790 Adventure R

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by Cocker66, Oct 12, 2018.

1. ls6777

ls6777 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Kraków people aren't interested in ADV bikes?
  2. GordonFreeman

GordonFreeman Gamer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    For me, it varies with the vehicle. I bought a new Ford Raptor without a test drive - drove to another state to get even close to a fair deal. It’s top or top two cagers I’ve has the pleasure to drive.

I loved my 990 ADV and test rode every later model, starting with the 1190s and the big white 1290 SA. These rides were at dealer demo days, so short, tame and on road. In many ways they were better bikes than the 990 but not compellingly so. Pretty much as soon as the 1290 SAR came out, I was smitten. I waited a while and finally got the same shortish test ride but knew right away the SAR was THE ONE. I made a good year end deal.

The 790 could be ANOTHER ONE, and many folks think so. I have my eye on the new 690 thumper with most of the electronic goodies. I’m hoping folks will be so focused on the 790 (great bike, as far as I can tell), that some lonely 690s will need a new home in December.
    AllSeasonRider likes this.
  3. Roadhawg011

Roadhawg011 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After wrestling with my 1290 in loose rocks this weekend, Im seriously considering the 790.

Anyone ridden the 790 for a few hours on the highway yet? Like 140-160km/h?
  4. BronNowo

BronNowo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They are but this one didn't spark so much interest as e.g. Africa Twin or 1090R,
    let's face is it's not really a good looking bike to say the least :)
    Kikemon likes this.
  5. AllSeasonRider

AllSeasonRider Wandering, maybe a little lost...

Oddometer:
    I'll be interested to compare the 790 to my 1090. It's not that much lighter, so if it feels more manageable off-road I think it will come down to geometry (including the seating position/height) and weight distribution. On paper, it doesn't make a strong enough case for me to trade.
  6. Roadhawg011

Oddometer:
    I feel the same about the 1290 TBH. But I still would like to test one and see.

I know a guy with a 1090 and 701, test rode a 790 and sold both the old bikes for it.
    jimmycapp and AllSeasonRider like this.
  7. AZ Desert Dog

AZ Desert Dog To Ornery To Quit

Oddometer:
    If I could only have one bike the 790 would be of interest. I have a 1090R and a 450. I would guess two sets of rims would make it more usable a set of knobbies one one and ADV tires on the other. Maybe a rear with sand paddle....hmmmm.............maybe I am interested :hmmmmm
  8. Roadhawg011

Oddometer:
    Ok it seems he is actually keeping the 701 along with the 790.

It’s tempting. I think I need to go test ride one, but that’s always a bad idea!!

I do love the grunt of the 1290 on the road though. Even did a trackday on it.
  9. Pipeman

Pipeman Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was waiting for the 790r until I took a ride on the new BMW F850gs (non Adv) with Karoo 3 tires on it. I couldn't believe how well it tracked on dirt and gravel roads. I put it in enduro pro, turned off traction control and had a blast. Needless to say I bought it and no longer waiting for the 790r. Maybe next year.....
  10. Latebraking

Latebraking Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    KTM dealers might feel like they're in the catbird seat, since the Yamaha Tenere 700 is still a ways off, and likely will be DOA. But, the BMW 850 remains an option. If the KTM dealer comes off as arrogant, or too self assured, BMW likely will sell a few more units.
  11. grant123

grant123 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i have a long-term 850GSA at the moment and its very good. Great off-road and great on road, i suspect even better on road than the KTM 790r
  12. Newbusa

Newbusa Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, but around these parts the 850 is another 4 to 5 grand over the 790.
    Bill 310 likes this.
  13. offroadjunky

offroadjunky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The BMW 850 would have to be a huge improvement over the old one for me to ever consider.My 800 GS was the most boring piece of crap I ever owned, thankfully my 1190 is not.
    Motopumps likes this.
  14. SEK_Nick

SEK_Nick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't know, I wouldn't dismiss the Tenere 700. To be honest, that's the bike I wanted until they finally said it'd be a 2020-2021 model year; KTM beat them to the punch with getting the 790 out sooner.

There's also three big things that will influence some sets of riders:
    1. The headlight on the KTM 790 is just butt ugly. (Honestly I am hoping that the after market takes care of this.)
    2. The Tenere 700 will likely be a solid 30% lower in cost, driven by less gizmos. Matters to those with thinner pocket books - I've been blessed with the ability to purchase the bike I want, but not everybody is so lucky.
    3. Some riders don't want all those gizmos anyways.
    In my opinion, there's a real place in the market for the Tenere 700, and I think it'll be a very successful machine. I also think that the KTM 790 will be very successful.

I'm not a brand loyalist, I'm a fan of "Pick what works for YOU"; and my personal mantra is "Your use case is not my use case, and my use case is not your use case."
  15. Pipeman

Pipeman Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I agree and it is, I also have a 2018 KTM 1290s . Trust me the new F850gs is a great all around bike.
  16. Motopumps

Motopumps Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:

I agree with everything you are saying except the 30% cost difference. That would put the 700 Tenere at $8749.00 vs the 790 R. Even a basic Suzuki DL650XT is $9299.

Rob
  17. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Picked up my 790R yesterday. On the initial test ride I found its motor lively but a bit raw and offputting on pavement compared to the 1190R and 800XC.

Then I got off pavement... I was so totally blown away by the handling and perceived lightness of the bike compared to the 1190R and 800XC that I decided I could easily live with the motors raw feel for the offroad capability the bike offers.

I think it was a Bennets review that concluded the 790R was not the best choice in ADV bikes for tarmac but by far the best choice for those looking for a bike to challenge offroad terrain. In my limited exposure to the 790 so far I completely agree.

There is a price to be paid with any choice, it boils down to personal preference and priorities.
  18. Tool.Nerd

Tool.Nerd An idiot that owns a bike

Oddometer:
    Would you be willing to share a bit more about the tarmac experience?

I'm absolutely love my Street Triple and it's the best bike I've owned yet, but I guess as I've gotten older I've gotten jealous of my friends with some offroad capability. More strongly, I can't help but desire some locking luggage sometimes (and more than the 3 cubic inches of space that the Hepco/Becker kit offers.

Test rode a Tiger XCx and liked it, but not enough to sell the Striple. Now I'm wondering if the 790, maybe even the non-R version, might check all the right boxes.... Very few reviews comment strongly on its road abilities.
  19. kaertner

kaertner Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm surprised the 790 Adventure comes with 21/18 wire wheels. Surely that model should have come with 19/17 and cast wheels just like the 1290 SAS? Unless of course the 790 Adventure T is coming next year with cruise, heated grips, heated seats, cast 19/17 wheels and the top spec suspension.
    wpbarlow and Tool.Nerd like this.
  20. Tool.Nerd

Tool.Nerd An idiot that owns a bike

Oddometer:
    Well shit. That throws a wrench in my plans to pick up a non-R when one shows up at my local dealer.