790 R Handguards info

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by Piersonjc, Mar 19, 2020.

1. [Art]

[Art] Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  2. Piersonjc

Piersonjc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok, got them installed today. These are the Cycra Pro Bends with the 1-1/8" U-clamps. The only little thing during the install is that I had to pre-screw the end-bolt so the wedge widened before inserting into the bar-end. Otherwise, it wouldn't tighten. It needed some friction. It's too bad the orange alloy is so different from the orange plastic in color tone.
    KTM Handguards 3.jpg
    KTM Handguards 2.jpg
    ktm handguards 1.jpg
  3. Piersonjc

Piersonjc Adventurer

Oddometer:
  4. Gaulin

Gaulin Orange (& Blue) Crush

Oddometer:
    I like that look with the trimmed down handguards. Here's what I did on mine:

20200322_164621.jpg

20200322_164606.jpg

20200322_164548.jpg

Reused the stock handguards, which I think give the best appearance and cold weather protection from the wind. In summer two bolts and they're off. I plan to powder coat all of it matte black. Took some trimming, but fit pretty well. Drilled and tapped two M6 locations per guard to hold them on, really solid.
  5. jmarleau

jmarleau Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have had good success with Barkbusters. I have these on all my bikes.

790 Adventure Kit = BHG-152
    There is a 10mm spacer that they recommend to clear the front brake lever. I did not require this.

These have been great so far. They have the preferred expansion nut at the bar ends and a rotatable clamp proximal to the switch-gear and perch. This allows much needed dampened rotation in a crash and also cuts down on vibration and allows the bars to flex as they were designed. Barkbuster also has optional weights that you can use as well.
    Hornblower likes this.
  6. V1Vr

V1Vr just an average Joe

Oddometer:

Do you have mirrors for the HDB handguards? If so, do the OEM plastics interfere with them ?Looks like they might.
  7. Gaulin

Gaulin Orange (& Blue) Crush

Oddometer:
    No, I use the double take adventure mirrors. As the OEM guards wrap around the side, I suspect they'd interfere with HDB mirrors.
    V1Vr likes this.
  8. el Pete

el Pete toda su base

Oddometer:

Attached Files:

WB11, CaseyB, V1Vr and 3 others like this.
  9. Migolito

Migolito Prognosticator and MotoYogi

Oddometer:
    Ended up installing the HDB Ultimate(same type I have on the 500exc). Fit like a glove, zero modifications needed to the bike or guards-otherthan the normal install bar end tapping.. However, I'm planning on using Durakote on the aluminum. I'll post up how the Durakote works when I'm done.
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  10. kubcat

kubcat Riding is Eudaemonic Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have you used Durakote before? Specifically on plastics? I bought a can of rustoleum's version of it to see if the upper tank fairing would look good that way. I damaged the right side one ina low side last summer, so I thought I might as well see how it looks. Any thoughts or suggestions before I spray?
    Migolito likes this.
  11. BobcatSig

BobcatSig Fresh Off The Couch Racing

Oddometer:
    I managed to fit a set of Cycra Ultra Probends with a little fiddling. I like my levers just below level and slight inboard. This wasn't an issue for the clutch, but the brake required a bit more downward clocking so the backside of the lever, near the perch, as the lever was pressed, wouldn't hit the handguards.

It's all good now with proper sturdy protection.
  12. Migolito

Oddometer:
    i'm using it just on the aluminum.
  13. kubcat

Oddometer:
    oh yep - I mixed that up with duraliner. I have been thinking of using durakote on the muffler to go with my planned blacked out rat-rod style.
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  14. a.c.e.

a.c.e. U Mud, Bro?

Oddometer:
    What does this mean?
  15. Migolito

Oddometer:
    The way the HDB handguards install is by tapping the inside of the end of the handlebars. HDB supply's the tap with each set. I used a socket that fit the tap to install. The handguard then has a HUGE screw that passes through the end of the handguard and into the tapped section. Besides welding, just about as strong as it comes.
    BTW, I should add that the HDB have zero cable clearance issues and no need to bend the handguard to 'make it fit'.

https://www.highwaydirtbikes.com/index.php?app=cms&ns=display&ref=FAQ
    MN rider, a.c.e. and TrailTrauma like this.
  16. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist Supporter

Oddometer:
    I get slicker every time I tap bars for the HDB big bolts. This time around I taped a small plastic bag around the bar end so it hung down and then rolled back the top a few times so it would hold it's shape .. hanging down and just beyond the bar end like a feed bag, catching all the shaving. Takes 5 minutes to do each end. The aluminum cuts like butter.
    MN rider and Migolito like this.
  17. Migolito

Oddometer:
    Here's my single "complaint" about HDB. Make the Guardbars match the Top Clamp in color.
    BobcatSig and el Pete like this.
  18. beaudaddy

beaudaddy on the gravel

Oddometer:
    I’m a bark busters guy as well
    Anyone know when the correct kit will be available? You didn’t need the spacer ?!? I don’t want to buy some random kit and have the actual aluminum be too short for the controls.
    I’m sure between the fires down under and now the challenges of the virus are the issue.
  19. kubcat

Oddometer:
    Been out for quite a while. I bought mine in June 2019. No spacer no problem
  20. beaudaddy

beaudaddy on the gravel

Oddometer:
    Been out of stock all winter. All USA online suppliers. Emailed BB direct, never received a response