1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

790 Adventure R Suspension Mods

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by windblown101, Jul 5, 2019.

1. BDG

BDG Long timer

Oddometer:
    Many thanks for the advice, I only picked up the bike a week ago so only done 750 miles
  2. nibby

nibby Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @BDG - not sure whereabouts you are located in the UK but if North West then I'd recommend talking to Mark at RSS Chorley - he sorted my front with lighter springs and better oil etc, just waiting for WP to get some lighter springs in stock for the rear.
    BDG likes this.
  3. BDG

BDG Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’ll bear that in mind thanks Nibby as I’m in the North West myself, though I’ll wait till I’ve done enough miles and got used to it.
    nibby likes this.
  4. FastDave

FastDave Vulnerant omnia, ultima necat

Oddometer:
    For anyone in the NM area looking to get your suspension re-sprung or re-valved, I got my front and rear shocks worked on by David Hall in Albuquerque, NM (https://www.facebook.com/Halleffectsuspension/). He’s super knowledgeable, very engaged, and easy to work with.

I have very limited experience with suspension, other than from mountain biking, but I felt like my bike was very stiff and unbalanced. Climbing technical terrain and rock ledges felt like I was riding a bucking bronco and having any control was a task. Now the bike front and rear is substantially more compliant, I feel planted on the bike and am able to keep a lot more neutral body positions when climbing or descending. I can anticipate how my front and rear will react more easily now.

As an aside, he told me that the front fork spring was actually not the one that was listed on parts list, it was a higher spring rate than was supposed to come from the factory. Also, he found metal shavings in the front from the springs rubbing, luckily he changed everything out before it did any real damage.

I had my rear rebuilt last year from a failure while riding the NM BDR, and he found that several of the shims had been flexed to the point of having to be replaced, he said that the revalving should address this issue.

Again, super happy with his work and, for me, worth getting done.
  5. EvilSteve

EvilSteve Not so evil, not so Steve.

Oddometer:
    This is what @Torque found in mine as well - the fork spring was too big for the fork.
    Toddv likes this.
  6. 06Z

06Z Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What was done to your fork and shock?
    Stock travel or did he stretch those legs?
  7. kubcat

kubcat Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    @[Art] Would this be a good candidate for the known issues list?
  8. [Art]

[Art] Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It would be useful to quantify how many bikes are affected. If I put something int he FAQ without numbers, people become afraid their bike is affected, or even renounce buying the bike!

It is way overdue for a FAQ update, there's a lot of content to update, and as I was gone riding all of last week nothing got done :)
    Velociraptor likes this.
  9. kubcat

Oddometer:
    I agree about quantities, although I'm not sure how to gather that data. We know of 2 documented cases... There are probably folks riding with sticky forks caused by the wrong spring who don't even know that isn't "how they should feel", so they just assume thats normal. It is very disconcerting though. Does anyone know if WP has had a history of defective production?
  10. EvilSteve

Oddometer:
    All of the things (springs, valving, shims, extra flow from cartridge) but for lengthening travel. :-)
    06Z likes this.
  11. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    I think he's a year or two out for the lengthened travel package he'd like to produce eventually. How much travel did you end up with Daniel?
  12. EvilSteve

Oddometer:
    Just stock travel for now, I think I'd stuggle with an even taller bike. :-)
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  13. m0lt3n

m0lt3n Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great discussion this. Following.

Also from South Africa and also thought about getting an S and changing out the suspensions to save money. For optimal results it looks like I should get an R suspension in USA, have it worked and then shipped over. But currently forcing myself to wait and look everything over before pulling the trigger on an S or an R.

Seems like I should add the Touratech option also for consideration
  14. kubcat

Oddometer:
    Isn't Touratech just rebranded HyperPro?
  15. new2adv

new2adv Converting gas into wheelies since 1974

Oddometer:
    I don't think you'd save money with the 790 S. By the time you add back the rally mode and fix the suspension, you're well past the price of the R model. I bought an S only because the R was too tall for me, but even then it's debatable whether it would have been cheaper to lower an R vs fixing the crappy suspension on the S.

Edit: my comments above are based on KTM pricing here in Canada, where the price difference is only about $1,100 Cdn between the S and R models.
  16. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    Your countrymen at Racestar Graffix did a great job for me on my 790 graphics. Is there really no one locally you would trust to do the suspension work there? While there are several great shops here that do great things with these Xplor forks (like George/Suspension 101), if you are trying to work out a long distance deal, Konflict Suspension might be the way to go. They have complete sets of R suspension in stock and ready to ship. When people buy WP Pro from them, Alex let his customers leave their R suspension there and he will sell it for them as a pass through with no markup as a service for buying the Pro. So, no waiting or concerns about sending an individual the money. And of course their suspension work is top notch. But I imagine most people here on advrider are trustworthy (except where bacon is concerned). I’m actually seriously toying with the idea of getting the Pro suspension myself, so if you want to work a deal with any suspension shop, PM me if you do and maybe we can work a deal on my suspension. Don’t forget, you will need longer brake lines. I would be going 270mm if I do the Pro, so I could throw in my brake lines to sweeten the deal.
  17. Kerschbaumer

Kerschbaumer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a 2020 690 Enduro and have been wondering to lengthen the travel the stock Xplor 250mm to 275 or 300mm. Can anyone advise how simple or complicated/expensive this would be to do? I am 6'2" so wouldnt mind a bit more height and ground clearance. I honestly am not a racer but a lifelong of mountain biking has taught me 'more is more' when it comes to suspension travel.

I have tried to read through the thread but honestly most of it is above my brain. I have done several fork services on my motos in the past so not afraid to go in there - but never to the shock.

My hope is it would could be not too complicated, at least with the fork and hoping the fork tubes and stanchions might be the same as the longer travel versions that come on other motos. On my mountain bike I was able to lengthen the forks by swapping out a $60 air shaft.

I have googled around trying to find answers to this and so far no luck - also tried digging up parts fiches of WP suspension to see if part numbers are the same through different lengths of travel suspensions.

Thanks in advance.
  18. MeVoGTC

MeVoGTC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think this depends on if you plan on leaving the stock R suspension alone. Which for me wasn’t a choice anyway, since the spring weights are not for people my size....:dukegirl
  19. new2adv

new2adv Converting gas into wheelies since 1974

Oddometer:
    True, it's not a perfect comparision... some people will want the best of the best, and spend $7K on the pro suspension kit. I think that for many people, the stock "R" suspension with $250 worth of springs would be fine - it would be for me anyway, if my legs were long enough...

Since I bought the "S", I now have to consider buying something like a Nitron rear shock and an Adreani fork cartridge kit, which would set me back about US$1,200... way more than the cost difference between the R and the S, even without considering the Rally mode.
  20. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think its re-branded Tractive?
    Velociraptor likes this.