790 Handlebar options

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by Defender90, May 10, 2020.

1. chrislitt

chrislitt Drinking the Orange Kool-Aid Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks, going to check it out.
  2. chrislitt

Oddometer:
    You are a scholar and a gentleman, thanks for the photos. Between those and WB11's post I'm oriented. Still don't know where I put them. That's a combo of having too much stuff and being a senior citizen. I'm on the hunt in the morning. Thanks again gentlemen.
    TrailTrauma and WB11 like this.
  3. David_Moen

David_Moen Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you can't get the mirrors in the right position, you can drill the hole the mounting bolt goes through a little to give yourself more adjustment.

I got to try mine out yesterday, cockpit turbulence is definitely reduced in comparison to the stockers.
  4. chrislitt

Oddometer:

That makes sense. I was thinking one can also rotate the guards relative to the handlebars a skosh to improve the angle.

I went out to the shop in my skivvies this morning in search of the mirrors- before coffee. Found them in a box nicely marked HWDB, go figure. I also found the barrel and piston to my 350EXC replaced last summer when I took it swimming and I found the stock clutch in the Rekluse box for the 2017 500EXC I sold a while back. That is just a partial list BTW. Sheesh. The only comfort I have is in viewing some of the pictures and videos that others kindly post. We seem to be a society of stuff. Guilty.
  5. chrislitt

Oddometer:
    GraZer76, that chart is just too much! Awesome! I ordered the EXC bars because I need the height. Looking forward to seeing how this works.
  6. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist Supporter

Oddometer:

Carlin, my man, is that you?? *always missed*

--

With the mirrors, based on your height I doubt we have similar geometry (torso-wise), so that may be the issue. Guys will know their (approx) inseam; perhaps a fellow 7/890 rider with your height and inseam has had good luck with the mirrors? Not sure.

But if they do need fiddling, you might also sit on the bike, rotate out the mirrors for a look-see and if they're pointed too low a few blasts from a heat gun, while rotating them gently upwards may help. I can't vouch for the drilling because of the half-spherical insert which will work to re-centre everything regardless. I'd have to look at it again, but I recall that was how it worked.

In the end things might remain fairly finite in terms of adjustment. When and if you do nail it, tighten down on the screw that binds the mirror to the aluminum stay. Tight enough that nothing ever moves, but loose enough that it will flip back into place, and hidden from sight. Otherwise you risk the mirror vib'ing away while you ride.
    chrislitt likes this.
  7. chrislitt

Oddometer:
    Are we talking George Carlin? You hafta type sloooowwwly.
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  8. TrailTrauma

Oddometer:
    "Stuff"

9. chrislitt

Oddometer:
    Funny! Yup, stuff. I think we become slaves to it, don’t we?
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  10. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Installing new guards and mirrors. If I choose to see behind me, the mirrors want to be somewhere they can't be unless I trim the plastics, which I might do, cos it looks better, but doesn't seem right. I don't see a way to adjust, but maybe I'm missing something. I mean, they just bolt on with mismatching hardware on the front(:loco:loco:loco). Maybe, I need to trim??
  11. TrailTrauma

Oddometer:
    Can you post a photo of the HDB guards from the side, from a few feet away. I'd like to compare the angle you have the horizontal portion of the aluminum stays mounted at. It may need to angle down down a bit more so when you flip out the mirrors they angle up that much more. But you didn't actually say - is your view towards the sky more or the ground.

Skyward view = angle guards up. Earthward view = angle guards down.

There are a few variable in adjusting. It likely won't take much to hone in on the perfect setup.

***If you have the big bolts setup, those beasts when tightening, will try and rotate the aluminum stay! You must prevent this by keeping a lot pressure opposing this rotation, either by yourself, or with a friend. You can even begin with the aluminum in a position which is not correct as the final placement, BUT while bolting it down tight they will rotate back into a good final position. (hope that makes sense. You'll either set then too low, or too high (depending on the side you're doing) so your final few cranks on the torque wrench drive them into the final placement, rather than starting in the final position only to have them rotate OUT of position.

These are how mine look. Not a great photo, but it gives you a sense of the aluminum angle etc.

HDB trimmed with mirrors.jpg
    levain likes this.
  12. levain

Oddometer:
    Yeah. I probably just need to fiddle with it more. Here's both sides. PXL_20210426_201813918.jpg PXL_20210426_201822974.jpg
  13. TrailTrauma

Oddometer:
    I would also sit on the bike (I just did this), and rotate the mirrors around a bit so you get a feel for how it mimics a ball and socket joint. IF you have it all tightened down too much it may not rotate as freely as you want for adjustment. It will flip out, but may not move to adjust. Pay special attn to the ball and socket portion. If it doesn't provide enough adjustment, then loosen the big bolt and rotate the aluminum stay up or down, and carefully re-tighten watching for it to try over rotating while tightening, and preventing this from happening. No sense having it all perfect, and then loosing that position by everything rotating out of your ideal spot when you wrench down on the big bolt.
  14. David_Moen

David_Moen Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    ...then drop the bike on a trail and knock the whole shooting match out of whack! You'll get the hang of adjusting things up in a hurry!
    chevmekanik likes this.
  15. levain

Oddometer:
    @TrailTrauma

@David_Moen got the mirrors in a good place but not happy how much I had to dip bars to get there. Check the angle at top clamp
    PXL_20210427_104805259.jpg PXL_20210427_104834487.jpg PXL_20210427_104853252.jpg
  16. flamingm0e

flamingm0e Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That looks perfect to me. Levers are protected like they should be.
  17. levain

Oddometer:
    That's cos I dropped them. I could get used to it but like them flatter.
  18. flamingm0e

Oddometer:
    Oh. I prefer it like you have it pictured.
  19. levain

Oddometer:
    Can you post a picture? Maybe I'm overthinking it. Wouldn't be the first time:loco
  20. flamingm0e

Oddometer:
    No I mean, I like my levers angled the way you have pictured and the guards are protecting the levers. What I am saying is that I don't see a problem with your setup. Are you saying you prefer your levers more horizontal?
    levain likes this.