790 Engine quality/reliability

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by 1956Kmack, Sep 16, 2019.

1. 1956Kmack

1956Kmack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good point. I'll check into that next time. It did have that kind of feel.
  2. Its not Ginger!

Its not Ginger! Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would prefer a 17" over a 19" for roadwork only, it will almost certainly help a little, but when you take the next step up to a 21", as well as the wheel being the size of the London Eye and providing a lot of gyroscopic force that fights getting the bike turned, it also has a skinnier front tyre.

I accept the 19" compromise on my S model as it is still very capable and ticks all the boxes, but I would not run the R's 21" for my road only use, and as stated, if a 17" option was available, or a reasonably priced option I would take it.

We also need to consider the bikes riding position, many people with ride an R1 and then an Adventure and proclaim the difference in feel to be due to the 19" wheel, my guess it is more because the R1 rider is virtually holding the front wheel spindle and canted forward onto it, whereas the Adventure rider is bolt upright with the bars six foot from the wheel spindle....

...I might even find a 17" does not alter much - but I can certainly notice a significant difference between the 19" on the S and the 21" on the R.
  3. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    Comparing these two bikes doesn't make sense to me. They are just too different. I think the OP's question should be: "do I want a street bike or do I want a dual-sport bike/adventure bike?"
    scfrank likes this.
  4. brad21

brad21 We have a pool... and a pond.

Oddometer:
    Uhhh, we have an S and an R model and they both have 21" front wheels...
    JETalmage likes this.
  5. SRTie4k

SRTie4k Northeast Explorer

Oddometer:
    He's talking about the 1290's.
    brad21 likes this.
  6. 1956Kmack

Oddometer:
    Maybe this will help you understand. I don't associate myself by label with any group. I want a bike that is exceptional AS a road bike and will be capable of light off road.

Whichever category you want to put it in is irrelevant to me.

As long as it is less than 500 lbs, seat height less thn 34", fuel range is greater than 180 mile, has cruise control, comfortable ergonomics, is between 750 and 1200 cc, 75 hp min, 65 torque min, under $14000, reliable, etc, I'm interested in it.

You see, some of us want the best all around bike we can get to suit how we ride rather than one that falls in a particular category based on how someone else rides.

Dual sport to me means a dirt bike you can tolerate on your way to the dirt, Adventure bike means a big, heavy, powerful bike which is good for long distance and is stout enough to survive multiple ground contact instances from trying to use it as a dirt bike, and street bike to me means a crotch rocket configuration or a cruiser which works on the paved roads but sucks cmpletely offroad.

I don't want any of those.

Hope that helps with your confusion...
    GlennR likes this.
  7. SRTie4k

Oddometer:
    You're asking for the same unicorn that ADVRider has been hunting for the past 5 years. The 790 is the closest you will ever get. The Tiger 800 might come close as well, although is not sub 500lbs, but if you're considering the Tiger 800, you should also consider the 1290SA S or R, which are right around the same weight and with discounts somewhat close to $14k.

Or just wait until 2020 and buy the new Africa Twin base model.
  8. 1956Kmack

Oddometer:
    Africa Twin spec's were announced after I posted this thread. It falls pretty much on my numbers too but I may buy something before they make it available here. I guess we'll see.

I'm hoping to ride to Alaska in June and would like some time to get me and the new bike ready for that trip so Tenere 700 is out also.

900 Tiger sounds interesting but price is high on the Triumph already and I expect it to go up.

I wish these models were on the showrooms around here (Savannah GA) but nobody seems to stock any of the ones I'm interested in looking at.
  9. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nope, more confused than ever. By 'a road bike and will be capable of light off road.' you mean 'off-pavement' not 'single track'? Any standard type bike will qualify then.

I think you like the 790 Adv S. And especially like it if you laced up a 19" front wheel for a 110-19 radial tire. It would drop the front about a 1/2" inch, quicken up the steering slightly, and really stick great on pavement. I've done that on a 950 adv, 990 adv and my 1090 adv. Really transforms these bikes. I still use the 21" for extensive gravel travel.

The 17" wheels on the super motards and wana be adv bikes really suck in loose gravel or slightly soft sand and typically handle weird on pavement with a tiny bit of tire wear.
  10. Saltboxlad

Saltboxlad Long timer

Oddometer:
    "Exceptional road bike that can handle off road". ? That'll be a 1290SAS in my book, but taller and pricier than you want. 790 dont do it for me, I reckon the 1090 would be the better bet if you could find a new one. Ive said it before, as good a bike as the Tracer is to me it has all the quality of a xmas cracker toy. And yes, hit a patch of gravel with a 17" front and its pucker time
    SASteve likes this.
  11. 1956Kmack

Oddometer:
    My riding is usually start point to next destination as opposed to home to playground. Light offroad to me means being able to handle unpaved roads for hundreds of miles per day as some of the country's best scenery is only seen from such roads.

I ride alone most of the time so lower cg and lighter weight means I can get the bike back up by myself. The lower seat height means I (at 63 years old and losing strength with time) am less prone to drops at awkward stops along the way.

I have owned everything from a 1963 Honda 90 S to a BMW K1200LT, an F800GSA, to a couple of offroad only dirtbikes by Suzuki and Yamaha, and even a pair of Harleys, currently riding a Ducati Scrambler Desert Sled which would be perfect with 2 more gallons of fuel capacity, Cruise Control, and support for luggage.

I think the 3" difference in seat height from the 1090 to the 790 shouldn't be dismissed as insignificant for me.

I would love to have the extra ponies and fuel but not the height.

I will try to find one to feel before I choose.
    No-Fret likes this.
  12. SRTie4k

Oddometer:
    If you love your Desert Sled but want a bigger gas tank and cruise control, maybe you should consider the Triumph Scrambler 1200. Starts at $14k, ~500lbs wet, 2.5L bigger gas tank vs Desert Sled, and comes with cruise control.
  13. Saltboxlad

Saltboxlad Long timer

Oddometer:
    They aint half tall
  14. Norty01

Norty01 RIDERCOACH (RETIRED!)

Oddometer:
    I recommend the Tiger 800 Roadie Low.
    It ticks all your criteria boxes. It’s also been around since 2011, with riders riding them all over the planet. So, it has proved itself, over and over again.
    Only thing now, is what tires to run.
  15. obrianmcc

obrianmcc Long timer

Oddometer:

.... fast forward to the 27 min mark. Interesting point about the airbox? .... and a TFT/FOB glitch. Go figure ....

... I will say that these guys cover some miles (or kilometers)
  16. Its not Ginger!

Its not Ginger! Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1, the 790S / 1290S Adventure models will do the job very well, the 790 will have the best off-road manners and the 1290 will be the best on the road and as a long distance tourer - the 1090S/R would possibly be a great value option if you can live without cruise, with the R slanting more towards off-road.

I guess it depends what "unpaved roads" means, in the UK we have very few places we can ride other than the Queens highway and do not actually have any "off road" places to ride at all, we cannot ride in woods or on any other kind of common land, so it is only "Roads" we can use.

We do have some old rights of way (byways) referred to as "Green Lanes" - these are typically dirt / mud tracks, more often Mud with our climate, and with little off road skills I can find them hard work on a DRZ400S, they are like riding on ice when wet and have deep ruts where 4x4's have dug them up, which is why most people that ride them use small Enduro machines (250 - 450cc)

...I expect you mean nice well graded gravel roads, which I would be happy to ride all day long on my 1290S.....

...I am extremely envious of guys in the US where you have lots of land you can enjoy, I would love to be able to just ride around in the wilderness for hours on end - without ending up on the wrong end of a Farmers shotgun.
  17. Don T

Don T Bike Addict

Oddometer:
    I have ridden both the 790 Adventure and the 900 Tracer.
    Both bikes can cover the kind of riding you describe - with the Tracer being the better bike for eating up miles on tarmac while the 790 is superior on dirt and gravel.
    They might look somewhat similar on paper but offer very different riding experiences. I'm sure a test ride will make it clear which one you prefer.
    Based on my own experiences, that of friends' and what I can read in various forums, the Yamaha will most likely offer better reliability and more trouble free miles than the KTM, but in spite of that I would personally choose the 790 as I find it to be the best overall package of the two - but that's just me :-)
  18. 1956Kmack

Oddometer:
    I live in the middle of the country which is where most of our agricultural land is located. We have roads every mile heading north/south and east/west. These grids of dirt/sand/gravel/rock roads vary based on the make-up of the ground beneath. Some (very few) are what would be considered nicely graded with the majority being either bumpy hard rock surfaces or sand/dirt covered with quarried rock, or sand/dirt. Each type can become trecherous with rain matching you slick as ice description. Their condition is worsened by the washout cause by water runoff and also from damage caused by heavy farm equipment traveling them when they are wet.

There are paved roads maybe every 10 miles within these grid patterns of which some are nice and some would barely pass as a maintained road.

I rarely if ever try to ride these roads in wet muddy condition due to their difficulty plus the mess they make of the bike but when dry they get you to a lot of desireable destinations.

My riding mix would be 10% or less on these roads and more than 90% on paved roads. When I travel on the bike, I target 350-500 combined total miles per day.
  19. Nevada

Nevada Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Utah Valley, Utah, USA - unless out riding.
    Torque. I'd wager that it isn't a matter of the SuperT having more hp, it doesn't. It's that it has a better torque/weight ratio. Both bikes probably have very similar top speeds, it's simply that the SuperT gets to that top speed quicker than the GT. 25% more engine with about 15% more bike.
  20. waylongway

waylongway madmax Supporter

Oddometer: