790 Adventure - Standard Model Specific

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by bungees, Nov 14, 2018.

1. Smashy

Smashy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is there such a thing as racks that easily clip on/off? On most of my rides I'm only carrying a small tailpack so I don't need big side racks on the bike most of the time, only when carrying side cases.
  2. Norduro

Norduro Thumping

Oddometer:
    The SW Motech rack I posted on the previous page is designed to be removed and installed according to whether you need it or not. I has a quick lock system just for that.

The alternative would be soft luggage that does not need a rack to begin with and that can be easily mounted and removed (Mosko Moto, Enduristan, ...).
  3. Tool.Nerd

Tool.Nerd An idiot that owns a bike

Oddometer:
    That may indeed be the best option.

I'm holding out to see what Givi comes up with for the bike. I like the Trekker Outback cases myself, but I know the bike would need an asymmetric setup due to the exhaust. If I did that, I'm fond of that smallest Trekker Outback case but the one up from it that would go on the left side is just a bit huge/overkill for me. In that regard, I might have to check out Bumont since it hugs the exhaust better via a notch in the right case.

And I just realized there was a thread for 790 Adv mods and accessories.
    No-Fret likes this.
  4. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^ Don’t forget Kriega gear as well... Can highly recommend their modular approach, tough construction and crash proof-ness. DAMHIK :)
  5. Tool.Nerd

Tool.Nerd An idiot that owns a bike

Oddometer:
    The tail plate on the Standard Model is a bit confusing to me. So please excuse me for being really dumb, but.... at the following page, I see three "top case carriers" sold:
    https://www.ktm.com/en/travel/790-adventure-r/accessories-luggage

The first two are stated to be needed for specific top case models. Then there is a third "top case carrier" that states it is required as a base for all the topcases and top case carriers. Am I supposed to be replacing the plate between my 790's grab handles with that base plate before I stick on a Givi Universal Adapter plate like the following?
    https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle...MIntLi-YLl4gIVkYzICh0UTQFgEAQYASABEgK_BvD_BwE
  6. Nelso

Nelso All the gear-no idea

Oddometer:
    It is confusing. I've bought a Givi top plate for my Monokey Trekker Outback case and I'm expecting it to bolt straight on. The universal plate you are referring to should fit on any bike, I had one before and you just locate the bendy clamps anywhere it can grip something, the plate is full of holes under the thin cover to locate bolts almost anywhere you need them. You may need to get the drill out for some
  7. Nelso

Oddometer:
    OK, got the bike today and it's great - better than I expected. Findings:
    • Dealer told me BT works - it doesn't. Waiting to hear back on what they're going to do
    • Got the Givi SRA7703 top plate and I had to use spacers and all kinds of trickery to get it to fit - but ultimately it will. Holes line up so make the best of it from there
    • I have an SW-Motech EVO Engage tank bag off my previous VStrom - It doesn't fit, not even close, and if it did it would look terrible. Off to get an EVO Micro
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  8. snipesd

snipesd Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I tried to help you see the differences by circling them for you... upload_2019-7-2_8-26-40.png
    Chief Salamander, No-Fret and Jaimoto like this.
  9. Nelso

Oddometer:
    Dealer reloaded dash software and all BT features work fine now. Have noticed some condensation in the dash so will see what they do at 1k service. Really enjoying this bike, I know an R wasn't much more expensive but manageable seat height and all road going qualities (screen, low guard) makes it great. It eats up rough dirt roads too
    Oceandiving954 likes this.
  10. No-Fret

No-Fret Tanker

Oddometer:
  11. Nelso

Oddometer:
    500km now and issues encountered so far:
    • BT wasn't working, returned to dealer and reloaded software and fixed
    • Condensation in LCD dash
    • Brake light always on
    • I think the steering head bearings are a bit loose