1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

790 R Handguards info

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by Piersonjc, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Piersonjc

Piersonjc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm looking for handguards to replace the stock plastic ones. There are so many options out there, I'm looking for recommendations to narrow down the list. I'm assuming I need to start with size at 1-1/8", correct?

I'd like to pay under US$100. I want the metal bars and the plastic shields. I want good quality but don't want to overspend. I'm not a hard or fast rider but I do go off-road and will ride single track. If I dump the bike, I want the guards to hold up. I want to make sure they fit well with the 790 Adv R cables and controls.

Thanks for any guidance.
  2. onlybetx

onlybetx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cycra probends are my go to.
  3. Piersonjc

Piersonjc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Do I need to get a bike-specific set, or did you use universal? Did you have to buy any additional hardware to mount them?
  4. kubcat

kubcat Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    They're a bit more than $100 unless you don't get the plastic covers, but the gold standard is Barkbusters
  5. Piersonjc

Piersonjc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Trying to find them. Revzilla is sold out. Haven't found the bike-specific kit anywhere else online yet, but still searching. The big question I have is whether or not I can buy universal or if the 790 requires something different to make it fit. I hope to find the BB kit here soon, in stock somewhere. Also looking at Cycra on RMATVMC. If anyone has specifics on exactly what's needed, that would be helpful. I look at all the choices when I run a search and don't know what will fit.
  6. onlybetx

onlybetx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nope they’ll come with everything you need. Best part about them is you can get replacement end pieces so if your bike goes on it’s side it doesn’t scuff up the actual metal guard piece.
  7. gearheadE30

gearheadE30 @LC8Adventures

Oddometer:
    Cycra probends are good, though my current favorites come from Highway Dirt Bikes. They use a large 5/8-11 bolt to thread directly into the bars (you have to tap them) so you don't have to deal with a crappy expanding insert or threaded intermediate insert.
    flamingm0e, kubcat and TrailTrauma like this.
  8. Piersonjc

Piersonjc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looks like I'll try these:
    Cycra Probend Alloy Bar Pack Handguards Orange
    Cycra Handguard U-Clamps Orange 1 1/8" Renthal Fat Bars/Neken
    BobcatSig likes this.
  9. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    This!!

HDB Ultimate handguards are the ... Platinum Standard :)

Everything else just bends, or rotates in a drop. Get the HDB, with the big bolt - they come with the tap for threading your bar ends and god dam if they aren't the bomb. Everything else is comical imho.
    flamingm0e, SteveO and gearheadE30 like this.
  10. Piersonjc

Piersonjc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'll give 'em a look. Thank you!
  11. el Pete

el Pete toda su base

Oddometer:
    I don't like the HDB handguards based on looks alone. I've used Cycra Probends and Barkbusters for years and have never bent or otherwise destroyed either. Just fitting out my new 790 and I'm going with used Barkbusters (new plastics) and BRP mounts to keep the handlebars uncluttered.
    Venturer, comradecasey and Nowwhat like this.
  12. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    https://www.highwaydirtbikes.com/index.php?app=ecom&ns=prodshow&ref=HG-550

Choose the 90mm top plate, big bolts and whatever colour shields you want AND do yourself a favour and get 2 mirrors. They work incredibly well whether in the city traffic, or watching for your buddy coming up behind you in the woods. I love not having big clunky mirrors now, and the fact that I can just rotate these inwards and have them protected and out of sight entirely.

Only consideration is cost perhaps. This will all come in at double your budget. But worth every penny in my opinion.

*If as mentioned above the looks of the shields doesn't sit well with your sense of aesthetics then you can always trim down the shields to follow the curves of the dual aluminum braces. I did this a few weeks ago and love the love. Much tidier.

HDB shields trimming to alum curves.jpg
    flamingm0e, SteveO and gearheadE30 like this.
  13. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    HDB needs to up their game.....

That design is 5 years old and was a bit clunky when they came out...I bought a couple pairs but they have made no additional innovation or refinement...

I like supporting small vendors but they have to keep things moving forward....

The Cycra pro bends are a more refined product on almost every level...
    Venturer, BobcatSig and Migolito like this.
  14. gearheadE30

gearheadE30 @LC8Adventures

Oddometer:
    I actually don't care for the looks either, but (IMO at least) they look good when you cut the little tabs off of the plastic part so that the plastic just covers the metal. Slims them down a bit.

EDIT: @TrailTrauma 's picture didn't load right away. That's exactly what I'm talking about.

As far as I know, Moose, Cycra, EE, Acerbis, etc have also all been using the same designs too. They all just have different design features to pick and choose from. Now if only someone made one with the HDB big bolt, Cycra kick down shape, EE plastic shroud, and HDB top clamp mount, I'd be happy lol.
    flamingm0e and TrailTrauma like this.
  15. Piersonjc

Piersonjc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I watched the install video for HDB. It looked like a lot of work just to install handguards. The video guy said it took him 4 hours and he's likely somewhat of an expert. That's a little intimidating for a hack like me. They definitely look industrial though. Not gonna knock 'em. Just not likely to attempt a full day install. I tend to be really slow installing complicated stuff. Guys with the right skills might really dig 'em and enjoy the install process. The price was $85 higher than the Cycra too. $185 is a lot for handguards. I'll give Cycra a try first and see if I need more than they offer.
  16. Nowwhat

Oddometer:
    Cycra went to the Ultra Pro Bend from the regular pro bend.... extremely well built with attention to detail and weight.... and they offer air conditioning for free....hahahaha 20190914_115429.jpg
    1coolbanana and CaseyB like this.
  17. kubcat

kubcat Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    They are quite good, but they still bend. Ask me how I know:p3rry.
  18. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    C'mon boy .. same shitty, expansion end, same 'ol thing.
    el Pete likes this.
  19. Nowwhat

Oddometer:
    You shouldn't be worried about anything other than your suspension....fix that and you won't need 25lbs of hand guards....hahahaha.....

The expansion end is simple useful design....
    comradecasey likes this.
  20. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    Hey, if simple floats yer boat, have at it.

The HDB's are beefy, I'll give them that, but at 1/2 of 1 percent of my weight suited up, plus the bike that's moot at best.

Weight loss is going well, thanks. Best money I've never spent haha
    Nowwhat likes this.