1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

790 Adventure R Suspension Mods

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by windblown101, Jul 5, 2019.

1. AdvRonski

AdvRonski They call me......Ronski

Oddometer:
    Personally, I think the stock rear shock performance is pretty dismal. Harsh, and seems to refuse to soak up sharp hits, no matter what settings are tried. I would say that George's forks are pretty much the opposite of that, and feel it's very likely the forks did smooth out the hit, while the shock punted you right off the bike. The spring will offer some more compliance, but I wouldn't expect it to do any better on those harsh hits.
    kubcat and EvilSteve like this.
  2. Some_Dude

Some_Dude Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think the problem on the rear is that they designed it to handle two up with loaded panniers... so it rides like a pickup truck with no weight in the back.
  3. kubcat

kubcat Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    So would you suggest I buy a new shock, or can George work his magic on it for significantly less money over next winter?
  4. Torque

Torque Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The fork blew through the rock as that is what my forks are known for. The slower you go the less you realize the forks potential. When you hit something harder and faster than you normally would is when you realize what you have. I have emails and texts from many customers about saving their bacon.
    Reading the many suspension reviews on adv when the bike has not been flogged, is hard for me to read. Mush is great and the bumps go away till you need real damping and that is when it gets real.
    The rear being stock? I would think the shock went too deep in the stroke and that spring energy overpowered the rebound circuit and bing. To address this you add damping to slow the shock from compressing so much and increase the high speed rebound a bit. In addition the variable will help a bit in keeping the shock from going so deep as well.
    Toddv, braaap!, EvilSteve and 2 others like this.
  5. AdvRonski

Oddometer:
    I would go with George, but I am admittedly biased in that respect. He does great work!
    EvilSteve and kubcat like this.
  6. kubcat

Oddometer:
    And there you have it from the man himself. Thanks George.

Regarding the shock - your website list significantly lower prices for shocks than for forks. Does that mean that the shocks can't be extensively modified like the forks can, and therefore you recommend an upgraded shock? Or can you mod the shock to get a similar result as with the forks? If so, does the mod cost something in addition to the $115 price you list on your web page for a "modern shock" service? If not, what shock do you recommend upgrading to?
    Magile likes this.
  7. grace

grace Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    i concur on your feedback about the TT extreme setup. i run them on my bmw r1200gs. i installed the longer travel gsa versions and the stiffest springs. it took the bike to a dramatically different level. i can pummel the gs in ways that i'm pretty sure it wasn't intended -and that's with luggage. when i kept upgrading the springs, the TT engineer in a germany, told me "you know, this is not a rally bike?" i said "yes. and i try to ride it like a rally bike." TT extreme stuff have proved bulletproof too. if i had bought a 790 adv r instead of the rally, i'd probably get the TT extreme, especially if they offered in the longer travel rally setup.
    Velociraptor likes this.
  8. grace

Oddometer:
    @Torque, i know nothing about suspensions and in no way do i question your apparent genius with suspension.
    question:
    how does adding compression damping affect the high speed small bump performance? it seems like just adding damping to the same setup could create harshness somewhere else? i suspect that all suspension setups involve compromises?

also, what do you offer for the wp xplor pro on the ktm 790 rally? springs?
    EvilSteve likes this.
  9. Torque

Torque Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Stock shock service cost is only for service.
    The shock can be as good as most any shock. Pro level Husky & KTM many riders opt for oem shock over Trax. But many are forced by the factory to use the Trax anyhow. They then omit the trax reb system.
    Adding comp to the shock if done in a certain manner will not only help slow the shock down it will also omit a lot of the initial hit harshness and make them last longer.
    My forks are more advanced than the ConeValve forks and will out perform them. My shock set ups are not. I do my variation of mods similar to the more advanced competitors. This is enough to match the pro level shock no problem. I have some ideas but we are a year out at least as the goal will be to out perform, by a margin, the currently available shocks. Not about pretty Jewelry and separating adjusters but about performance.
    Kind of a wash now, depending on how well any shock is set up for the individual, as to which shock is better. There have not been any major advancements in shocks for years. Although there are some variations that look promising for the 790s.
    EvilSteve and TrailTrauma like this.
  10. grace

Oddometer:
    @Torque, thanks a bunch for the response. i don't understand a couple things. you said "we are a year out". a year out for what? backlog for service?

from your response, i don't understand what you can offer for the 790 rally xplor pro setup. sorry, if my questions don't make sense. i'm a total noob on this topic -well, i guess on most topics. :marc
    thanks!
    EvilSteve likes this.
  11. Torque

Torque Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We are going to see about making a shock specific for the 790 models to completely omit side load and cavitation issues. At least a year out and not sure it can be done, yet.
    The pro is simply a cone valve fork. I turn either the Xplor or Cone valve forks into my design. Yes I can make the pro level suspension perform better than new.
    We won the Tecate Hare Scramble pro class with a conevalve fork with these very mods this year.
    Off to work, over & out.
    Magile and EvilSteve like this.
  12. grace

Oddometer:
    cool. look forward to your shock creation. i'll start saving up.

it sounds like you have springs for the xplor pro setup for the 790 rally? i want to stiffer springs -front and rear.
  13. Nelso

Nelso All the gear-no idea

Oddometer:
    My SR hybrid journey begins... unused R suspension arrived today. Order front brake lines and side stand and away we go
    92999E73-F5B3-4BAF-94E4-AD3C4CE9D2EA.jpeg
  14. kubcat

Oddometer:
    And Tires, or...:muutt
  15. Calif-790R

Calif-790R Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm about to start on the same journey. Since I could not change my screen name I thought it was easier to spend $3K to convert my S to an R. lol
    Can I ask how much you are paying for a set of R Suspension? Prices seem to be all over the board from different sources. Thanks in advance.
    MistressOfMayhem likes this.
  16. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    You can have my R suspension and brake lines for $3K. Because if I’m spending the money on Pro suspension I’m going to make it 270mm. I guess my bike can sit on a stand for a while!
    michaeldorian likes this.
  17. Nelso

Oddometer:
    Haha. Yes, Motoz Tractionator GPS
  18. Nelso

Oddometer:
    if it’s not apparent, I’m in Australia. I paid AUD$3,500 for R suspension. The owner had Xplor Pro installed before he picked it up so the stock R stuff went straight into the box
  19. BDG

BDG Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’m very curious about the rear sag figure. General accepted wisdom seems to be that rider sag should be 30% of the total 240mm movement which would be 72mm but I’m reading the 790 should have 85 to 90 mm. I’m not doubting your wisdom as after reading this far in the thread you certainly know your stuff but I’m just trying to understand the reason for the greater sag please. Or maybe I’m just dumb and am missing something. Thanks in advance.
  20. AdvRonski

Oddometer:
    Typically, race sag is around 30-35%, which would be 72-84mm. This is a baseline starting point, so I always recommend testing different settings under the conditions you are riding in. The same goes for the compression/rebound adjustments. If you have never tried the far ends of the adjusters range, you don't really know what your suspension is capable of. As far as going up to 90mm of sag, this is certainly on the far end of things, but does offer a lower seat height and better stability in soft terrain.
    BDG likes this.