790 Reported Clutch failures - My 12k mile examination

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by windblown101, Nov 10, 2019.

1. Mud Bucket

Mud Bucket 60% of the time I'm right every time

Oddometer:
    Just an FYI on the Barnett springs compared with the OEM ones I had in the clutch.
    OEM in my clutch - 2 were 42.4 and one 42.5mm. The repair manual says to replace below 43mm.
    Barnett Springs measure 45.5mm. I want to compare the new OEM springs I ordered or like back ordered. They should be arriving in the next 2 weeks.
    I have only 7k km on the bike. My clutch didn't fail but was acting different and of course the heat marks weren't super severe but if I continued could have been worse.
    It would be interesting with anyone with issues with the clutch, what did their springs measured. And in turn with owners just having a periodical clutch check on a good clutch with higher mileage to measure and see what theirs are at.
    If its just a spring thing (Possible jet) as the clutch issue is pretty random with different experienced riders this thread could go by the wayside. There are thousands of bikes out there with riders having no issues.
  2. Toddv

Toddv Long timer

Oddometer:
    The sping length is semi important but the real important number is the pressure at installed hight which isn't so easy to measure.
  3. Mud Bucket

Mud Bucket 60% of the time I'm right every time

Oddometer:
    Agreed, but the easy measure would be the spring length as this would show the metal fatigue right away. Mine has only 7,000 km and is below spec. If a clutch has 20,000km with no issues and the springs measure above the minimum with OEM springs then I would assume nothing is wrong. Button it up and ride it like its stolen.
    From what the plates look like I believe they are not the issue.
  4. Dan D.

Dan D. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oy vey...

PXL_20201101_140046473-01.jpeg

PXL_20201101_135308427.jpg
  5. RB450

RB450 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dan D. likes this.
  6. Dan D.

Dan D. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It didn't take long either... Dumb ass mistake.

I can't understand how either... Other than blaming myself, I question if that Camel one finger clutch lever played any part. Probably should have removed that when I installed the rekluse. Live and learn I suppose.

High rpm slip is where I had the most trouble... When you run WOT, and see the rev limiter bouncing, it's assumed you're tire is slipping, not the clutch. I wish I could get this dialed in better, I really do enjoy having it. I can't afford shelling out $750/mo though.

*facepalm*
  7. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    SoilSampleDave and Dan D. like this.
  8. Riddler990

Riddler990 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    WOT is should be putting torque into the clutch, the clutch is designed to clamp down harder when under torque, if there isn't any freeplay at the clutch "arm" the cable will keep the clutch pack from compressing.
  9. Riddler990

Oddometer:
    uhhh..... I think it's the bar risers.
    Nowwhat likes this.
  10. Nowwhat

Oddometer:
    Before you give up on it. Call rekluse... they have incredible customer service. They might work with you...
    BHoward and Dan D. like this.
  11. Dan D.

Dan D. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Right... I get how it works, I suppose.

Problem is/was, and additional cable would result in the bike walking away to aggressively. I'll have to keep a closer eye on it if/when I go down that road again.

Put the stock clutch back in, and @Nowwhat is right, I need better clutch control. Lol, stalled the damn thing leaving my driveway. :D
  12. Riddler990

Oddometer:
    I run a hydraulic clutch and had issues like you stated, caught it quick and it came down to what i described above, even with the hydro clutch. I thought that the camel arm was supposed to lengthen the engagement zone?
  13. Dan D.

Dan D. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Correct, it does... As far as I know. Which might affect the rekluse operation??

Thinking out loud..
  14. Nowwhat

Oddometer:

My last rekluse was on a hydro clutch ktm ... it would let go at high rpm on steep hill climbs with a fresh knobby and low psi.... just not sure they hold like a stock clutch... 470lb bike plus a knobby plus sand.....?
    Dan D. likes this.
  15. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Personally I think the Camel arm using the furthest out hole is too much and makes it difficult to get enough throw at the clutch for good disengagement and may tempt people to run too little free play. I run the Camel one finger with the Rekluse Torqdrive clutch pack and I like it but I use the middle hole which seems like a good compromise between lever action, engagement zone, and total clutch throw. YMMV.

It's odd that your plates are so black but the frictions seem to look fine.
    Dan D. and Nowwhat like this.
  16. Thumper Dumper

Thumper Dumper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a Rekluse auto clutch with about 7000km on it and mine has no free play on the lever.
    Once you have set the installed gap you have to check the “free play gain” which is how much the lever moves when you rev the bike in neutral. I had the camel lever but couldn’t get it to work with the Rekluse so I took it off.
    If you had free play on the lever as per the bikes manual your clutch was most certainly slipping and quite frankly I’m surprised that the bike even moved. Checking free play gain before riding is essential.
    BHoward and Dan D. like this.
  17. Dan D.

Dan D. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Correct... Same situation for me. Free play gain is what I meant.

I'll remove the camel lever next time and mention it to rekluse.

Thanks for the reply.
    Thumper Dumper likes this.
  18. Dan D.

Dan D. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You guys weren't kidding... Rekluse customer service is above and beyond.

Full replacement, provided I remove the camel lever.

Was not expecting that... Very happy customer.
    Orfeas, roookie1, undingen and 4 others like this.
  19. TheGr8Pumpkin

TheGr8Pumpkin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow, impressive! Hats off to Rekluse. I will be looking to them for OEM replacement when that needs to happen.
  20. Nowwhat

Oddometer:
    I drink Lager or Malbec....
    roookie1, TheGr8Pumpkin and Dan D. like this.