790 R OEM Toprack installation

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by SEK_Nick, Nov 4, 2019.

1. SEK_Nick

SEK_Nick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does anybody know of a video (I couldn't find one on youtube) or have some decent instructions on installing the PowerParts 60312978044 "baggage carrier" top rack on the 790R? The instructions it came with are worthless, and i dont see any holes lining up to bolt it down.
  2. Fabricator

Fabricator Hello Moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was in the same boat - go to post # 870 here... and get your wallet out... :D:D

It appears that that guy did not get the "distance pieces" (P/N 60312987010, shown here) that screw into the top case carrier, and that the M6x20 carrier plate mounting screws go into - mine had those.
  3. SEK_Nick

Oddometer:
    well, that's disappointing; considering the price at over $100 - each. That makes over $200 for the tail platform. KTM should also update their instructions to match, as there's no mention of the 790 in there.

Also very annoying that my dealer didn't say "Oh you need another part for that to work."
    LuisGui likes this.
  4. Fabricator

Fabricator Hello Moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    I share your concern - the Power Parts info for the carrier on the KTM webpage made no mention of it either.
    On the plus side, a 30-pack fits on it just fine! :beer
  5. [Art]

[Art] Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  6. LuisGui

LuisGui Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Same here... wanted to use the extended carrier plate (best for the dry bag), but dealer didn´t tell me I need a diferent rear carrier plate to fit the extended one! Now I´m wondering if drilling holes to the extended carrier plate or the OEM rear carrier plate...
  7. LuisGui

LuisGui Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think this is the spacer/bolt you are missing!
    bolt.jpg
  8. SEK_Nick

Oddometer:
    I think the metal extended carrier plate distributes the load across the tail section. I'm not sure the stock carrier plate is long enough to get the bolts at the back, or if it'll properly distribute the load. I'm not saying it won't, I'm saying it's a valid question to ask.

If I could go back and know I had to buy both pieces, I would probably buy the Perun plate; but I have to say that I do very much like the OEM solution, it's nicely wide and supports my dry bags very well; without being too wide. I am happy with the product, though disappointed in the price and my dealer not knowing the product well enough to tell me that I needed another component.
  9. DerWeg

DerWeg MacQyver Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here's a top rack that Back Roads Equipment (https://www.backroadequipment.com/) makes: Awesome fit and rock solid. Very easy install, plus using Pelican cases or Harbor Freight cases makes a great light weight solution. Here it is the catalog page: https://www.backroadequipment.com/p...-slider-rear-rack-with-top-box-quick-connect/

The one shown in the pictures is on my 790 Adventure R and is the same pictures on the website. I have used their racks on my KTM 990 and my BMW R1200GS and will attest to their quality and fit. You will be very happy with the ease of install and how secure the cases are on the rack. I had a Pelican case on the 990 and Touratech 25L top case on the R1200GS. Both extremely secure and lockable.

Attached Files:

10. slacker83

slacker83 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I ended up having a extra plate that came off of my 1190 so I only had to buy 1. So maybe you can find one on ebay off a 1190 or 1290.