790 Handlebar options

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by Defender90, May 10, 2020.

1. Defender90

Defender90 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here has been some discussions about the stock handle bar big sweep and what handlebar would be "better". I was wondering what's wrong with my wrists and probably I also would like less sweep.
    There are a myriad of handlebars, here some:

https://www.renthal.com/moto/handlebars
    https://www.protaper.com/category/5/handlebars

Would someone know what is the dimensions of the stock 790Adv 607 020 020 0033 handlebar?

It has been replaced with:
    - KTM EX-F, there are several options during the years, at least
    777 020 011 0030
    773 020 011 0017
    790 020 010 0030
    780 020 010 0030
    - KTM EXC, also several options...
    - 690 Enduro
    548 021 012 0017
    - ProTaper Evo Husqvarna stock bend
    Width 811, Height 80, Rise 39,5, Clamp area 192, Sweep 51, Control area 210
    - ProTaper Evo Factory Suzuki / KTM
    Width 800, Height 93, Rise 62, Clamp area 217, Sweep 47, Control are 180
    - ?
    Wizard and kzeb like this.
  2. kzeb

kzeb Been here quite some time

Oddometer:
    This information would be great to get in the FAQ so.... Bump :lurk
  3. [Art]

[Art] Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If someone can write a summary, with links to products and ideally pics of installs, I'll be happy to put this in the FAQ.
  4. Poweranger

Poweranger Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm not a fan of the stock bar sweep. Looking for a bar with the same flat height and rise but less sweep. Has anyone found the dimensions of the stock bar or properly measured it for comparison.?
  5. Orfeas

Orfeas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Strangely the EU 790 Adv R handlebar has a different part number: 6070200100033

If anyone can provide the stock measurements i would be more than thankful!
  6. GraZer76

GraZer76 n00b

Oddometer:
    Have just been through the process of gathering information on a number of stock KTM bends to decide what to change to, as I too wanted less sweep with similar height.
    Below is the chart I put together. The current SX/XC handlebars (7900200100030) are the best match and have a set on order, which should arrive in the next day or two.
    The SX/XC handlebars also appear to have a nice large control area (~210 / 220mm). So getting everything mounted should not be a problem.
    The dimensions for the 450 Rally and the 790 Adv handlebars I measured myself, so they may be slightly out.

All dimensions are in millimeters
    A = Height
    B = Width
    C = Sweep
    Handlebar Dimension Reference.png
    Handlebar Dimensions.png

Position of end of handlebar when rotated back at fork angle (63.7)
    Handlebar Positions.png
  7. kubcat

kubcat Riding is Eudaemonic Supporter

Oddometer:
    I know that small changes in the handlebar can make big changes in comfort, but how do you know what changes in the geometry you should make? Last weekend I had a backpack and a saddlebag, so I kept creeping forward, and I developed a pain in my right elbow from being too close. It would lessen if I consciously moved backwards. SUnday I packed so that my backpack was strapped down and not on my back so I was less cramped in the cockpit area, and it helped. I think the sweep angle and height are contributing factors. I know its still a little short when I stand, with the TCM mount and Scotts damper, so I'm thinking a higher rise, but what about sweep?

If I work on the "screwdriver" throttle technique, then the sweep is OK, maybe needs a bit more, but if a "relaxed and ready" position with elbows up, then it seems it could be better with less.

Someone suggested just trying out the other bar I have - a stock 2014 350 exc bar, but relocating the OEM heated handgrips seems like it would be problematic for that approach. What to do, what to do?
  8. Equalo

Equalo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @GraZer76: Looking forward to your review of the sx/xc handlebars. I'm also looking for a different handlebar with just less sweep, been riding the bike for a year now and every time i do longer distances my pinky fingers start tingeling. Not sure if it's because of the handlebar or something is wrong with my hands, i have really wide shoulders and big hands and it feels as if the handlebar is constantly pushing into that side of my hands. After a while that side of my hand goes completely numb because of the pressure and vibrations.
  9. mediumdiesel

mediumdiesel n00b

Oddometer:
    I just bought a pro taper evo husqvarna bend. I haven’t mounted them yet. I use them on my 350 xcf and really like them. The extra width of the control area is nice when I have lights, my enduro computer and a roll chart. It’s a lower bar with a fairly straight bend.
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  10. Poweranger

Poweranger Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting up the dimensions of the stock bars.

I just swapped mine out for a Renthal 827 I had laying around. Hopefully it helps the pain I am getting between my shoulder blades that I think is caused from the sweep of the stock bar.
  11. Orfeas

Orfeas Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Many thanks for posting your findings!

To my understanding (and relatively short experience), more sweep = more comfortable riding when sitting, and less sweep = more comfortable riding when standing. Ideally you want the perfect balance between those too (at least if you are commuting AND going offroad 50-50.

I was using my Fasst Flexx 12' Enduro High bars (had these from the 690 era) on the 790 for 2000km and I couldn't help but notice that they are too narrow and hence too uncomfortable for daily driving. But off-road I really liked their sweep. Today I went to the Renthal importer here in Greece and bought the REN-604-01-OR bars. These have also less sweep than stock, they are almost same length (just a bit more narrow) and same height (I like this since I have the BRP sub mount which already rises the bars). I think these are a perfect match for someone looking a more off-road sweep while keeping the same height and comfort.

Here are some numbers (790 specs are the ones posted by @GraZer76 )

Screenshot 2020-06-23 at 9.59.35 PM.png

And some photos:
    IMG_1947.jpg IMG_1944.jpg IMG_1939.jpg IMG_1948.jpg IMG_1949.jpg IMG_1951.jpg

For some reason the Flexx bars seem like they have less sweep than the Renthal but on specs are the same. Not sure if Flexx has mistyped the sweep value. Anyway! First ride in town and I really like them so far.

Not trying to be a smart@ss but are you sure this is not due to bad riding posture? I recently went to a off-road clinic seminar (private) and I realised I have been driving wrong for many years. One of the main principals is that you should never put any weight to the handlebars when standing. Dont get me wrong, I have to idea of your riding background but its the first thing that came to my mind. My arms stopped hurting after riding when I fixed my riding technique.
  12. kubcat

kubcat Riding is Eudaemonic Supporter

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know if the OEM heated grips are easily removable and reusable if I switch handlebars? Is it a hassle to swap them around?
  13. Orfeas

Orfeas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Very easy! You untighten a Torx screw and they slide out. The whole handlebar-switch process is really easy and can be done within 1 hour tops.
    kubcat likes this.
  14. CaseyB

CaseyB Adventually Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    this photo is helping me make sense of why I felt better riding by rotating my bars forward. I was trying to creat the middle bars without knowing it. Thanks for posting it
  15. GraZer76

GraZer76 n00b

Oddometer:
    @Orfeas The Renthal and Fasst Flexx bars are measured relative to the center axel, while the KTM bars are measured from and to the outer edge of the bars.
    This is the reason I included the diagram in my post.

Have added the Renthal 604 and Fasst Flexx bars to my original table with the dimensions adjusted for the KTM measuring system

Handlebar Dimensions 2.png
    kzeb, Orfeas and brunosac like this.
  16. Equalo

Equalo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @Orfeas: No offence taken :), i actually don't have that issue when standing up but thx for the tip, i do have the feeling though that the bars are on the low side for that, i'm 1m87 and still have the stock bar/without risers and footpegs. I have the issue on longer rides when i'm sitting down after 45min-1hr the sides of my hands go numb it also feels a bit as a pressure point, i wonder if a different handlebar would help. That Renthal bar looks nice, might give it a try.
    It's off topic but which spoiler are you using on your windshield and are you happy with it? Posted up on the other thread, i'm looking for one to travel with the misses that just clips on and works decent. Using an Arai tour x4 and with the windshield in high position the air just hits the peak of my helmet and gives horrible buffeting, looking to fix that.
    Orfeas likes this.
  17. Orfeas

Orfeas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are you sure you haven’t misplaced the width values between the Renthal & Fasst? Because the Fasst bars are narrower in real life, see my photos^

I also use Tour-X4 and have height 1.82. This little deflector (made by givi I think) is making things better let’s say 30%. I consider it a patch rather than a fix.
  18. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is what I installed this season. The geometry is nice, but requires a bit of relearning for the neck when standing. (a bit more neck extension is needed)
  19. Billyj7175

Billyj7175 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I blame it on a lifetime on mountain bikes, I like a narrow bar with very little sweep. I've put KTM bend bars on the last 4 off road bikes I had. Good stuff for sure.
    For me, standing with the stock bars feels awkward. The height is good, but waaaay too much sweep.
    With less sweep, how close are your handguards to the front fairing/tft/headlight at full lock? Are your bar mounts still in the center position? Stock mounts or risers?
    I have the Cycra Probends and IIRC, there's not much of a gap at full lock (stock bars & center mount position). I just want to do some research before I start ordering parts.
  20. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist Supporter

Oddometer:
    I may have to double check but I think I have my bars in the aft-most position. I have the Highway Dirt Bike hand guards, and they clear by enough that it's not an issue. Here is a shot of the cockpit while riding.

790 Summer 2020..no windscreen or spoilers.jpeg
    floalex and Billyj7175 like this.