790 Handlebar options

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by Defender90, May 10, 2020.

1. Oh No!

Oh No! Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    While I am asking, if you install the KTM factory heated grips and you want to hardwire a GPS for power to the switched power in the headlight harness, what is the recommended approach? I assume you cannot run the power for both the grips and the GPS to the same power source in the headlight. I suppose you could run the grips to the switched power and the GPS to the non-switched power connections, but is there another option that allows both to be on switched power?
  2. Thumper Dumper

Thumper Dumper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There is another set just like the ones in the headlight under the seat towards the tail piece.
  3. bikemoto

bikemoto Tyre critic

Oddometer:
    I don't know about the PP heated grips, but the heated seats draw power from the switched ACC in the rear wired with effectively piggy-back connectors so that the ACC is still available.

And if they weren't wired this way, you can buy y-connectors for DIY. You still have to watch the 10 A total current draw though.
  4. MN rider

MN rider Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I ordered the Renthal 827-01. Curious to see how it matches up to the stock bar.
  5. Dan D.

Dan D. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Got my husky bend today... I think I'll like the difference.

PXL_20201231_173304943.jpg
    Billyj7175, TrailTrauma and MN rider like this.
  6. Dan D.

Dan D. Long timer

Oddometer:
  7. MN rider

Oddometer:
    That's the other bar I was looking at, is it a noticeable difference in height?
  8. Dan D.

Dan D. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not noticeably...

Haven't ridden it yet, still got the whole thing tore apart. I should be done this weekend, and I'll let you know my opinion.

They're so cheap though, kind of worth just giving them a shot if you think they're what you're after. If you don't like it, just use it as a chin up bar in your garage. :p
    MN rider likes this.
  9. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist Supporter

Oddometer:

Looks great Dan. I think you'll respond well to the more enduro-esque feel the husky bend has compared to the OEM ADV bars with the huge sweep. My feeling is that the neck takes a bit more of the strain with the new position I find myself in. As @Nowwhat suggested this only requires more time in the saddle. You, yourself, may not even notice the difference.

*Hey, is it the angle of your photo or are you completely not type A? Are your new bars centred? :becca:D
    Nowwhat and EvilSteve like this.
  10. Dan D.

Dan D. Long timer

Oddometer:
    They weren't centered... Was still screwing with spacers on the pro bends, trying to get around hitting the display. They're squared up now.

Good eye btw...
    SoilSampleDave and TrailTrauma like this.
  11. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    I am using the Husky bend from a 2018 FE501S, so assuming it’s the same Husky bend you are using, I think you’ll like it. It was kind of an accident, but I have ended up with a neutral riding position that lets me stand effortlessly for as along as I’d like. But I can still lean forward and maintain a more aggressive position almost as easily. It’s really the first time ever I’ve been able to pull it off. I have 30mm lower footpegs (straight down, NOT to the rear), the Husky bars, and the triple clamp moto Scott’s sub mount, which raises the bars just a little bit. I actually was forced to move the bars back a little from where I thought I needed them, so the brake master cylinder would clear the TFT at full lock. I have the Aurora rally kit, so the TFT is not mounted where it was. Anyway, being forced to move it back a few mm suddenly made everything perfect. It’s mind boggling to me to think a few mm of movement in the opposite direction of where I thought I needed to go made a night vs day difference.
    TrailTrauma and Nowwhat like this.
  12. Dan D.

Dan D. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bars feel good. No complaints. Pulled them back to the center holes, no obstructions. Bike is clean, tires are new, rally next week... Life is good.

Happy New year brothers.

PXL_20210101_160101797-01.jpeg
    cwk, DCGH, Billyj7175 and 6 others like this.
  13. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    Getcha some.
    Dan D. likes this.
  14. TrailTrauma

Oddometer:

Sticker shock?! :photog

Happy new year!
    Dan D. likes this.
  15. Tigerkf

Tigerkf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Some of the numbers don't match up with Renthal's charts. You show the Renthal 827 to have a sweep of 77 but Renthal's website shows a sweep of 52. Your chart also shows factory 790 bars as having a sweep of 104, however the Renthal technical support rep I spoke with moments ago told me the 790 was closest to the Renthal 821 in sweep which has a sweep of 54. I'm not sure what the difference is maybe I'm comparing apples to oranges.
  16. MN rider

Oddometer:
    Stock bar vs Renthal 827 IMG_20210106_200826411~2.jpg
    Tigerkf, braaap! and windblown101 like this.
  17. kubcat

kubcat Riding is Eudaemonic Supporter

Oddometer:
    @MN rider is it the same rise, just a change in sweep angle?
  18. MN rider

Oddometer:
    It is not much of a discernible difference, but not lower than the stock bar. I should have taken a pic from the side aswell. It's a steeper bend past the tripleclamp area, but the control area is not as upswept as stock. Also, Renthal bead blasts the throttle tube area, unlike the protaper and stock bars which are smooth/polished.
  19. mootsmadness

mootsmadness Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good intel on the bars, I'll change soon to the Husky and see how they feel.

I'm curious about the Highway Dirt Bike hand guards and how well the mirrors work? Are they stable at speed or do they vibrate? Also, are the stops detented when extended out for the highway or do you have to adjust them every time after you fold them?

I am currently the Rotweiller Quick Flip Mounts with the CRG Arrows on the stock handguards. I like my mirrors on the bar ends and these work well, but I want to put on stronger handguards. After looking around it looks like the Barkbusters have the best shape to mount those mirrors but I like the way the HDB's protect the mirrors better.

Any and all thoughts are welcome!
  20. TrailTrauma

Oddometer:
    The HDB fold out mirrors work exceptionally well on my 790! Far better it seems then they ever worked on my 300. Perhaps it was how I installed the actually mirrors into the guards this time around. The mirrors stay completely solid, and do NOT move even a mm. The view behind me is perfect which again was a surprise because on my 300 I had trouble finding a good angle.

I moved them over because I love the HDB guards and was blown away with the results. In crashes the mirrors have just folded up out of harms way because the whole system has a certain degree of flex.
    kubcat likes this.