790 forum section?

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by Andy_L, Jun 11, 2019.

1. JOKER650

JOKER650 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes please.
    This is the 950/990 section.
    Give the little bikes their own section.
    Or at least move into their own “Too many CPU’s” section.
  2. Jeff Sichoe

Jeff Sichoe ruddy bastard

Oddometer:
    I'm going to go the other way and say we should combine all LC8 engine sub-forums into one big sub-forum. Basically a 'Big KTM's' only area.
    twinrider likes this.
  3. Misery Goat

Misery Goat Positating the negative Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    We're going to split out the 790s into their own sub forum. Give us some time, it may not be right away.
  4. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    YAY! and Thanks!
    windblown101 likes this.
  5. Dewi

Dewi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Shouldn't the 790 be in the roadbike section?

All jokes aside, this area is really for bikes that are 3 generations old, not the latest models. I would have thought they would be at least sharing a section with the newer stuff.
  6. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    There are valid arguments for the separation or combining of information on makes and models however while early threads on the 790 appeared both here and in the Ridiculous Street Bikes forum it has been this forum where the 790 found traction based on user participation in the threads. I suspect that's because the 790 is the modern dirty cousin to these earlier bikes compared to the more street oriented BIG bikes. Simply a different subset of riders to a large degree.

Perhaps the mods will opt to pull Parallel Universe out from under GSpot umbrella and make a new brand agnostic "Parallel Twins Fight Club" forum and drop all the parallel twins into it... That would be bound to be entertaining, No? :)
    Dewi and zknezo like this.
  7. Dewi

Dewi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fair enough @windblown101 I'm just expressing an opinion for my own selfish needs as I follow and get alerts for this section, which up untill this parallel twin roadbike infestation, 99% of topics were relevant to my bike and interests, guess I'll just unfollow if they have to remain. Easy
    windblown101 likes this.
  8. windblown101

Oddometer:
    Don't get me wrong, you make a valid points. There are a lot of differences between this new bike and the 950/990 platform. I'm just saying that of the sub forums that existed when the 790 release got near we squatted here because we couldn't find a better place to BS about the new bike. :)
  9. Dewi

Dewi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No doubt I'll be back in a couple of years when I buy one ;)
  10. getonyourbikeandride

getonyourbikeandride Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We need to get the 790 stuff to a new home. They are very different bikes from a different era. There would seem to be enough interest in both that they should each have a place of their own. I have no interest in the new parallel twin and many of them have no use for the dinosaur LC8 platform. Scrolling through threads about a completely unrelated bike is pointless. How hard could it be to give them a section of there own?!
  11. JETalmage

JETalmage Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No, but you should. That's the whole problem with this entire forum. Look...

In any topic organizational scheme, there is a limited practical number of "drill down" steps. This entire site wastes whole organizational levels with silly, useless, one-liner phrases which provide nothing in the way of topic organization.

This is pandemic across the whole Bikes section. It's why, for any kind of bike, every thread is a random mix of what should be individual bike-specific topics. For example, it's impossible to follow a discussion on Bike X's suspension, because it has to be thrown in and mixed up with "discussions" about Bike X's engine, handlebars, transmission ratios, reliability issues, tires, luggage and everything else. This is all the fault of the "organizers" (using the word very loosely) of this whole website.

The situation is worst pertaining to KTM models. By what logic is KTM separated out from other brands? There are no stupidly-named separate sections for Yamaha, Honda, Kawasaki, etc., etc. But when it comes to KTM, there are two complete levels of potential drill-down organization utterly squandered away by what amount to nothing more than a couple of stupid comments.

It's real simple. The Bikes level itself should not be just "Bikes." That's idiotic. Everyone knows this is a motorcycle site. That single-word "Bikes" level should be a list of motorcycle genres: Large ADVs, Dualsports, Street-Legal Enduros, Scooters, Trials Bikes....

What is now the only user-defined level within the Bikes section should simply be predefined folders according to bike Brand_Model. That way, the user defined level would be where visitors create separate discussion threads pertaining to a particular bike of interest.

The core problem here is not going to be rectified by giving the 790 its own thread within the already-wasted two levels of potential organization within the stupidly named KTM "subforum" non-categories. You're going to be right back with the same problem as soon as KTM comes out with a different model based on its vertical twin engine. Or an electric bike. Or whatever else.

I've been saying this since the 790 was first anticipated, using it as a prime case-in-point, because it was obviously going to be a very important new model for which the existing disorganization of this site would provide no proper place. It's not a thumper, it's not a "Crazy Awesome...blah, blah, blah...950 or 990", it's not a "Ridiculous Street Bike..."

No, those, along with "Orange Crush" are just utterly stupid editorial comments from the site admins, which completely waste two whole levels of set-in-stone drill-down.

I don't know of a more poorly organized special interest forum website than this one.

JET
    Baldy and CaseyB like this.
  12. chippertheripper

chippertheripper motorcycle junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    Then start your own better one???

If you can’t find the information you need here, you’ve got bigger problems than the way this place displays it’s topics.
    Boatman likes this.
  13. Maoule

Maoule Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Seriously...? Maybe you could take this post and start Advrider improvements thread in the basement.
    What do you reckon if us oldschoolers start posting off-topic shit in the 790 threads, maybe the 790 boys will start bitching for a separate 790 thread?
  14. windblown101

Oddometer:
    CaseyB likes this.
  15. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    Go back towards the top of the page and read post #23 you guys.
    Boatman likes this.
  16. CaseyB

CaseyB Adventually Supporter

Oddometer:
    I ‘liked’ your post because I personally agree with most it.

Considering the amount of knowledge members have on this site, it’s one awesome asset. But a lot is lost in mega threads and whatnot.

Using myself as an example: I don’t know shit about nothing, so I come here to learn from others
    I end up adding ‘site:advrider.com’ to hone in on whatever topic I’m researching. So I end up getting there, but sub topics broken down would make it easier and more streamlined.

I do think w the 790, people have stepped up to attempt to separate topics.

The part I don’t necessarily agree w in your post is the tone of some of it.
    braaap! likes this.
  17. JETalmage

JETalmage Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's not just the 790, guys. Before the 790, the 1090--another very important model--also doesn't have an "appropriate" place in the two silly KTM "sections."

"Crazy Awesome..." specifies 950 and 990. "Ridiculous Streetbikes..." specifies 1190 and 1290.

What about the 390? What, that doesn't belong within the "Orange Crush" hierarchy? Why not? Because it's a single-cylinder and therefore belongs in "Thumpers"? Well, are no other "Thumpers" KTMs?

How do you logically answer the question, "Is your bike a KTM or is it a thumper?"

You don't. It's logical nonsense. It's like asking someone to choose a color or a sound or a taste from the same list. It's like asking, "Do you walk to work or bring your lunch?"

In reasonably structured interest forums, visitors do two things:
    • Initiate discussion threads under appropriate pre-established headings.
    • Make comments in those topics.
    That yields reasonably cohesive discussions that can be intelligibly followed.

But not in this forum.

Think of any common topic of discussion about any particular motorcycle. Take a well-known issue with, say, the Kawasaki KLR: the doohickey. If the site had any sensible structure, there would be a Kawasaki KLR subforum. In it, one would find a contributor-started thread about the doohickey issue. In it, contributors would post comments on that issue.

But no. Here, we go to an utterly useless global "Bikes" grab-bag subforum. There is nothing predefined more specific than that, other than a very few illogical-choice "clever" titles. So visitors have to create the missing subjects, thereby wasting the first of their two editable levels. So some well-intentioned soul creates a thread for "KLR" when that should have already been there as a fixed provided topic. Now, no one can start a discussion thread about the KLR, because all that's left is the level for individual comments.

So all comments in all discussions about a KLR get thrown into one ridiculously large single randomly mixed up grab-bag. All discussions are constantly interrupted by comments on entirely unrelated discussions. Trying to follow a particular discussion is pretty much impossible, because there is no possibility for the standard discussion/comment structure.

So the single "Everything about KLRs" thread grows to ridiculous proportions. Users tire of trying to weed through decades of mixed-up comments on all discussions about KLRs. Another well-meaning visitor creates another "Everything about KLRs" thread, and the cycle starts all over again.

You know as well as I do that has happened with, for just one other example, the 690. Some visitor had to create a 690 topic under the useless "Thumpers" section. It got absurdly out of hand, exactly as described above. So yet another well-meaning visitor comes along and starts a "New and Improved 690" topic. Of course that's a self-outdating title. So soon you've got two ridiculously large 690 topics, neither of which has the simple 2 levels needed in order to contain discussions about the 690, and the whole nonsense repeats again.

And that problem is repeated for all specific bike models.

JET
  18. Maoule

Maoule Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bet you could straighten it all out in a few hours....
  19. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:

The KTMs already have their own brand-specific forum, plus two sub-forums, including one for two models that haven't been made for years, and sold in small numbgers, the 950 and the 990. Now the Orange Koolaid crowd are baying for yet another sub-forum and it seems that they'll be granted their wish. What makes KTM so special that it not only gets its own forum, but several sub-forums? The obvious solution would be to have one sub forum for KTM adventure bikes, by removing the 950 and 990 archaic labels.

All the Japanese adv bikes are lumped into one forum with no model-specific sub-forums. When it comes to sheer numbers, surely this is the forum that deserves brand specific sub-forums, if not model-specific forums. The Africa Twin is the best selling adv bike of late and there are myriad threads dedicated to it. Surely this is worthy of a sub-forum before the KTM 790.... The Tenere 700 has just been released, it will also sell in big numbers, outselling the KTM790s probably. What about a sub-forum for it?

Surely at minimum there should be at least Honda/Yamaha/Suzuki/Kawasaki sub-forums.
  20. dsrtuckteezy

dsrtuckteezy BLEEDING ORANGE

Oddometer:
    I would say if you want to learn about a specific problem with a specific bike and not weed through any unrelated topic, you could join a specific forum. The forum is named "advrider" not " x model of bike" forum. So, the discretion is up to the owners on how they want to format it, and if you don't agree,

[​IMG]