790 Adventure R Suspension Mods

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by windblown101, Jul 5, 2019.

1. scaryfast

scaryfast Strugglin' to be Average!

Oddometer:
    I supplied the customer with the Rally fork guards.... slightly taller then the Standard R. They hadn’t arrived yet for the picture.
  2. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the response. Tip of the hat to you for sure in that case. Getting externally adjustable base valves into the OEM forks must have take take some serious machining! I'm not a machinist but when I did mine I thought I had looked it over pretty carefully and I didnt think it would be possible.
  3. scaryfast

Oddometer:
    The Dal Soggio XP One kit does not use adjustable base valves. The XP one retains the stock split fork design with the rebound and compression adjusters on the top.

The Dal Soggio Ray kit for the 4CS forks swaps this system out to a standard fork design with adjustable base valves.
  4. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ah, that explains it. The photos on the previous page show the XP1 kit for the dirt bike xplor forks.
  5. scaryfast

Oddometer:
    Correct, no adjustable base valves on those models stock either but can be added. The Adv R uses the threaded base that goes into the cartridge.
  6. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    A-Ha!
  7. CaseyB

CaseyB Adventually Supporter

Oddometer:
    Kickstand - what have people done to accommodate taller suspension?

rally kickstand is $200

would one of those feet/foot/pad things, that attach to the bottom of the kickstand be enough?

My bike already had a nice lean to it, can’t imagine what it will be like with the xplor pro.
  8. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    Have your buddy hold the bike up where it provides the angle you want, and then measure how much of an extension you need. Cut, extend, weld. Rottweiler could give you the length of the extension I'd think. I recall he may have extended their 790, and possibly some client bikes as well. @Nowwhat?
    CaseyB likes this.
  9. AdvRonski

AdvRonski They call me......Ronski

Oddometer:
    I added 1.5 inches to the R stand when I went to 270mm suspension.
    BHoward and CaseyB like this.
  10. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yup kickstand needs to be stretched 20191004_163156_1570232776158.jpeg
  11. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:

If you guys get me some measurements, I can make up some extension bits while I'm recovering.
  12. CaseyB

CaseyB Adventually Supporter

Oddometer:
    Quad liked

Extension it is

Until that actually happens, small block of wood in my tank bag will be the immediate route :lol3
  13. offworlder

offworlder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are you saying you can source fork lugs that will screw onto the existing XPLOR stock fork tube threads, that will allow for (proper) base valves to be exposed, and hence adjusted?

While they clearly exist (read: Rally), I've been unable to source such lugs.
  14. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    The rally lugs are billet and I was told they are pushing $1K as a spare part!
  15. scaryfast

Oddometer:
    No, I am using the stock lugs, there are no adjustable base valves on the XP one modification. Adjustment for rebound and compression remain on the top of the fork. It replaces the base valves and adds a mid valve to the compression side. After quite a bit of testing it is a huge difference over the stock set-up. I have a Rally in the ship now I am doing springs on for a client and will be riding that one soon for comparison.

Thanks,
  16. offworlder

Oddometer:
    I'm sure its a huge difference, as the stock WP XPLOR forks are utter garbage :topes. Looking forward to hearing more, but its unlikely any such mod will match the performance/adjustability of proper independent suspension (as the Rally has).

I've ridden the Rally, and while stiff and tall, its a whole other world re performance; feels like a completely different bike, which is solely attributable to the suspension..
    BHoward likes this.
  17. scaryfast

Oddometer:
    The Pro Components are amazing for sure, but if you can get something that works much better then stock for a fraction of the cost of the Pro Components that may be a good option for 95% of the guys looking.

Thanks,
    Pipeman, BHoward, 06Z and 2 others like this.
  18. offworlder

Oddometer:
    Completely agree. I was fortunate enough to have one of our local rocket scientists @Torque completely rebuild my stock suspension, and the bike has been transformed.

I'm no Toby Price, and dont need the performance of the XPLOR PRO kit. Just looking for something actually usable (vs. the stock XPLOR), that was at least on par with say, my 10 year old 990's suspension...
    EvilSteve likes this.
  19. offroadjunky

offroadjunky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The forks are far from garbage as stated but the suspension does need tweaking to make it more enjoyable.I just had my shock revalved and it is for sure a huge improvement,I will be doing the forks this winter since they are decent with the preload cranked up.
    CaseyB likes this.
  20. scaryfast

Oddometer:
    Just a quick report from the customer I did the fork and shock re-valve for, this was stock height, not the extended version. Although he is over the moon with with it, he has let two others ride it and they are in line to get it done as well.

"Hey Bryan,

I finally got to ride the 790. 40 plus miles of forest service and single track, plus another 45 pavement. Works awesome at over 100 mph on dirt and pavement. Was expecting some wobble but it was solid. The forks work amazing. I chose rocky and mud hole lines all day and it ate it up. I did some good airs on big water boards and it was plush, except the one I over shot and landed on the steeper uphill side. The shock is definitely better. I wasn't losing traction like before when hammering the gas. I purposely rode 5 plus miles of water board, some up a steep grade and was able to stay on the gas with just a little skipping and traction loss.

I’m totally happy with the whole job you did and the performance of the suspension. Thank you so much."
    offworlder and Steve-AU like this.