790 Handlebar options

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by Defender90, May 10, 2020.

1. mootsmadness

mootsmadness Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:

Thanks for the quick reply, much appreciated! I just ordered a set with mirrors, and am still trying to decide on the bars, I think it will break down to the either the Protaper Evo Damper Low or the Husky bend, waiting to hear more from this thread to decide.

Can you post a pic of how you mounted yours on the 790 please?

TX
  2. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not a problem .. what were you looking to see a photo of exactly? The bars? The mirrors? It's winter, and the bike is sort of shoe horned into a tight spot in the garage but I'll do my best.
  3. mootsmadness

Oddometer:
    TX, looking at the way you mounted them that you like better than on your 300, no rush by the way, it will take a bit of time to get them here. Do you have thoughts on the Evo Damper Low ( What does the "damper" mean?) vs /Husky bend?
  4. TrailTrauma

Oddometer:
    You'll be fine with the mirrors. I don't honestly think you need photos by the sound of it. The manner in which the mirrors pivot in place might have been the root cause of my 300 woes. **Or rather, the manner in which I installed/tightened that part. Since the bars I am running (EVO Husky) are likely the same width as my 300, and nothing else about the HDB set up changed when I moved it over to the 790, I suspect it was 90% installer error. But there are a few more factors between the bike, not the least of which would be rider position/bike geometry.

EDIT: If you have any issues after installing your HDB guards just post back in here, and I'll help any way I can.

EVO damper low may be referring to rider who are running a steering damper which sometimes raises the position of their bars, so in order to compensate back to the OEM bar position they chose the Damper Low bars.
  5. mootsmadness

Oddometer:
    thanks, I think you are right about the damper low, I'll order it not as well

TX
    Neal
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  6. JP4

JP4 Thumper Geek

Oddometer:
    Renthal 827 installed. Just enough handguard clearance. Knurled left side is a bonus for holding the heated grip. IMG_20210202_111230401_HDR.jpg
  7. Jan_Blade

Jan_Blade Adventurer

Oddometer:

Renthal measures from the center of the pipe, in the table here it is converted to the outer dimension
  8. WB11

WB11 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm planning on upgrading my handlebars from stock, and have been considering the carbon fiber composite bars from Twisted Engineering.

https://twistedengineering.com/product/1-1-8-te-composi-flex-handlebar/

Twisted Engineering.png

I have a pair on my Beta 390 and previously on a KTM 350 EXC-F and feel they've worked as advertised. No issues with cracks or breakage and it's been tested a few times. My one hesitation though has been the step up in the weight of the lighter weight dual sport bikes from @ 275# to the heavier 790 Adventure bike @ 416#, and if this would present too high a risk of breakage or failure.

There's an older thread on ADVrider discussing them:
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/twisted-engineerings-composi-flex-flexible-handlebar-review.1126622/, which has a couple good videos by B1 (a Carbon-based bipedal) that are enjoyable to watch in their own right due to rider skill exemplified.

I found another company here in California, Driven Racing, https://www.drivenracing.com/catalog/meteor-carbon/product/dcm-sbk1, that is making a carbon fiber/aluminum bar that is "more rigid than aluminum bars and stronger then carbon bars since they have an aluminum sleeve running thru the carbon outer layer." Although very light a 1.2 pounds I'm not looking for a stiffer handlebar at my age (57).

Driven.png

If I go with aluminum I'm favoring the ProTaper EVO Husqvarna bend as discussed. Here's a small comparison of the bars:

KTM 790 Handlebar specs.png

If anyone out there has experience with the composite bars of Twisted Engineering on the bigger bikes I'd appreciate the feedback.

Thanks
  9. MountainMan52

MountainMan52 n00b

Oddometer:
    check out Astra Offroad https://astra-offroad.com/
    Low rise low sweep. I like the chris Birch bar personally and also have the appollo 30mm which is very similar just a hair wider if I recall. Have them on my 300TPI and now my 890ADVR
  10. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    All I would say is rigid is the last thing you want. You want some flex for human bipedal comfort.
    Tigerkf and WB11 like this.
  11. TrailTrauma

Oddometer:
    My 2 cents worth is that in the end it's just a bar. Don't over think it too much. Everything can be tweaked after install, from the bars rotation to the thickness of your grips etc. Go aluminum, and get the general setup for your own ergonomic needs and adjust accordingly as you go.
  12. WB11

WB11 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The beauty of the Twisted Engineering bars is their ergonomics. Having a little flex in the handlebars takes the edge out of jarring unexpected hits and makes longer days offroad that much more comfortable. I’ve really liked them on my other bikes, and was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with them on the bigger bikes.
  13. Dan D.

Dan D. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Take that money you'd spend on those ridiculously overpriced bars and get your forks tuned by George. You'll thank me later.
    theDoktor and WB11 like this.
  14. theDoktor

theDoktor Husky Racer

Oddometer:
    I have a start a start on the other half of the fitment challenge (a spreadsheet on footpeg information/options: drops, rear-set, platform sizes, etc.) that may be useful. It obviously still has some holes in it- feel free to add your knowledge to it and let the rest of us know. Note that the metric dimensions are more accurate- imperial dimensions have been rounded-off.
    PM me and I will be happy to send the file to you.
  15. chrislitt

chrislitt Drinking the Orange Kool-Aid Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    When that 790 comes out of the corner, would you post a picture or two of how you have the HDB mirrors situated please, for your many admirers? It was a while ago that I tried my HDB mirrors and I ended up taking them off because I couldn't find a place that worked, but I suck at Rubik's cube so I'm missing an important talent you have. Pretty please? No rush. Thanks in advance. I'm kinda excited that the mirrors might work after all!

Many thanks to all the contributors here. I hate the stock bars while standing up and now I have some great ideas to work with. Much appreciated!
  16. TrailTrauma

Oddometer:
    I switched Macbooks, and now the old one (with all the 790 photos) is enjoying the ever expanding, bulge the case apart battery fiasco so yeah, it will have to wait till this monsoon ends and I can snap fresh photos. In the meantime, are you asking for photos of the mirrors out in the riding position?

Two notes:

*On my 300, for whatever reason, something conspired to prevent me enjoying the mirrors for 2 reasons - one, the vibes (which do NOT occur on the 790), and two, "I" had to move around to get the proper view behind, whereas on the 790 the simply 'work' and have from the moment I installed them. No adjusting them .. nadda. They just worked perfectly, which was a lovely surprise.

*Keep in mind, now that I'm reflecting on it (:rofl) that the mirrors might work within a certain pocket of rider geometry, where a rider with a certain torso length (and position on the seat) may jive with them, and a much shorter or taller rider may be in fits.
  17. WB11

WB11 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just watched a video from earlier this year posted on YouTube by Adventure Athlete, who has installed and talks about the HDB handguards and mirrors plus some of his other mods. Starts at the 6:35 mark.....

Untitled.png Untitled 2.png Untitled 3.png Untitled 4.png
  18. chrislitt

Oddometer:
    Wait, what? No backup? Sorry you lost your stuff. That sucks.

yes, in the riding position please. Great point on rider geometry. I’m 6’3” with a slouchy saddle position when sitting. Now I gotta find them and put em back on. Where the hell are they?
  19. TrailTrauma

Oddometer:
    Found a few cell photos of the mirrors in riding position from 2019. The position they've stayed in since day one of install. If I truly knew why they didn't seem ideal on the 300xc I could make a comment about what to look out for in terms of adjustment etc. I do not unfortunately. They just work on this bike, for myself. Not sure why yours will not unless your physical geometry is quite dissimilar from my own.

*Note: I don't think I lost anything. I have the SSHDD, but presently the laptop in positioned in the middle of the garage floor in case she bursts in a flaming turd. :D I'll get to transferring things some day.

20190922_142733.jpeg 20190922_150231.jpeg 20191026_164813.jpeg
    WB11 likes this.
  20. chrislitt

Oddometer:
    And maybe they will work with the new bars?
    TrailTrauma likes this.