790 Adventure R Suspension Mods

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe (790/890)' started by windblown101, Jul 5, 2019.

1. Brilloman

Brilloman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got to ride on my Xplore Pro this weekend. All I can say is that it’s absolutely perfect right out of the box on both rocky mountain trails and soft rooted single track. Not even a clicker adjustment was needed. Supple with no harsh bottoming. IMO worth every penny.
  2. nibby

nibby Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @Brilloman what differences from the standard R Xplor suspension are you noticing?? and are you running the full 270mm??
  3. Brilloman

Brilloman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I really didn’t have much time off road on the standard Xplor so I can’t give a lot of specific feedback but I would say that in general the dampening is more precise. Xplor Pro is very supple over the small stuff and still has excellent bottoming resistance.

I did not have them set up for the 270mm travel because I am short legged and did not want to make the bike taller.
  4. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think I saw a photo of one guys setup, and his fork tubes were well through the clamps. Not sure if thats even wise. Maybe it's an option. Along with some preload on the rear.
  5. Konflict Motorsports

Konflict Motorsports TUNER Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not to hijack this thread. We have been seeing a large number of failures on the OEM XPLOR suspension, specifically the rear shocks. Can anyone here shed some light on the failures they have seen so far if any? We currently have 9 units in house with a multitude of failures in different configurations, seal failures, shock body failures, IFP piston failures. We have spent a considerable amount of time with this application in a wide range of terrains and only seen a limited run of issues, nothing like we are seeing come in with Fedex and UPS.

I saw a few pages back @Camel ADV looking for spring specs, stock springs in the 790 R are 44/460 6,7 n/mm, shock spring is 59/210 95 n/mm.
    Camel ADV, Dusty, TrailTrauma and 2 others like this.
  6. BAGSTR

BAGSTR BAGSTR

Oddometer:
    You gents will get good results working with "Torque". The crowd of off-roaders here in San Diego are all in with George. Fair and Competent.
    He doesn't just do one build, he builds to your style and needs.
    Hey George, talkin' bout you buddy.

Bagstr
    Vargubau, CaseyB, AdvRonski and 2 others like this.
  7. Torque

Torque Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well I must give props to AdvRonski and thank him.
    R&D is always done in house many times with pro riders and we can spend 10k to dial in a bike completely. Ron is phase 1. Kepple dial in will be phase 2. Then dial in different abilities and weights to fine tune is the final touch.
    In this case I had no 790R and Ronski was trying so hard and posting it up, I figured, what the hell. I would buy one, now that I know they are viable but they are not available.
    Plus I just wanted to help him out because he was putting in the effort. Now I keep getting emails from Ron cause he has been going into his shock and making changes on a whim. I think he has gone in 4 or 5 times just to experiment, and we are learning something each time he does. His feedback has been quite good and he does detailed work. Variable rate springs are on order in various rates.
    We are now going after the forks with a custom valving design and standard 240mm of travel for now. I believe we will make the 240 out perform many of the longer travel set ups. Initially we will keep oem springs as he is about 170lbs and see what we can do just with valving.
    Keep in mind a majority of the improvement many realize is springs, particularly plushness. The valving comes into play when you start putting the hammer down and for example catch a sharp edge at speed. When it is plush in a high speed event and saves your bacon, that entails valving. During this type of high speed event when dialed you will then realize more confidence, safety, and comfort. It comes down to "trust". Upon gaining the trust that your motorcycle is totally predictable particularly in trying situations, that is when you smile through the challenge.
    Upon completion when we have the bike working better than it should, then for the DIY guys maybe AdvRonski and I can come to an agreement as to what to share via pm's to help you out.
    To be honest I think Ronski has tuner potential big time. He is sharp!
    macaw1us, Nowwhat, Fabricator and 4 others like this.
  8. Camel ADV

Camel ADV Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That’s great news Torque. Anxiously awaiting your kit.
  9. TrailTrauma

Oddometer:
    You're 2 great assets for us all for sure. I feel like we're a bunch of children, pressing our ears to the door of this thread intermittently, trying to catch whispers of what we may be getting for christmas. :D
  10. AdvRonski

AdvRonski They call me......Ronski

Oddometer:
    Wow, George, I don't know quite what to say, except thank you for the kind words. I've always built my own race bikes, and tried my best to get the suspension how I wanted it to feel. There's an extra sense of satisfaction in a victory when you've done it all yourself, and no one else to blame when it all goes sideways. There is a lot of juice for me in the process of improving the performance, reliability, and rideability of a bike, so the experimentation is great fun for me.

“All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better.” — Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks again for including me in this project, I'm having a ball!
    Subaruvich, macaw1us, 06Z and 5 others like this.
  11. AdvRonski

AdvRonski They call me......Ronski

Oddometer:
    I am pleased to report that @Torque's fork mods are simply stunning. The nuts and bolts of the mods are Top Secret, but the results are outstanding. They are plush over small, choppy trail obstacles, but soak up big whoops and washouts with zero drama. I took a few videos today, to try and show the capabilities of his suspension. These same sections with the stock 790R suspension took a lot more time and effort, and you had to pay very close attention to the size of the obstacles. The updated suspension allows you to just ride the bike, without worrying too much about how deep the holes are. As you may know, videos tend to make terrain look flatter than it really is, so keep that in mind. The Thompson trail has a lot of whoops and washouts, which can be quite steep and deep, while Trail 2 has gnarly, rocky sections, it also has some deep sand whoops, and is quite a workout, even on a "normal" dirt bike. The trail speed of the 790R is surprising close to what I can do on my 350 XCF-W, at least it's surprising to me.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

12. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    Well dammit @Torque, how do the rest of us exchange money for these mods!?
    CaseyB likes this.
  13. turbofan790

turbofan790 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @Torque , do you have experience working with forks of the design of the base S open cartridge design? Is that design worth revalving or not without starting with a closed cartridge conversion?
    justinope likes this.
  14. TrailTrauma

Oddometer:
    Video of Chris Birch's first decent ride with the XPLOR PRO suspension. Unreal speed; Next level. And if his cam doesn't have stabilization I'm even more amazed.

Chris's take away: My first decent ride on the WP Xplore Pro suspension for the KTM 790 Adventure R. It's very confidence inspiring, the bikes tracks even straighter than stock, seems plusher on the small rocks and bumps whilst still taking the big hits. I'm looking forward to getting it more dialled in then going out to the long travel set up, more is more right?

15. Torque

Torque Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Long version yet again:
    That is one of the best forks ever when the valving is re-designed. Not for motocross but for most everything else. They are really good in moto, but hard core whoops, they will cavitate.
    The open fork is what I turned the Xplor fork on Rons 790R into. Same for on my 990 and that is also what I do on the 1090.
    We raced EnduroCross with this fork a couple years ago and the forks out performed the factory teams. The top two guys in the field came up to congratulate our rider for a good ride and said, your running those? They mentioned bottoming too hard with those. But these old forks were bottoming softer than their Aer or the Cone Valve forks. I have video on my site. Plus we have ridden both of their bikes. Terrible video but proves the point, look at his wrists when he hits. Our rider Noah Kepple out jumped the field all year by slamming into the logs with a vengeance (he's the man) and clearing full sections. I am a one man show and hand make the suspension for each rider. Exactly as I do for the pro's. It's just that most riders don't know how good it can get, but then how do I get that out there.
    Pretty easy to say how good you are, but it means nothing. Or the pet peeve, a guy gets spring improvement and its plush and the tuner is a master. Please! Take a real hit and get back to us. Oops not humble.
    I am very confident but, as Cooper Web says, thanks to the man up above, hard work, a great teacher in my past. 7 day weeks, and passion.
    Here is another terrible video, but you can see Noah #636 his wrists do not move. Compared to Geoff's Aaron's as he has to bend his wrists to take a hit.

I would like nothing more than to have a hands down comparison between my set up with stock components against a "tuned" ConeValve / Trax. I will put my $ where my mouth is and accept the results gracefully.
    I have designed the same for several other forks that we have run at pro level. WP open bath, KYB sss, Showa 47mm, even nailed some Marzocchi / Sachs / Reiger on the GasGas and a few others.
    It takes a re-design is all, and about 10 hours of work. But I can even take it further with ported pistons etc. But just started doing that for my riders recently as how much time is feasible. I do have customers to take care of.
    Helping AdvRonski may have been one of the best moves I have made. Not sure if he has ever mentioned he is a master mechanic, and took some names in A level. I had no idea? Thank you Ron!!!
    Dusty, Allucaneat, AdvRonski and 4 others like this.
  16. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    Alright, ragnabbit, I am calling dibs on next in line to have my suspension done! Stop holding out!
  17. Torque

Torque Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Am I allowed to post my business info? I will pm you. I do not want to over step my bounds.
    SoilSampleDave likes this.
  18. turbofan790

turbofan790 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Very surprising information. Sent you an email. I think most of us, myself included, aren't really looking to his a supercross whoop section, just gain a bit more bottoming resistance and, if possible, a bit of plushness.
  19. chippertheripper

chippertheripper motorcycle junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    I mean, I’ll want the fast woods setup on my stuff once I settle in on it, but I still have some clicking to do on my end to really expose any deficiencies.
    Time is what’s not on my side lately, poor thing is relegated to pretty much commuter duty.
  20. Torque

Torque Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My bad. Sorry guys misunderstood the question. The 43mm fork can be improved with stock cartridges as I do on the 1090R when requested. But the flex is an issue and I cant install the larger cartridge due to size limitations. So I cant take those to the level of the 48mm forks. The pace Ronski was riding would be pushing the 43mm pretty darned hard. The 48mm fork is on anything from the 2005 950S to the newer models up to 2013 or so and the Xplor on the new bikes of course. Please accept my apology!