790 Adventure S (Standard) Suspension Mods

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by No-Fret, Dec 5, 2019.

1. No-Fret

No-Fret Tanker

Oddometer:
    2019-KTM-790-Adventure3.jpg

Looking ahead to add suspension mods to my 790 Adventure Standard.

The stock suspension is mostly non-adjustable so the goal is to maintain stock height while improving fork and shock action as well as adjustability.

Looking forward to see what 3rd party companies can provide for this bike.

Link > Andreani Fork Internals and Shock Adventure (from Italy)
    ANDREANI_105_KT1E__59813.1574206897.450.300.jpg

Link > Hyperpro Shock
    hyperpro_adjustable_with_remote_resverour__81180.1579643154.450.300.jpg

Link > Touratech Progressive Springs F/R

Link > Ohlins Rear shock - Ohlins S46DR1B

Link > Conflict Motorsports - updates coming soon.
  2. luckybum

luckybum old n tard

Oddometer:
    Yes! My issue with the stock suspension is the spring rates. KTM obviously designs in spring rates for what they consider the average rider, as they must. Unfortunately, that rider is a bit heavier than I am. I'm @ 163# fully geared up and the bike is just too stiff offroad. With the shock preload set at minimum I only have about 1-1/4" rider sag. I guess the first step for me is to find out what the stock rear spring rate is and work from there. Hyperpro advertises a rear shock for the 790 S but, at least on the website, doesn't offer different springs. Andreani advertises a drop in kit for the forks but somewhere I read that it is actually for the 790 Duke, not the Adventure. I'm going to contact them for clarification.

https://www.wrs.it/it/sospensioni-c...ndreani-ktm-790-adventure-s-2019-wp-43mm.html

https://www.webshop-hyperpro.com/en...uspension/rear-suspension/rear-shock/KT07-0AC

Anyone else found sources?
    No-Fret likes this.
  3. No-Fret

No-Fret Tanker

Oddometer:
    Great finds. Im sure over time we will have more options. I hope to see reviews as well. We also have Touratech with progressive springs. I added your links to the thread home page.
  4. No-Fret

No-Fret Tanker

Oddometer:
    I weigh 215 without gear and suspension feels good but have not looked at sag yet.
  5. slacker83

slacker83 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll be subscribing to this because I feel the same way about my S
    No-Fret likes this.
  6. No-Fret

No-Fret Tanker

Oddometer:
    Thanks, if you find links to suspension upgrades/manufacturers I can add them to thread home page.
  7. luckybum

luckybum old n tard

Oddometer:
    Just received a response from Andreani. They do indeed have a drop in cartridge kit for the 790 Adventure S forks and will adjust the spring rate to your weight and riding style. For the rear shock they recommend an Ohlins S46DR1B, which they will also set the spring rate. The cartridge kit is 525 euros and the shock is 965 euros.
    scfrank and No-Fret like this.
  8. No-Fret

No-Fret Tanker

Oddometer:
    Very nice, thanks for the info. Will post at top of thread.
  9. No-Fret

No-Fret Tanker

Oddometer:
    Would love to see a review somewhere
  10. luckybum

luckybum old n tard

Oddometer:
    I just received and response from Hyperpro:

Ken,

A new shock from Hyperpro will be custom built with the correct spring rate to your specs and should do what you expect it to do.

The price is $ 609.00 for the emulsion shock with adjustable rebound damping and threaded pre-load.

The fully adjustable is model 461 at $ 849.00 with a remote reservoir, adjustable rebound and high/low speed compression damping and threaded pre-load.

The spring is in the standard color = Purple. Back is optional at +$10.00

Delivery to us next year January. If you order by tomorrow, there is a good chance that it will go into our last shipment this year on Friday this week and if all goes well it will be here by 12-24.

Regards

Klaus Huenecke
    No-Fret likes this.
  11. No-Fret

No-Fret Tanker

Oddometer:
    Awesome news! I was hoping they would mention the remote reservoir option. I will likely order in the springtime. Looking forward to hearing how it goes. Are you ordering the fork inserts as well?
  12. luckybum

luckybum old n tard

Oddometer:
    I'm not ready to order anything yet, just gathering info. I want to talk to Matt @ Mtech and get his input. He has a shop locally and is a former chief mechanic on the AMA superbike tour, so much smarter than me about this stuff!

http://www.mtechmotorcycles.com/about-us/
    No-Fret likes this.
  13. No-Fret

No-Fret Tanker

Oddometer:
    Very good.
  14. Nelso

Nelso All the gear-no idea

Oddometer:
    I’m looking to get an extra 20mm in travel out of mine. When I ordered in November last year there was nothing about suspension options for the R so I got the S for lower height, but I’d really like something between the two. An expensive way would be to buy the R suspension and lower it but I’m wondering if I can extend the S kit?
    No-Fret likes this.
  15. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    @Nelso there must be some local suspension guys with knowledge... maybe ping Craig Hartley (Dalby Moto) on the Aus FB page?..
    Nelso and No-Fret like this.
  16. Konflict Motorsports

Konflict Motorsports TUNER Supporter

Oddometer:
    We just bought a set and will be putting the 790 S suspension through our R&D process in the New Year! Look for updates to be posted in the next few weeks.
    Sidehil, slacker83 and No-Fret like this.
  17. No-Fret

No-Fret Tanker

Oddometer:
    Awesome!! Looking forward to more options.
  18. Hornblower

Hornblower Adventurer

Oddometer:
    As much as I love my 790 standard, the performance of the forks, off road, has been seriously lacking. I didn't realize how much I would miss having preload, rebound, and compression adjustments available. Finally, a company has developed cartridge forks for this model that has all the adjustments. So, last week, I traveled to Fast Bike Industries in Hendersonville, NC and had this kit installed. The kit offered by Andreani is the Misano kit which has been specifically designed for the 790 ADV S. Due to my busy schedule, it will be a couple of weeks before I will be able to give it a good off road test. Once that happens, I'll report back with the results. BTW, this kit is priced at around $600 which seems pretty reasonable, especially if it delivers like I expect. We'll see.
  19. No-Fret

No-Fret Tanker

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to your report Hornblower.
  20. JETalmage

JETalmage Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Also looking forward to hearing results from the company in NC. If it's a substantial improvement, it might be a good excuse for a little springtime jaunt from here in middle GA.

It's not even off-road I'm concerned about. I don't try to use an expensive Adventure Bike as a recreational dirt bike. The A's suspension (especially the fork) is unduly harsh even on minor road bumps. Kind of antithetical to the definitive purpose of an Adventure Bike: extended travel on less-than-smooth roads.

JET
    No-Fret likes this.