790 Reported Clutch failures - My 12k mile examination

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by windblown101, Nov 10, 2019.

1. Toddv

Toddv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, definitely a lot to consider. The one thing that jumps out at me is the use of aluminum friction plates. I'm sure it's a weight saving measure but while steel gets hot and turns black/blue, aluminum gets soft and weak. I'm not sure that having steel friction plates would prevent the associated engine damage in those cases,b the amount of fibrous friction material may have just clogged things up starving the engine of oil? But IMO, it would prevent the plates breaking into pieces.

I'll be looking into slightly heavier springs as well or maybe shimming the ones that are in there a bit. With the Camel lever, over compressing the springs after shimming should be a non issue if adjusted properly.
  2. Yevhen Karel

Yevhen Karel n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi everyone! I am the one lucky guy with blown clutch and disassembled engine which is now undergoing rebuild... I see a post above that there were some changes in 2019 vs 2020 but I can’t see the pictures for some reason. Can someone help to understand what has been changed as now my dealer is ordering the parts at my expense and I definitely won’t get “wrong” parts... Thanks!
  3. gsuks

gsuks Long timer

Oddometer:
    sorry guys
    my post went wrong when trying to add pictures
    i wil try to fix it later

Pictures down below!!
  4. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    One thing I haven’t seen brought up here is gearing. I dropped a tooth on the front so I wouldn’t have to slip the clutch as much offroad. Seems like it would be a good idea for extending clutch life.
  5. gsuks

gsuks Long timer

Oddometer:
    ok pictures
    2019 vs 2020
    clutch no difference

Attached Files:

Yevhen Karel likes this.
  6. gsuks

gsuks Long timer

Oddometer:
    clutch cover
    2019 vs 2020
    no 1 and 2 have changed (cutch cover and gasket (form ring)
    2019 no 6 (3x) and 7 (1x) has become 6 (4x)

Attached Files:

Yevhen Karel likes this.
  7. gsuks

gsuks Long timer

Oddometer:
    transmission main shaft
    2019 vs 2020
    no 2 flange bearing has changed

Attached Files:

Yevhen Karel likes this.
  8. gsuks

gsuks Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am still waiting for the the 890 duke R to be available in the parts finder to see if the clutch has changed on that bike (there is a rumor that there has been a change in that department, read it some where can't remember where)
  9. kubcat

kubcat Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is that the leaky seal fix?
  10. gsuks

gsuks Long timer

Oddometer:
    haven't a clue
    just showing the changes
    Toddv likes this.
  11. NHktmRider

NHktmRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So it looks like longer bolts around the oil fill cap. So they changed the cover so the cap doesn’t interfere with the tank when you try to take it off and put it on maybe??

The gasket has a new section to wrap around one of the new longer bolts. Assuming pics are accurate .
    No-Fret likes this.
  12. bmgyver

bmgyver Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have any of the people with clutch problems installed bar risers or steering damper submounts without installing a longer clutch cable?
    Doing so could result in insufficient freeplay especially when the bars are turned.
  13. No-Fret

No-Fret Tanker

Oddometer:
    Good question.
  14. Yevhen Karel

Yevhen Karel n00b

Oddometer:
    I installed only original (KTM) bar rizers and handguards, bike didn’t have any aftermarket parts on it at all.
  15. Velociraptor

Velociraptor TrackBum Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have the BRP steering damper mount + the extra BRP bar risers and my clutch looked fine at 1800 miles.
  16. justinope

justinope Long timer

Oddometer:
    100% stock here
  17. Sfcootz

Sfcootz fap:hoon Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm at almost 10K miles. I'll have my mechie take her on an extended ride next time he services her. So far nothing feels funny. I've had clutches start slipping (I had a high mileage Ducati dry clutch). Otherwise I've never had clutch issues so I'll hope my good luck holds.

@justinope really sorry for your troubles with your bike. :(
    justinope likes this.
  18. justinope

justinope Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks man! I'm getting the pack replaced now at the dealer, gonna cost me like $500 when all is said and done but KTM gave me no other choice :( I will likely post it for sale when the repair is done and go another route though, just too jaded towards it now
  19. Zuber

Zuber Zoob Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm surprised no one has pointed a finger at the 'slipper clutch' feature. If you were riding on a street track or doing a lot of high rpm down shifting or closing the throttle at high rpm - then the clutch will slip. Any slip will add heat and wear.

There were a few premature clutch problems with the 690 motors. Nothing big, just clutches worn and slipping at about 10k miles. Same type of clutch with the slipper. I've wondered if that was related too.

Not pointing a finger, just asking.

Also, KTM and all other Mfgs. think of clutches just like tires, brakes, chains, etc. - they wear. So, they don't want to start a precedent and have to replace these things.

PPS - @justinope , you might ask your dealer what the parts warranty is on the new parts you just bought. (yes, that's a thing) Sometimes, it will be longer than the bike's remaining warranty.
    Toddv likes this.
  20. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    @Zuber Good point and while it hasn't been the focus of conversation it has been mentioned. I can see it as a possible contributing factor to heat build up. I replaced my Springs because they were under spec. I wasnt concerned about the forward lock-up because that's really handled by the ramps. I even looked to see if I could disable the slipper action by removing that side of the ramp but material removal on a highly stressed part struck me as a bad idea given the chance that it would lead to the basket or inner hub failing.

I like what Chris did using stronger springs combined with the longer actuator arm which sould reduce the slipper function. If I had a valve spring tester laying around I'd be tempted to look for some potential canidates. I considered adding washers but ruled that out.

If stiffer springs or eliminating the slipper function entirely made the system noticeably more robust and reduced heat build up I'd be happy to make a swap.
    Toddv likes this.