790 R Handguards info

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by Piersonjc, Mar 19, 2020.

1. chippertheripper

chippertheripper motorcycle junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just put a set of enduro engineering guards and flags on my 790. I don’t like the cycras (or any guards that drop coming out the bar ends) as they leave me feeling like my hands are vulnerable, as I generally ride with the hands of my heels all the way out against the ends. Anyways, I’m not really a fan of the EE guards on the 790 either. They fit, they function, but there’s little clearance to run my levers where I want them. I’ll live with them till they get trashed and/or I bend the bars in the process and have to replace the whole enchilada.
    Again, they work, they just leave a little to be desired.
    CaseyB likes this.
  2. MN rider

MN rider Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Do you have aftermarket bars installed in your pic with the hdb guards? Both my 1090 and 890 with stock bars bolt to the upper clamp mounting bracket directly in the space between the slot and the drilled hole in the hdb backbone. Where yours are at the most inward portion of the slot. I've emailed and sent messages to hdb to see if I could get either one without any holes so I could drill myself or how much shorter there backbones are in there dirtbike kits and order those. But they have never responded, and I can't find a phone number for them. Screenshot_20201227-132646~2.png
  3. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi, yeah those are the Pro Taper Husqvarna bend. I believe I had Paul at HDB send me along the ADV size aluminum pieces when I was running the OEM bars, BUT when I taped the new bars and went to install the HDB guards I discovered that the aluminum pieces were suddenly too short! So I had to revert back to the smaller bike size with the Pro Taper Husqvarna bars. I seem to recall that it may have been easier to install it when I bolted it up to the HDB top clamp, and 'then' forced the big bolt end to slide over into position over the freshly tapped bar ends. Then once the big bolt was torqued, going back and wrenching down the top clamp bolts. Doing it opposite to that seems to leave one scratching their head wondering why there is no aligning hole, or slot on the aluminum piece ready to align with your bolt. Far easier to anchor the centre, and then push the other end over on top of the bar end, versus trying to force the centre end over a hole. Too little leverage to do so.

Any other Q's fire away.
    MN rider likes this.
  4. Gaulin

Gaulin Orange (& Blue) Crush

Oddometer:
    Theres a 98.7% chance his response is in your spam folder. Something with his email that causes this.
  5. MN rider

MN rider Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I can't seem to find the factory handlebar measurements for the ktm stock bar part number 6070200100033. The protaper husky bend is shown in the pic. Screenshot_20201227-170708~2.png
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  6. TrailTrauma

Oddometer:
    WB11, brunosac, kzeb and 5 others like this.
  7. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
  8. Ninjafreak

Ninjafreak Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  9. theDoktor

theDoktor Husky Racer

Oddometer:
    I am getting a set of the KTM/Barkbuster handguards thrown in with the purchase of an 890 Adventure R and have a couple of questions about the handguards:
    1. Barkbuster has LED lights that are secured to the outside of several of their flag designs. I realize how vulnerable these are, particularly offroad, but they appear to be a lot less vulnerable than the OEM stalk turn signals, and probably a bunch cheaper too. Other than probably changing the plug with the KTM one, does anyone have any comments/input on these? https://barkbusters.net/products/accessories-spare-parts/4921-led-001/ Do these play nice with the KTM Canbus?
    2. Without reading thru the entire thread again, I recall that these handguards require some spacers to fit properly, as they are designed for the dirt bikes, not street bikes. What is required?

Given my history, I WILL lay the bike down, sooner rather than later! :lol3 This time I want to be a bit more proactive.
    windblown101 likes this.
  10. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Stout handguards are a must when dropping these heavy bikes for sure. Despite having broken quite a few things at one point or another my stock turn signals have escaped unscathed. If you want to change the turn signals to personalize the bike then go for it but the stock ones will likely survive for quite some time.
    relz and theDoktor like this.
  11. relz

relz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In my experience, I've dropped the bike many many times. Broken hand-guards, mirrors, all kinds of scratches and stuff. BUT the original turn signals have stayed in tact. I guess they are positioned in a non-vulnerable place. I don't see any reason to replace them.
    I've got the European model, with the (smaller?) led signals. Perhaps the US models, which I think still use incandescent bulb are a bit bulkier...
  12. bikemoto

bikemoto Tyre critic

Oddometer:
    Right side inboard comes with a 20 mm stand-off spacer and longer screw, to clear the front of the brake lever. At least, the official PP kit does. They supplied mine as a dirt bike kit plus the spacer/screw as a separate part.

Note that the clearance to the dashboard is minimal with the bars in the default central position. I'm going to cut my spacer down to 15 mm as there is excessive clearance to the lever. 12 might work, 10 looks to be a definite hit on the lever.
    theDoktor likes this.
  13. theDoktor

theDoktor Husky Racer

Oddometer:
    Great info- thanks!
  14. levain

levain STILL Jim Williams Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, that's a bummer. I was hoping to go with this setup. Does anyone know what handguards will for sure fit with Rottweilers mirror mounts? Seems like the setup I want. I'm not smart enough to start modifying stuff. Gotta work, with some fiddling, out of the box.
    Thanks
  15. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you get the proper set of Probends they work fine with a minor amount of fiddling (depending on ones definition of a little).

You'll have to adjust the bend slightly if using the stock bars due to the amount of sweep they have. You'll have to slide your brake and clutch perches towards the inside a bit to get clearance for the CRGs. You may want to at a small spacer on the ends of the bars. You have be fairly precise when drilling the holes for the mirror mounts. Oh, and the stock brake mc is a big awkward thing and the inboard side of the front brake lever actually rotates forward when the brake is applied and may bump into the back of the aluminum handguard which if it does may require grinding down the inboard side of the brake lever a bit. Oh, and if you want to run the black sliders you'll probably need to grind the inside of the plastic a little to clear the mirror mount bolts.

Ok, I guess there is a fair bit of fiddling involved.

Anyway, if you google "UPP1502010" that should pull up the right set that does not have the funky inside radius on the aluminum that adds another level of challenge getting the mirror mounts installed. :)
    levain likes this.
  16. Crashthings

Crashthings Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m interested in the new touratech defensa guards. Wonder if they’re worth the price. Wonder if you can use the Rott mirrors?
  17. levain

Oddometer:
    :permazot:hair
  18. levain

Oddometer:
    Who's got the mirrors on their HDB guards? I've had HDB on my 690 and have been happy. I've never had good mirrors on a motorcycle. Ever. That's why the Cycra/Rottweiler setup seems interesting, but not sure I want to jump through the hoops.

So, how are the HDB mirrors? Also, my HDB guards are ultimate, but I never used the top mount for mounting stuff. It's just there. Maybe, saving $20 on the next gen handguards?
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  19. TrailTrauma

Oddometer:
    HDB mirrors, are ultralight, sturdy, never vibe and stay in place. I love 'em. On my 300xc not so much, but for whatever reason, on my 790 they work perfectly without any need for fiddling.
  20. throttled

throttled derp

Oddometer:
    I just went with the KTM Powerparts, which I think are barkbuster, and they clear fine..

Screen Shot 2021-04-17 at 8.18.51 AM.png
    MeefZah likes this.