790 changes for 2020?

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by sims159914, Jul 7, 2019.

1. sims159914

sims159914 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Anyone hearing grumbling as of updates for the next model year? Not referring to the Rallye but bug fixes or enhancements to the ‘19 model.
  2. BronNowo

BronNowo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    they will update the "made in ..." sticker...
    el Pete and Pablo Mac like this.
  3. Pablo Mac

Pablo Mac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That is an update I will take a hard pass on.
  4. The_Eccentric

The_Eccentric Gearhead. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bah. That 'update' won't be happening for 2020 (already confirmed by KTM). Probably another year or two before that happens at the least. Others have opined that the earlier 2020 change to China mfg thing was just a marketing ploy by KTM to get people off the "don't want to buy a first year KTM model buyer" fence ("...better get a 2019 NOW, 'cause they're gonna be made in China in 2020!!!") and I'm inclined to agree. In any case, my 2020 will be arriving with the first batch this fall (supposedly November).
    sims159914 likes this.
  5. Dao1

Dao1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    when i was visiting the KTM tent in April during our motogp weeknd, the ktm rep told me the same thing...ie, after the first batch of 790 shipments to USA dealers, all subsequent 790 shipments will be coming out of China. However, that ktm rep said the china batch is expected to transition into the USA dealers around Aug/sept 2019....fwiw....
  6. chippertheripper

chippertheripper motorcycle junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    This shit again??
  7. Night Crawler

Night Crawler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry if I missed it earlier, but could you share where this info is from? I want to put a deposit down, but do not want to be surprised with a Made in China when it arrives.
    My reasons are just that (mine) not trying to open up a debate on this.
    Pablo Mac likes this.
  8. The_Eccentric

Oddometer:
    It's somewhere within the last 100 or so pages of big 790 Adventure thread.

A few dfferent dealers told me the same thing as well.
  9. grunkster

grunkster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    so 2020's in aug/sept? or nov? It matters to me because I am doing a ktm demo day july27, and i believe the $500 voucher is good for 90days
  10. The_Eccentric

Oddometer:
    My northern California dealer said November for the first batch of 2020 790 ADV R's.
  11. Brilloman

Brilloman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    KTM says that many of the parts are already made in China and the bikes that will be built in China are merely assembled there. I suppose that there may be some merit to this but I would still like to think that the bikes built in Austria are built by craftsmen even if they are all just assembly workers like any other assembly plant....
  12. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    Not subscribed ..
  13. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Craftsmen? Those craftsman stripped the threads out of the plastic in my tail light. All three. Clearly used too much torque on the self tapping screws. They just spun when I tried to remove tail light. I’ll take line workers with calibrated torque wrenches over an engineering tech with a screw driver any day.
  14. Brilloman

Brilloman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lol! Lately I have done more damage with my torque wrench than without. My friend who is a 40 year master tech said he is goin going to take my torque wrench away from me!

I would hope that the assembly workers in Austria are not the type that drink beer on their lunch hour! 30 years ago I toured several assembly plants operated by one of the big 3 auto manufacturers. One was in the US and one was across the border in Canada. The Canadians impressed me more as craftsmen at that time. One would hope that Austria still has an “old world” culture among their workforce but since I have never been there I wouldn’t know.