790 Adventure S (Standard) Suspension Mods

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by No-Fret, Dec 5, 2019.

1. Spanishguy

Spanishguy n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi guys. I m from spain but there isn t a lot of information about our bikes in my language. So here i am and this is my question:
    Anyone has the tractive/touratech fork kit? No one in my country has it.
    I don't know whether to buy the tractive kit and shock or the R's forks and shock.
    In my country both cost the same so i worried about the best performance.
    Sorry for my poor english.
    Thank you
  2. sherloc

sherloc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Your English is great, I couldn’t write that paragraph in Spanish without using a translator... Ride Safe!
    SebasBQ and Spanishguy like this.
  3. slacker83

slacker83 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've only heard good things about the tractive kit I just don't know if you would gain any ground clearance that you would get with the r forks and shock. Myself I think I would go tractive because the R rear shock has not exactly been problem free, also with the additional ground clerance will probably need to get a new kickstand. Remember all the oem components were built to a price, anything aftermarket should be better from a quality company.
    Spanishguy and W-Gator like this.
  4. TimTyler

TimTyler Makes MOTOTREK

Oddometer:
    Very happy with my TracTive X-TREME-PA Rear shock. Still using the factory forks.
    Spanishguy likes this.
  5. Spanishguy

Spanishguy n00b

Oddometer:
    I m a short guy but i think i d could handdle the R suspension ().
    But i really dont know wich is the best option.

48mm and 240 mm stock R suspension.
    vs
    43mm vs 200mm tractive.

Both options cost 2100 euros. (Larger kickstand and larger front brake cable included)

I get the point, aftermarket has better components but it s shorter and thinner too.
    I think it s a difficult choice.
  6. kubcat

kubcat Riding is Eudaemonic Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think all parts, including after market parts are built to a price point. I wouldn't bet my $1500 on that point of view. The r shock is highly reliable if you get it set up right. Since the OP is buying an upgrade, no matter the brand he should pay to get the right spring and valving setup. I suggest WP if there is a dealer nearby (not just a KTM dealer)
  7. Spanishguy

Spanishguy n00b

Oddometer:
    I m just 143 lbs, the front fork doesn t work fine for me. I ll change both.
    But thank you for the info about the rear shock.
  8. W-Gator

W-Gator Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi @Spanishguy
    If (a) you think you can handle the extra height, and (b) you are ok with the cost of the R suspension and the cost of modifying it to suit your weight, then I would go with the R suspension. It is simply a vastly superior place to start from than the WP Apex suspension on the S.

If cost is a concern, check out the Andreani fork cartridge and Hyper Pro shock to save some Euros. Both have favorable reviews in this thread. They include springs for your weight and provide preload, compression and rebound adjustments.
  9. Spanishguy

Spanishguy n00b

Oddometer:
    The R suspension wouldn t be modificated to suit on my weight. It costs 600 euros and all the operation would cost almost 3000 euros. Too expensive.
    And i think i can handdle the extra height but...if i m honest...
    I'd rather not check it in case I'm wrong.
    I change my mind all the time: "you can do it go fot it" vs "reach the ground it s safer and you can ride on harder tracks".
  10. Spanishguy

Spanishguy n00b

Oddometer:
    Update:
    Finally i ve bought the R s suspension. A guy who has a brand new 890 r sold it to me because he is going to buy the xplor pro.
    Thanks for your help.
    W-Gator likes this.
  11. Norduro

Norduro Thumping

Oddometer:
    Even after re-reading the thread I am still not quite sure what the S-model's stock spring rate is. The number 115 NM/mm (11.72 kg/mm) was mentioned a couple of times in this thread and also in the following WP service sheet about the Apex shock. Anybody know for sure? What about the forks?

I am 84 kg (185 lbs) with gear, the suspension tuner recommended spring rates of around 6.4 N/mm front (0.65 kg/mm) and 110 N/mm rear (11.22 kg/mm). Just wanting to double-check if we are on the right path. :thumb
    Wolf_ADV likes this.
  12. stou

stou Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes it is 115mn. I just have a new Stadium shock order to replace the stock WP of my S. The guy at the shop measured the spring rate because I told him that is is a bit firm for me. So he will put a 107 on my new shock. With the 115, I can just have the right sag at the minimum preload. On the new shock, there's a lot of play for the preload. So I wanted to have a better range to play with. The new one will have preload, hi and low compression and rebound adjustments.
    Norduro likes this.
  13. Norduro

Norduro Thumping

Oddometer:
    Thank you for your reply!
    What confused me the most were the different OEM spring rates of the S vs. the R model (115 N/ mm for the S vs. 95 N/mm for the R). But I did not consider how the different stroke and resulting spring lengths affected the spring rates, some basic maths later everything makes sense again. I chose the Tractive cartridge and shock and look forward to finally having compliant suspension on my 790. It will take a couple of weeks for the kit to arrive.
  14. W-Gator

W-Gator Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi @stou
    Are you getting model #740HR2?
    740HR2 | (stadiumsuspension.com)
  15. stou

stou Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes Gator, the 740HR2.
  16. stou

stou Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here's my new Stadium shock installed. Can't wait for the snow to melt to try it!

wIMG_2780.JPG

wIMG_2781.JPG
  17. turbofan790

turbofan790 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    outdoorsman likes this.
  18. c-m

c-m Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here is a strange one.

Since I was asking about the 3rd party suspension options and how they compare. I messaged Ohlins, Hyper Pro and Tractive.

Ohlins HQ in Sweden claim there is nothing in their catalogue for the 790 adventure.

Hyper Pro said they haven't yet measured the 890 Adventure and have so have no products available.

A search on these forums shows people with both. An internet search shows suspension made by both companies for sale online through retailers. The only answer that seems to make sense is that someone has gone to both companies and had a custom product made for the 790 adventure and is distributing it to retailers. Strange that the actual manufacturers wouldn't know about it.
    ibgary likes this.
  19. stou

stou Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My Stadium shock has been specially developed by Stadium with my help for the 790S. And it work very well. Maybe you want to talk to them ;-)
  20. new2adv

new2adv Converting gas into wheelies since 1974

Oddometer:
    Hyperpro definitely have shocks and springs for the 790 Adventure. I got mine from EPM Performance Imports. They have a discount for ADVrider inmates. https://epmperf.com/