790 Adventure R Suspension Mods

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by windblown101, Jul 5, 2019.

1. Torque

Torque Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    45 to 50lbs shipped per UPS history. Regarding the stretch I can only get about 12mm more travel out of the stock shock. Just not enough demand for a custom build, shaft etc.
  2. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Will let you know as my plan develops :)
    Appreciate your skills!
  3. scaryfast

scaryfast Strugglin' to be Average!

Oddometer:
    The stock shock spring although not progressive has some progression in it. You have to put quite a bit of pre-load on it to get the proper sag height, this could be one reason you feel the harshness. You can go to a stiffer spring, use less pre-load force to get the same sag numbers and in turn be about 15-20% softer in the initial part of the stroke which would help with some of the harshness you are feeling.

I am doing another extension next week and will be going up from the stock 9.5 spring to a 10.7 for a 180 pound rider and see how it feels.
  4. Graniteone

Graniteone 3,2,1...Beer me! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I installed the Hyperpro progressive springs kit which lowers the bike 30mm when under load, same as Touratech. I did this just prior to leaving on a 2100 mile NMBDR ride as I didn’t have time to send my suspension off to get tuned. I rode all of the so called expert sections with camping gear on board. I had to crank up the preload but the suspension worked pretty darn good for me. We rode aggressively on our trip off road and the paved sections in the middle of nowhere we cranked it up and the bike was really stable. It was not perfect by any means but a pretty cheap decent alternative to spending big bucks on a custom tune. That said, I ll be sending my suspension away this winter to get it really dialed in. A side note, I did have to shorten my kick stand with this set up. My buddy was able to help and I now have an adjustable side stand.
  5. AdvRonski

AdvRonski They call me......Ronski

Oddometer:
    Bryan, where are you sourcing the longer shock shaft? Curious to see if someone here does that, as I only could find one in Australia.
    06Z and EvilSteve like this.
  6. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    Don’t you have shaft stretchers around there? They are usually on the shelf next to the wire stretchers. So handy when you cut a wire a little too short.
    comradecasey likes this.
  7. tbarstow

tbarstow Two-wheelin' Fool Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    These are in the same section as the hole moving tools.
    TrailTrauma and SoilSampleDave like this.
  8. Torque

Torque Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry AdvRonski I will measure some of these other wp shock shafts for you one of these days.
    EvilSteve likes this.
  9. AdvRonski

AdvRonski They call me......Ronski

Oddometer:
    No sweat, George. I'm just curious about other sources for such things.
  10. kubcat

kubcat Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    What year is your 790? The early shocks have a known issue with the shim stack that causes cavitation and results in many negative attributes, including harshness. If the shim stack was performing acceptably, then I beieve George's advice to focus on the spring would be the right move. However, for the early models, until you get that shim stack sorted out, the spring rate will do nothing to address the internal cavitation. My suggestion, which worked for me, is to speak with a WP service center about this issue. There is a chance they will get the stack sorted for little/no money on your part. Once done, if the shock still isn't riding up to your expectations, then follow up with mods.
  11. WI-790R

WI-790R Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My 790R is a 2020, VIN ending 7793XX. Is there a known VIN cutoff number for the improper shim stack? I’m sure to optimize suspension performance it makes sense to pick the best-fit spring for a given rider and terrain. But the way this rear feels when encountering a square edged hole, although I’m no suspension expert, I believe the bulk of the problem has to be in the damping. I’d like to think that Hyperpro (sold through touratech in this case) wouldn’t be grossly off-base with their spring rate, for the average payload. I’d also tend to give them (or any shop for that matter) enough credit not to sell springs that would rattle around at full extension. But I suppose things like that do happen sometimes.

I mean the bike is certainly rideable, but relative to other bikes I’ve ridden it could surely be improved. Granted, this is the only adventure bike I’ve ridden.

From the WP-Suspension site, I see the closest authorized service center is:

POWERBAND RACING INC

12055 250th St

MILACA, MN 56353

In this instance is it better to contact them directly, rather than my KTM dealer?

Does KTM/WP publish the makeup of the correct shim stack? I sort of get the sense that those details are treated as a trade secret amongst suspension industry.

Thank you for the heads-up on early shim stack issue.
  12. WI-790R

WI-790R Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear yours is working reasonably well with the Hyperpro -30mm kit. Thanks for offering that. This further convinces me I’ve got a shim stack issue. I too shortened my kick stand. I took 1/2” out of it. I used the bike for a while w/o shortening it, but found myself looking for slightly downward sloped parking spaces, so finally shortened it. Much better now.
  13. Graniteone

Oddometer:
    Here is how my kickstand looks now and it is adjustable. I should have mentioned I also went to the stock seat VS the low seat for more comfort. My bike came with both. F267CC03-7196-4657-9964-0A59096BBB67.jpeg 1DFAA75E-BAFE-46AD-9BCB-E500B8C2F9C6.jpeg
    TrailTrauma, braaap!, CaseyB and 2 others like this.
  14. WI-790R

WI-790R Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice work! I’ve been kicking around the orange front fender idea. Is it available fender only, or just the kit with fork protectors?
  15. Graniteone

Oddometer:
    Fender came with the bike, I bought it used with some mods and 2000 miles on the clock a couple of months ago. Bike now has 7,500ish. Orange fender was on it. I have the black fender as well.
  16. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    @AdvRonski care to share the Aussie source?..
    Cheers :thumb
    06Z likes this.
  17. bikemoto

bikemoto Tyre critic

Oddometer:
    Could you upload a pic of the part number, pls? Should be on the underside at the triple clamp area.

I'm considering trying the orange but I'd prefer not to buy the kit which is likely 2-3 times the price of the fender alone.

Thanks in advance!
  18. Graniteone

Oddometer:
    I am wrenching on my 350 EXC in the garage today and will try and take it off to grab a pic.
  19. Graniteone

Oddometer:
    Here you go. A682751B-6690-42A2-BD66-E4981C237BF8.jpeg
    bikemoto likes this.
  20. chippertheripper

chippertheripper motorcycle junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    I made the mistake of riding a 950SE over the weekend with massaged legs...
    Now I see my wallet getting lighter. I need the 790 to ride like that. Who’s got the hottest setup for a 185lb retired racer?
    Whodatschrome and Magile like this.