790 Adventure S (Standard) Suspension Mods

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by No-Fret, Dec 5, 2019.

1. mokibear

mokibear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Andreani forks cartridges arrived last week(from Rottweiler)
    EPM gives ADVRIDER 15% off: new Hyperpro 461 shock arriving next week
    My feet were both 3 inches off the floor on R model, so this is my attempt at higher performance suspension for the same price the R would have set me back. Ride report will include “spirited” riding on paved Colorado mtn roads, long distance fire roads (Again spirited pace) and high mountain passes (Rocky)
    gilligandavis, new2adv and No-Fret like this.
  2. Norduro

Norduro Thumping

Oddometer:
    I am thinking about going the Touratech/Tractive route to improve the 790's stock suspension, so a new cartridge for the front and a new rear shock. My main complaint is the incredible harshness of the suspension on the road as well as in the dirt. I like some feedback from the ground, but not this much and not all the time. I am 155 lb without gear and luggage, it feels like I am a bit too light for the stock springs. But I doubt that the harshness is only caused by the springing...

Counterintuitively, and as mentioned by others, if you increase the pace off-road things actually improve somewhat. But alas, I am not rider enough to continuously ride at such speeds, so this is out of the question. :p3rry

Does anybody have some experiences to share with the TT/Tractive suspension? I would love to hear if you are happy with your new suspension setup!
    gilligandavis likes this.
  3. mokibear

Oddometer:
    Did a final pre suspension upgrade ride on my S. Just a bumpy gravel mountain road, with lotsof washboard and gravel. Stock suspension is very stiff, not plush, feels pretty bad at normal pace, wick it up and it gets better, except on washboard. Maybe under damped on rear? Packs up quilckly.
    On rougher sections, steep with small step ups, it’s worse.
    On road, it holds a line well, even in bumpy sections. But pretty harsh and of course zero adjustments excepting preload on shock. report coming soon on my $1500 full suspension upgrade. Cartridges look very comparable to Toura Tech at 1/3 the price
    SebasBQ, gilligandavis and No-Fret like this.
  4. new2adv

new2adv Converting gas into wheelies since 1974

Oddometer:
    Who are EPM? Do you have a link you can share?
  5. marchyman

marchyman barely informed Supporter

Oddometer:
    mokibear likes this.
  6. mokibear

Oddometer:
    Mention AdV rider, get 15%
  7. new2adv

Oddometer:
    Thanks! That 15% makes a big difference for those of us who are spending "Canuck bucks".
    mokibear likes this.
  8. stou

stou Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did you set the sag on the bike? I'm at the same weight as you. I set the shock to the lowest preload and the sag is good at the back. At the front I don't have the right sag, too hard. Only 45mm of sag. So I will probably replace the spring and have the valving done. But after 1100km, I found it less harsh and not too bad. Probably the suspension is breaking-in.
    SebasBQ likes this.
  9. Andy UK

Andy UK Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have just fitted the Andreani forks cartridges to my S but not sure about the oil height, on the box is says 145mm which I assume is from the top without the springs in by looking at the pictures, anyone fitted these care to let me know what height they set their oil to please?
  10. mokibear

Oddometer:
    Yes,145 is without the spring. Shock collapsed to measure
  11. Andy UK

Andy UK Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah thanks. I sorted it, not getting the right sag, looking for 60 to 70mm with me geared up, only just getting 50mm so I will get lighter weight springs and may drop down to 2.5wt oil from the 5wt I have used, I'll ride it to see if it settles in a bit first
  12. mokibear

Oddometer:
    Arrived, fully adjustable, looks way better than WP Xplore unit.
    Comes coupon for free rebuild from Epm. plus a cool box!
    $950 shipped with discount

Attached Files:

13. mokibear

Oddometer:
    Super easy to install. I bet I could do the whole thing in an hour now, not counting front wheel removal.
    Harbor freight bike lift purchased for $100 really helped this job.

Forks.: Simply loosen top 10mm Triple clamps bolts, loosen fork cap then remove forks, put in soft jaws in vice, remove hex bolt, drain, remove fork cap and the entire cartridge comes out. No need to remove the springs.
    Set in new cartridge, install hex bolt, set oil height (about 450ml), install spring, screw on fork cap. Tighten it when you have the lower triple clamp bolts snugged.
    I used a ratchet strap to pull the spring down so I could get a 17mm wrench on the nut below the fork cap.

Shock: Could not be easier, jack up rear end, remove bolts, reinstall bolts and shock. Mount remote reservoir.

I now have preload, comp and rebound in front, and hi/low comp, rebound and xtrig device to set preload in the rear. No hydraulic preload for 790 S, so they install an Xtrig for about $200.

Raining today (finally in Colorado) so no test ride yet.
  14. new2adv

Oddometer:
    I didn’t see what you bought for the forks - are they the Adreani cartridges?
  15. mokibear

Oddometer:
    Yes, From Rottweiler
  16. No-Fret

No-Fret Tanker

Oddometer:
    I am very pleased with the HyperPro shock as well. Bike is transformed. Also the Andreani kit is awesome.
  17. cbig

cbig Rift- Raft, SCooter Trash

Oddometer:
    Mokibear
    Any further tests of your upgrades? Curiously, I just rode (on a 500 exc no less ) your Colorado passes around Ouray, Telluride and Silverton. Thought, man, would be a lot better on an adventure bike with some suspension! Dirt bikes suck long hwy distances.

I have a chance to get a 790 s cheap, a and wondering how you did?

Most concerned about square edged bumps, washboard and that last inch or two bottom resistance if comingmoff a rock lip or say 2 ft drop.

Thanks,
    Chuck
    No-Fret likes this.
  18. EvilTwin86

EvilTwin86 Lone Ranger

Oddometer:
    How does the Xtrig device work?
  19. Ten Speed

Ten Speed Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Went with Tractive extreme shock from Ted Porter's shop in Scotts Valley, Ca. It's very robust and adjustable. It works very well. Little bit of work installing. DSCF0280.JPG DSCF0279.JPG
    slacker83, cbig and No-Fret like this.
  20. slacker83

slacker83 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you for posting, I had never heard of tractive before. Looks like they have cartridges and shocks for the S, would you mind sharing how spendy the shock was?