790 Handlebar options

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by Defender90, May 10, 2020.

1. 06Z

06Z Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    KTM is off a 2019 350 SXF
    Husqvarna is off a 2020 FC 450
    The last KTM ADV is a 2019 790 R

IMG_20200605_160634~2.jpg IMG_20200605_160705~4.jpg

I installed the Husqvarna bars.
    CaseyB, kzeb, windblown101 and 4 others like this.
  2. Billyj7175

Billyj7175 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank ya! I picked up my bike from the brake recall today and I have more of a gap between the bars and headlight assy than I remembered. I measured it and it's 1-3/8" so I should be good.
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  3. FastDave

FastDave Vulnerant omnia, ultima necat

Oddometer:
    Switched my handlebars to the Protaper evo damper low bars, and they are awesome. They naturally put you in a solid attack position and feel great when the terrain gets squirrely.
    62AEE13D-2FF5-43D5-8CDD-3FA72F4ABB3A.jpeg
  4. Billyj7175

Oddometer:
    Nice setup for sure.

I see those bars have the control area listed as 195mm and it looks like anything less might be a nogo.

Pro Taper lists the EVO bars as 4mm thick on the tubing wall. Does that extend all the way to the end? My question is, any issues with mounting regular handguard end mounts?
  5. FastDave

Oddometer:
    Thanks, probably one of the best choices I’ve made since buying the bike. It’s impressive how handlebars can instill confidence and affect handling when you need it the most. I guess when you have very limited contact points between you and the bike when things get aggressive, you should make sure those points work best for you.

I found this review on RMATV and its what solidified my decision after being on the fence for awhile.

“A word on KTM/Husky handlebars for sub-mount steering dampers
    The 3 bars you'll be interested in for sub-mount steering dampers is Carmichael, Husqvarna and Steering Damper Low. I did not like the Carmichael bend because it had too much sweep and was tipped too far back when in position on the bike and overall just did not feel right. The Husqvarna and SDL bars felt very similar when in position on the bike, and both very similar to the OEM KTM bars on my bike but 1" lower to account for the sub-mount damper. The Husqvarna bars felt just the slightest bit taller (actually 1.5 mm) and had just the slightest (almost not measurable) additional sweep. It also had the longest controls areas (even AFTER I cut 15 mm off each side) and therefore the shortest clamp area. I chose the Husqvarna bars because I thought they would better fit all of my controls (I add some additional stuff to my bars), and I don't need the longer clamp area because I run the BBR top clamps that my hand guards attach directly to, so I don't need clamping area for the inner hand guard clamp on my bars. IF YOU ARE PLANNING TO RUN CRM TYPE CYCRA hand guards, you should buy the Steering Damper Low bars so you will have room for the hand guard clamps in the clamping area.“
  6. Billyj7175

Oddometer:
    Another ProTaper Evo Husqvarna bend install here. I'm loving the lack of sweep for sure. They do have a lower rise than the stock 790 bar, so I went with some of the KTM 47mm handlebar riser mounts. IIRC, the 47mm risers are 15mm taller than the stock risers. This puts the Husky bar back close to the stock bar's height. Installing the bars took less than an hour...but then I spent the next 2 hrs of typical/expected trial and error getting the handguards to fit properly.
    Overall, I'm quite pleased. Gonna hit the dirt in the early am tomorrow to test them out.

Husky Handlebar.jpg
    EvilSteve, CaseyB, FastDave and 2 others like this.
  7. alonad

alonad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    what ram ball you put on the risers?
  8. FastDave

Oddometer:
    TrailTrauma and alonad like this.
  9. DZL850

DZL850 DZL850 Supporter

Oddometer:
    BRP sub mount with the Scotts damper. Went to the ProTaper Evo low bar. Like it better on and off-road, especially standing up.
    TrailTrauma and CaseyB like this.
  10. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    This bar off of a late model Husky FE turned out to be perfect for me. Less sweep than stock, but otherwise fairly close. I am also running a TCM Scott’s submount Kit.
    0AA3973D-52A5-4D16-904B-EA4B800F5413.jpeg
  11. EvilSteve

EvilSteve Not so evil, not so Steve. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking about a different handle bar as well but I have no idea how to work out which to buy? Is there some magic formula that people use to figure it out or is it just trial and error?
  12. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    I had four or five take-off bars lying around and I compared them to the stock ones and picked the ones that were closest to stock, but with less sweep.
    EvilSteve likes this.
  13. EvilSteve

EvilSteve Not so evil, not so Steve. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you. So, same height but less sweep. How would I know how much sweep I could have without hitting the front of the bike?
  14. Billyj7175

Oddometer:
    You can take the measurements of the stock bar (post #6, thanks to GraZer) and compare that to the measurements on either ProTaper's or Renthal's websites. His chart shows a good relation on how those bars compare to the stock bar, so you can choose where you'd prefer your hands to be.

I chose a different bar simply because I prefer less "sweep" (the angle of your hands) while standing. It just put my wrists at a weird angle when I stood up.

Make sure you choose an oversized (1-1/8") diameter bar.
    EvilSteve likes this.
  15. Billyj7175

Oddometer:
    I run the ProTaper Evo Husky bend with 51mm of sweep, with Cycra CRM Probend handguards, KTM tall risers in the middle position and I have exactly 5/8" of clearance at full lock between the handguard and windscreen.

***EDIT***

Also, see post #23, those bars only have 195mm of control area. Anything less than that you might run into issues having enough room to mount the controls.
    EvilSteve likes this.
  16. Oh No!

Oh No! Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know if you need to drill a hole in the aftermarket bars in order to accommodate the factory set screw in the handgrip, or does the set screw just tight down onto the bar without drilling?
  17. 990s

990s Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is there no one who makes carbon fiber handlebars ?( I cant find anyone)
    It's not so much about weight, but they can be made so that they flex a little, thus reducing hard blows and vibrations and are less tiring for the body.
    The mountain bike industry has been making them for 10-15 years and they are completely superior to aluminum handlebars IMHO.
  18. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I wonder how well they would hold up to hitting the ground with the weight of an ADV bike driving them into the rocks. Perhaps that's why no one is making them.
  19. ADV67

ADV67 Alsace rider

Oddometer:
    No need to drill holes. Factory handgrips are tight srewed on the bars without drilling.

[​IMG]
    nibby, CaseyB and Nowwhat like this.
  20. Oh No!

Oh No! Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you for this!^ I have an 890 Rally on order and I am ordering bars for it, so I do not have the ability to look at the set screws myself.