790 Adventure - Standard Model Specific

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by bungees, Nov 14, 2018.

1. bungees

bungees epsilon semi-n00b

Oddometer:
    A thread for the "Non-R" 790 Adventure. Model specific news and info related to the unique aspects of the bike: suspension, seats, bodywork, windscreens, accessories, street rubber, etc. - feel free to post it up. R riders welcome, please try to keep your muddy ass boots off the floor ;)

KTM 790 Adv.png
  2. ErÑete

ErÑete Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Es bueno!
    bungees likes this.
  3. bungees

Oddometer:
    List of standard model features differing from the "R" (feel free to chime in w/ updates corrections):

1. Front suspension: 43 mm non-adjustable inverted WP APEX open cartridge fork, 7.9" travel vs fully adjustable inverted 48 mm WP XPLOR, 9.4" travel.
    2. Rear suspension: preload adjustable WP shock, 7.9" travel vs WP XPLOR PDS shock, 9.4" travel.
    3. Ground clearance: 9.2" vs 10.4"
    4. Steering head angle: 25.9 vs 26.3 degrees. Trail dimensions unknown.
    5. Wheelbase: 59.4" vs 60.2"
    6. Tires: Avon Trailrider road biased vs Metzler Karoo 3 dirt biased. Both 90/90-21 front, 150/70-18 rear. Tubeless!!
    7. Seat height: 32.7"-33.5" vs 34.6"
    8. Seat: height adjustable stepped two piece seat vs fixed one piece.
    9. Front fender: low mount vs high mount. (appear to be interchangeable).
    10. Windscreen: high screen vs low screen (appear to be interchangeable).
    11. Bodywork: graphics are unique.
  4. tomdubz

tomdubz getting there Supporter

Oddometer:
    Who's gonna be the first to just get an R and some Woodies 17/19?
    The_Precious_Juice likes this.
  5. gearheadE30

gearheadE30 @LC8Adventures Supporter

Oddometer:
    The full size wheels is actually one of the things that sets the standard model apart, in my opinion. Most or all of the other low seat height options out there have the smaller rims, which are detrimental off road. Seems like this might be an opportunity for people who want some off road performance and still be able to touch the ground, if my friends with BMW F650GSs with a 21" front swapped on are any indication.
    szramer and Nelso like this.
  6. bungees

Oddometer:
    True, & seat height vs ground clearance and suspension travel is impressive and looks promising for off pavement duty.

For me personally, I am interested in this bike as a lightweight sport-tourer for mixed commuting / two up riding, probably 99% on-pavement on the crappy roads infesting my neck of the woods. This is the first 21" front tire bike I have had much interest in a LONG time. But, with the reasonable seat height, I think it has some potential and will be following along with the reviews, particularly regarding on-road handling & suitability for light ST type use.
  7. emmodg

emmodg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like a damn Honda! There's a lot going on in that design that is overly-complicated and "Asian-esque". I bought a 950 ADV S not only because it's been a dream bike and is really just a big dirt bike but also because it's a great-simple design that just LOOKS Austrian. The new 790 and even big ADV KTM's look like an exercise in Asian Bike Design. Personally - I'd buy the new 690 and put a rally fairing on it and call it good!
    Pablo Mac likes this.
  8. bungees

Oddometer:
    Maybe you like this one better? It has orange...

KTM 790 Adv Orange.png
    ibgary, Pablo Mac and Unhingedlizard like this.
  9. Barekat

Barekat Looking to get dirty

Oddometer:
    I wonder if the 1290SAT plastic panniers would attach to the 790 mounts? The KTM website shows the current style plastic panniers mounted.

790.JPG
  10. GeorgeD

GeorgeD Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    i don't think so.
    article no. for the set of panniers is 00010000301 and is different than the 1x90 series
    different article for the carrier mechanism too. For the 790 is 63512012044. For the 1x90 is 60712932000

and for some reason the 790's panniers cost 780 euro and the 1x90's cost 970 euro
    Barekat likes this.
  11. emmodg

emmodg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hmmmmmm...... Untitled-1.jpg
    11motos likes this.
  12. snakepilot

snakepilot Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    We get it, you don’t like it.

But if you think that you can turn a 690 R into an adventure bike I wish you luck!
    I spent a lot of money on my 690 R and it was still a big dirt bike, but a lousy adventure bike.
    ibgary, 06Z, kojack06 and 2 others like this.
  13. emmodg

emmodg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well the 690 R has the same XPLOR fork, it has a bigger tank, traction control, etc... I guess it depends on what your definition of an "adventure bike" is. Is it a big engine? Is it a big tank? Is it heated grips and knobbies? It's kinda like "trail" running shoes vs. road running shoes. Some compete/run "on trail" with a road running shoe. Is the 690 as fast as a 790? Nope. Is a 790 as fast as a 1290? Nope. Does that mean a 1290 is a better "adventure bike"? I think the 790 is a cool idea. I bet it's a fun bike. Just not sure what it's purpose is....and I wish it was a bit more "original" looking. To each his own.
    Anthiron and Pablo Mac like this.
  14. 666

666 Agnostic and Orange

Oddometer:
    It could be my bike in 2021. Is it going to be at IMS show in Long Beach?
  15. lonerockz

lonerockz Permanent n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I thought this was the more street oriented thread?!? Not the “790s not cool enough for me I’ve got to buy a 690 and ride more dirt” thread.

With that said...

My deposit is on the non-R because of the seat height. Based on comments in the other thread the street seat can go on the R, but it would be higher than stock in the high position by about .5” and lower by the same amount in the low position.

My goal in the bike will be to ride a circuit of South America. So think muddy Brazilian rainforest highways, atacama desert, Ruta 40. Im not going to go down any damn single track, no trekking off into the jungle.

I rode the standard seat on an Africa Twin in low position at 33.5”, but it was a little high. Never dropped it, but felt like I might in a parking lot.

Any one think I’m wrong to not go with the R and it’s super spiffy suspension? I know it’s adjustable but honestly I have no clue how to adjust it for different conditions. I’m a little worried about packing the front with mud with that low fender. The money’s not an issue.

What do you say? Standard or R?
    FlyLow and kojack06 like this.
  16. HerrDeacon

HerrDeacon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    From my understanding the front fender from the R will swap over to the standard, so that could be an option if you go with the standard.
  17. snakepilot

snakepilot Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’d pick the Adventure over the R.

It has plenty of suspension travel for your planned use, and you will be carrying some additional weight in such a trip. The seat height will be crucial in handling the bike in those situations. I would consider spooning some more dirt oriented tires too cope with mudd and sand.
    lonerockz likes this.
  18. bungees

Oddometer:
    No KTM on the exhibitors list.
  19. Pablo Mac

Pablo Mac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Imagine a slightly toned-down 950/990 ADV aesthetic - that would have been very recognizable as a KTM Adventure model, less likeyly to be mistaken for an Asian bike. In other words: AWESOME.
    emmodg likes this.
  20. bungees

Oddometer:
    Aesthetics are so subjective - I think the 790 looks fantastic. Admittedly I think the 500X looks great also, so I do kinda see the point. But there is still a definite recognizable connection to the rest of KTM's current beasts with the spy vs spy visage and all that.

Ready to see some ride reviews on this thing! Any word on the press launch?
    kojack06 likes this.