790 Reported Clutch failures - My 12k mile examination

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by windblown101, Nov 10, 2019.

1. Dan D.

Dan D. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lol... Right on.
  2. Thumper Dumper

Thumper Dumper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Happy to hear you came right with Rekluse, I've only dealt with them via email regarding set up etc. and always found them very helpful.
    Did you enlarge the oil jet on your bike?
    I've gone 0.5mm on the jet and keep the oil level at the top of the sight glass and I must say it has improved the Rekluse's feel. It's still clunky when cold but smooth's out once at operating temp. Didn't really like the idea of the larger jet and extra oil but thought I may as well try it while the bike is still under warranty.
  3. Quercus petraea

Quercus petraea Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did you find the original jet cloged? If yes, do you think that was just metal residue or may loctite from the thread of the oil jet?
  4. Thumper Dumper

Oddometer:
    I didn't find any blockage of any kind. Only went bigger to try improve the performance of the Rekluse. Must say though that checking the jet is difficult because if you push something through the jet you will probably clear the blockage and will never know. Removing it is the best option but make sure that the screw driver blade is the correct size because it is very east to strip the head of the jet.
    Quercus petraea likes this.
  5. Quercus petraea

Oddometer:
    I already read the whole thread (yes, 48 pages).

So, can i asume that people that had problems and then switched to a 0.5mm jet haven't had problems again??

Another question: Why a 0.5mm jet and not a 0.4mm? Is not more logic to be cautious (even if the oil pressure meassurements says 0.5 is ok)??
  6. BHoward

BHoward Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Or another theory is, when a individual wrecks the the clutch, they fix or have it fixed then the individual is more aware of the clutch. Now the individual doesn't slip the clutch into oblivion, they realize the clutch is not indestructible so they take care to not wreck it again.
    The reason for the .5mm jet size and not .4mm or .6mm is the
    5mm was used on other KTM bikes as a "fix" for clutch issues, also the .5mm jet is readily available for purchase. However if you want a .4mm you can certainly drill your jet out. Many have done it in .5mm.
    No-Fret and kirill_k like this.
  7. Quercus petraea

Oddometer:
    Yes, I know about .5mm jet in other models, but I don't understand why CJdesigns make a specific KTM790 oil jet in 0.5 and no in 0.4mm.

Anyway, I'm not in the "it's always rider's fault" theory, when it's obvius that there's a problem here in certain numer of bikes.

Yes, you can blame always riders again and again, free speech here. But, honestly, beyond than "hey, people, don't abuse the clutch slipping" (wich all of us have read a thousand times here), I don't think reapiting that contributes anything to the research or to the achievement of a solution.

Sorry if I sound blunt, my English is not native and not good at all!
    BHoward likes this.
  8. BHoward

Oddometer:
    No need to apologize, your English is great, free speech. .
    I don't think CJ drills out the jets, I'm pretty sure they purchase them from the manufacturer.
    The manufacturer makes jets in 2 sizes, .3mm and .5mm.

And for the clutches, maybe some feel like there is not a defect in the bike. Mabey some feel like it is rider abuse and thats the problem.
    So working towards a solution would be for the riders to stop abusing the clutch.
  9. Quercus petraea

Oddometer:
    Even if that is the case, I think most people think the clutch is a little weak (may be not a engineering defect, but something than could be better).
    A least, it's way weaker than in other bikes people (including me) have own, have riden in same conditions, and have abused to the same extent.

Then, i'd like to find a way to improve the longevity of the clutch even if I want to abuse a little!
    kirill_k and BHoward like this.
  10. BHoward

Oddometer:
    IMO, I think your right. I think in order to save weight or some other reason KTM engineered the smallest clutch possible believing riders would use the MTC. I think this is the problem, the 790 being a ADV bike, not a motocross bike, some riders still slip the clutch and the engineers did not intend for this.
    Although, I install Rekluse clutches In all my bikes, my Rally was no exception. So I very rarely ever touch my clutch lever. I use the MTC for what is meant for. I set it appropriately and go.
    This last week I went up and down Lippincott pass in Death Valley twice. 1st gear, MTC rally set on 7 and throttle on offroad. No problem.
    I also have the .5mm jet installed.

So if you want a stronger clutch, maybe Rekluse is the way to go, they make a auto and a non-auto model for the 790.
    Quercus petraea likes this.
  11. roookie1

roookie1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Or try the new clutch pack from the 890 Adv, when available..
    Mud Bucket, No-Fret and BHoward like this.
  12. RB450

RB450 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Picking my machine up this weekend. All new clutch components. Interesting to note...the deep groove bearing part number has been updated, at least in the US.

I need to have some further conversations with my dealer and service manager on the details, but once again they and KTM took care of me and the bike under warranty, so Kudos to both.

It was noted that the failure was not caused by operator error or abuse...
    No-Fret likes this.
  13. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    It shouldn't have any free play at the lever; that's how the rekluse works on these cable operated clutches. You adjust all the free play out plus actually putting tension on the cable. I left my Camel arm on, but I moved the cable to the middle hole. When I had my brake line recall done, the service tech noticed that my clutch was "misadjusted" and dialed in the OEM freeplay. Of course, When I took off the clutch was slipping anytime I gave it more that grandma levels of throttle. Didn't take me long to figure it out and "misadjust" it back so it was working properly.
  14. Gaulin

Gaulin Orange (& Blue) Crush

Oddometer:
    Is the new bearing item 10 or 17 in the parts fiche ?

Screenshot_20201111-220148_Chrome.jpg
    kirill_k likes this.
  15. Thumper Dumper

Oddometer:
    Funny enough when I took mine in for the brake line recall the tech was shocked to see that I had no freeplay and thought I about to burn my clutch up until I explained about the Rekluse.
    Anytime I take my bike in I always explain that I have a Rekluse, on my 690 the tech almost put it through the window when he thought it was in neutral and gave it a rev.
    nibby likes this.
  16. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    That would have been fun to see - as long it wasn’t my 690! I did tell the service writer, who put it on the work order, which the tech saw. However, he was used to the typical KTM hydraulic clutch with a Rekluse and hadn’t seen the different instructions for this model.
    Thumper Dumper likes this.
  17. kirill_k

kirill_k n00b

Oddometer:
    Have briefly looked over the clutch microfiche at ktm.com and failed to find any difference in partnumbers between 790s of 2019 and 2020, no matter European or American. The only difference in 890's clutch seems to bee position 8, i.e., the disk pack.
    790_890_clutch_microfiche.jpg
  18. RB450

RB450 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    kirill_k likes this.
  19. RB450

RB450 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    96E197E2-DB95-43B8-A221-AFED79EDF6FC.png 96E197E2-DB95-43B8-A221-AFED79EDF6FC.png
    kirill_k likes this.
  20. RB450

RB450 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    680423FA-C43D-41DD-BE87-1E50D6798456.png
    kirill_k likes this.