790 Engine quality/reliability

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by 1956Kmack, Sep 16, 2019.

1. 1956Kmack

1956Kmack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've searched all over and come up with very little information about opinions of this engine.

I am ready to buy a new motorcycle and have narrowed my choices to either the Tracer 900 GT or the 790 Adventure Standard (I'm more of a fast road guy but occasionally do gravel, grass, etc but no hardcore offroad)

These two bikes check more boxes for me than any others out there with the KTM ranking higher on most of the required areas but trailing in the comfort features.

I'm hoping some of you guys own or ride with some version of the 790 and can give some real world perspective of how they are working out for their owners.

If this engine is comparable to the 900 triple, I am ready to choose the KTM over the Yamaha.

Thanks for reading this and giving your thoughts.
  2. TripleTriples

TripleTriples Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    To be perfectly honest, if you're spending more time on the road, I'd go with one of the v-twins. A 1090 will cost the same or less and you can find leftover 1290s for a bit more.

Both are roomier and have more gocheese.
  3. Lewilewi

Lewilewi Ride it like you stole it......

Oddometer:
    790 oil seal leaks, minor repair needed

There was something else mentioned too

It's in the 790 threads if you look there
  4. 1956Kmack

Oddometer:
    I've considered the larger bikes but the lower seat height, lower wet weight, and longer range of the 790 are my top three criteria for choosing it. At 63 years old, weight lifting the bike off the ground and getting good footing on maginal surfaces are important. Light weight is #1 for me.
    Jack90210 likes this.
  5. Lewilewi

Oddometer:

Definately avoid the big ktms then

They seriously hustle, but are seriously heavy with high seats and centre of gravity...especially when two up with full luggage
  6. 1956Kmack

Oddometer:
    I've seen those and consider anything like repairable seal leaks non-issues.

I'm more interested to know how happy owners are with this engine overall. The 900 triple is well loved but the 790 is too new to have as wide spread internet acclaim. That's why I'd like to hear from folks with actual, face to face exposure.
  7. Lewilewi

Oddometer:
    If I were you I'd be on a 900 tracer from what you wrote.
  8. 1956Kmack

Oddometer:
    Is this because you lack confidence in the 790 engine or think the Tracer is a better overall road bike? I really like the Tracer too but if the 790 Adventure is close on the road, the lighter weight, lower CG and seat height, longer range and off road capabilities are favorable to me.
  9. Barekat

Barekat Looking to get dirty

Oddometer:
    I’ve ridden my buddy's 900 Tracer and the motor was turbine smooth and the bike really handled well. If I was riding primarily tarmac the Yamaha would be my choice as it checks all the boxes.
  10. Bart20170

Bart20170 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ktm 790 wind protection is useless...
  11. obrianmcc

obrianmcc Long timer

Oddometer:
    ... I've been around two seperate brand new 790's ... both have had issues. The 790 engine platform isn't new and should be overall reliable, but KTM is surrounding the motor with an exorbitant amount of glitchy tech and temperamental components.
    hondamxracer likes this.
  12. mhr650

mhr650 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    This isn’t the best forum to get information about the 790, on ADV the 950/990 forum has much more info until we can get a dedicated 790 forum. Even better would be a Duke forum since the 790 engine has been out in the Duke for a lot longer. While you are there have you considered a 790 Duke instead of adventure? Seems like that would be closer to the Yamaha than the 790 Adventure.
    TheBritAbroad and Barekat like this.
  13. 1956Kmack

Oddometer:
    I see the Duke as more of a naked bike like the MT09 as opposed to the Tracer GT. I am looking for more of a SportTourer which can deal with occasional back roads and very light offroad. That's where I see the Tracer GT and standard 790 Adventure falling.
  14. mhr650

mhr650 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I get that, the 790S should be about perfect for what you want with the major bonus that you can actually get one unlike the 790R which is impossible to find.
  15. PA1290SA

PA1290SA Located in Berks County Pa

Oddometer:
    I’ve ridden an FJ-09 and the KTM 790 Duke. Do not an exact match but close.

The 3 cylinder engine in the FJ09 is a fantastic mill, no doubt about it. Got a lot of praise when it came out. However, I thought it lacked character, which is something I like my engines to have.

The twin in the 790 was a good engine too, lots of fun, I preferred the powerband of twins. KTMs typically have great engines, so it was no surprise.

I think the aftermarket will provide lots of options to make the new 790 adventure into a serious mile muncher.

My money, based on your input, 790 all day long. I’ve heard the gas tanks being low makes it feel 100lbs less than it is.
  16. Saltboxlad

Saltboxlad Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Tracer is a stonking deal for the money, and the engines a gem, but IMHO it shows in the parts/build etc. My mates just bought one cos he wants a bike thats reliable and seems to be gleeful over the fact my KTM has had a couple of issues, but sorry Yamaha, parts quality of a xmas cracker toy. Rubber brakes hoses? Come on
  17. ianmp

ianmp *****

Oddometer:
    the bikes are really different, ride them both before pulling the trigger. The FJ09 hauls ass and rips corners, for a fast road guy it will be better than something with 21/18 wheels. You can do light duty offroad on anything
  18. obrianmcc

obrianmcc Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yamaha Tracer ... Honda VFR. Both good options .... if your focus is off road then the 790R would be a better choice. Otherwise I would take a hard look at the Yamaha and Honda.
  19. 1956Kmack

Oddometer:
    Test rides will be taken as soon as I can find a dealer willing and able.
  20. 1956Kmack

Oddometer:
    Is the VFR available in US. I am forced by out-of-state registration rules to buy new.