way, thank you for your business, I do appreciate it, and it was good to meet you in person.