1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

790 Adventure R Suspension Mods

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by windblown101, Jul 5, 2019.

1. SirWreckaLot

SirWreckaLot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not sure if this has already been covered but these guys claim they are able to extend stock R’s by 30mm like the rally models XPLOR Pro. Talked to him and it still IS NOT as good as the Pro because the Pro is cone valve forks, but it is still an improvement due to better valving and increased travel. May be a good ‘poor mans’ compromise to having a rally. He quoted me $1600 For front and rear if I shipped it to him. I am an absolute amateur in the suspension department so take it easy on me if I am wrong. He definitely claimed to extend regular wp xplor by 30mm plus a total revalve.

98CEA6BE-F096-4DF8-BD85-D262FB2BCD62.jpeg E2AD3246-4338-4BE2-A2F0-B81C06B2CA5E.jpeg
  2. Subaruvich

Subaruvich Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So where in EU to find a suspension tuning company as competent as Konflict Motosports is in US?
    I’m really not happy with xplor pro to be honest. Yes it has incredible bottoming resistance, but it’s harsh and no plush at all. Even though I have swapped for softer springs.
  3. offworlder

offworlder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    While XPLOR PRO at least has the proper bits in it (unlike XPLOR) - it still needs serious tuning.
    BHoward likes this.
  4. Konflict Motorsports

Konflict Motorsports TUNER Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you for the kind words! We can help @Subaruvich, shoot us an email to discuss. You are one of many, we have tuned over 30 Rally suspension setups and roughly about the same with clients upgrading from the standard XPLOR setup to XPLOR Pro's. We have solutions to help our overseas clients.
  5. offroadjunky

offroadjunky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I still don't get all the complaints over the fork and very little on the shock.I feel the shock is the horrible part of this suspension, no amount of adjustment can get the harshness out for me.I have never had a bike that was this rough in the rear I will soon be looking to have something done with this POS.
  6. kubcat

kubcat Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have you found any weeping or leaking oil around the shock shaft? If so, then I urge you to get it off the bike and into the hands of one of the authorized WP centers. You will find a world of difference in the shock...
  7. Norduro

Norduro Thumping

Oddometer:
    I wonder if the harshness is connected to the direct linkage on the rear suspension (no „dog bone“ linkage)? :hmmmmm Me too I have never before ridden a bike this harsh, but I am talking about the standard version with the WP Apex suspension, not the R.

At least it is not leaking. :hide
  8. kubcat

Oddometer:
    its the shim stack in the stock config...at least for the 2019 and early 2020's
  9. Subaruvich

Subaruvich Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you, Alex. Email sent.
  10. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have no clue if they can do as claimed but I'd be extremely surprised if they are using the base valve in that Dal Soggio XP-One kit in the photo.
    SirWreckaLot likes this.
  11. offroadjunky

Oddometer:
    I haven't seen any leaks just yet, it just feels like the high speed compression isn't working at all.
  12. kubcat

Oddometer:
    I suggest you contact a WP suspension authorized service center and discuss this matter with them.
  13. offroadjunky

Oddometer:
    That is my plan for sure.
  14. SirWreckaLot

SirWreckaLot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I guess they're using the Race Tech Gold Valve... Honestly don't know anything about suspension, other than more travel is usually good and that tuning it is important.

Other than that, “Super Plush” in San Francisco has always serviced my shocks and spoiled me. Looks like it’s 30mm taller. Poor mans 790 Rally? :hide

1ADC2096-FE15-4108-8996-46F24FA85224.jpeg
    EvilSteve likes this.
  15. scaryfast

scaryfast Strugglin' to be Average!

Oddometer:
    Hello, it looks like my modification made the big time!! I own Full Factory Offroad and just completed the revalve and extension on the bike pictured above. I have tested it and am impressed with the outcome, but I'm biased i guess. I just delivered the bike back to the customer yesterday, he will be out on it soon and I can't wait for his feedback. He was extremely unhappy with the fork performance in stock form, he had no major gripes about the shock as the forks stole the show on lack of performance. I'm not on this site a ton but if you have any questions feel free to reach out at fullfactoryoffroad@gmail.com or check out the site at www.fullfactoryoffroad.com. I will try and check in here as well.

I am using the Dal Soggio XP-One kit in the forks, the forks are surprisingly similar to the Xplor48 found on the smaller offroad KTM's.
    redneckK20 and SirWreckaLot like this.
  16. AdvRonski

AdvRonski They call me......Ronski

Oddometer:
    How did you do the shock stretch? I ended up with a longer shock shaft from Australia.
  17. scaryfast

Oddometer:

I went with a longer shock shaft as well.
  18. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Are you using the entire Dal Soggio kit? If so I'd love to know what fork legs you used to incorporate the base valves. I went with a K-tech kit for the mid-valves and base valve pistons but failed to figure out a compatible fork leg to make use of the base valves themselves.

Thanks.
  19. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    The 790 has a much "racier" stance with that bit of extra travel. Looking at the picture, at first I was thinking a taller fork guard might be in order. There's just a little room around the side top where a rock might be able to hit. The I thought about how much the fork will compress with a rider and then it is a no-issue. I guess if you were airborne and a rock came just right it could hit, but even I'm not that paranoid.
    SirWreckaLot likes this.
  20. scaryfast

Oddometer:
    The entire kit was used, different fork legs were not used.