790 Reported Clutch failures - My 12k mile examination

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by windblown101, Nov 10, 2019.

1. RB450

RB450 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It’s the same on KTMParts Pro as well. Went from 0625060017. To 0625060016. I don’t know if the part has changed, but the number has been superseded.
    Gaulin and kirill_k like this.
  2. Mud Bucket

Mud Bucket 60% of the time I'm right every time

Oddometer:
    I finally got the OEM clutch springs. They were back ordered and took over a month to get in. Barnett springs were here in less than a week from order.

My old OEM springs measured 42.4mm to 42.5mm (Red).
    New OEM spings measured 43.5mm to 43.6mm (New color of Blue)
    And the Barnett Springs are at 44.5mm (Green)
    Just food for thought for people if they are checking their clutch

[​IMG]
    kzeb, Toddv, No-Fret and 1 other person like this.
  3. Quercus petraea

Quercus petraea Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Interesting... they changed the spring color but not the part reference?
    Mud Bucket likes this.
  4. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    That’s good info. If I didn’t already have a Rekluse, I think I would replace my clutch springs with the new ones.
    Mud Bucket likes this.
  5. Dan D.

Dan D. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  6. Dodge_AxE

Dodge_AxE Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’m in no way as technical as you bunch... I just ride the damn things ;-) just a short update that might help someone in the troubleshooting stuff... when i got my bike in at the dealer for its 1000km service (600 miles i belief) the dealer “replaced the clutch springs preemtive due to experience with them”.

Dindt report any issues or what so ever, they said they rather do it now then have me break the clutch and come back at 5000km.

No clue with that they replaced them tbh, ill ask them tomorrow when i bring it back in for the front disk warping issue.

Hope that helps someone :) Regards!
    Mud Bucket likes this.
  7. RB450

RB450 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After picking bike up from dealer, and discussing further, it was determined there was insufficient oiling. My discs were dry and basket scorched.

New oil jet installed with balance of clutch components. Thanks again to them and KTM.

Proper oiling verified now. Should be dialed in now.

Not sure how many more miles she’ll see this year based on weather....soon time to pull the sled out!
    roookie1 likes this.
  8. SoilSampleDave

Oddometer:
    I think that’s really good info. If I hadn’t already gone Rekluse, I’d put new springs in. It takes almost no time at all.
    Mud Bucket likes this.
  9. Mud Bucket

Mud Bucket 60% of the time I'm right every time

Oddometer:
    I finally took the bike out with the new clutch, after market springs and drilled jet. Felt great, easy feathering. No problem finding neutral like earlier reports.
    I'll put on its first 1000km and take it apart to compare. Most likely wont be till spring, lol. Northern weather.
    No-Fret likes this.
  10. blokker

blokker KTM 790 adventure s 2020

Oddometer:
    I use the one finger clutch and after 1 hour gravel roads and steep hills it was like my clutch kabel extended in length.
    I was riding in second gear down hil
    I couldn't put it in gear and after put some more tension on the clutch kabel everthing is fine again.
    Is it the one finger clutch? Are you using the standard or the one finger clutch? I installed the ktm part back and will test it tommorow
  11. gsuks

gsuks Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did the 1 finger clutch lever not move on the clutch shaft?

I believe that can happen on the first batch,
    Because the tolerance is not tight enough.
    braaap! and windblown101 like this.
  12. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sounds like it could have slipped. Perhaps just not tightened down enough.
    braaap! likes this.
  13. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Maybe ping @Camel ADV for his recommended torque setting, as he'll know the Alloy temper and min & max thread engagement.
    Torque value for my Camel Lever Actuator... (M6) 14.0 +1.0 / - 0.0 Nm + Loctite 243 :)
  14. blokker

Oddometer:
    I think that was what happend, I didn't use the clutch that much because everything was in second gear.
    Did a testride this morning and everything feels fine.
    I think the trade off from the very light One Vinger Clutch is that the amount of travel from the clutch is getting smaller when the arm on the motorside gets longer ( that is why it is lighter).
    With a short clutch level the travel of the clutch is not very big anymore.
  15. Camel ADV

Camel ADV Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just to clarify, you rode the bike the other day and the clutch went out of adjustment but then you rode it today and it's OK? That doesn't sound like a slipping arm. If it's going to slip one day, it's likely to slip the next ride as well.

What color is the arm and how many adjustment holes are in it? If it's orange and has 3 holes, it's a Gen 1. If it's black (2 or 3 hole) or orange with 2 holes it's a Gen 2.
    Gen 1: The bore could be slightly oversize and perhaps it slipped a little bit.
    Gen 2: It's extremely unlikely that it slipped on the shaft due to an oversize mounting hole. If a Gen 2 arm slips on it's shaft, either the pinch bolt was under-torqued or the shaft was dirt or oily when the arm was installed.

If you have an over-bore Gen 1, let us know and we'll make arrangements to exchange it for a Gen 2. That's not just for Blokker, that offer is open to any of our customers.

Cory
    AdamM001 likes this.
  16. AdvRonski

AdvRonski They call me......Ronski

Oddometer:
    Cory, he said he put the stock actuator lever back on, and it’s been OK since.
  17. SoilSampleDave

Oddometer:
    The arm can’t slip back into place; he must have changed arms back or adjusted the cable. Only reason I say put the arm back is because it’s posted below. It just doesn’t say when it was.
  18. blokker

Oddometer:
    That is correct, on the track i notised that there was a lot of slack on the clutch cable and i couldn't change gears.
    Most of the time i use the quickshifter on gravel, so i notiched it only when i came to a full stop.
    I adjusted the cable on the stearing site and everything was fine again.
    I drove for 40 minutus on the track with no isues.
    I have the black arm and used the third hole.

Yesterday i changed back to the original arm and drove for 1,5 hour on the mountain roads and the clutch feels fine.

I think there are two things that could be happening:
    The arm moved a little on the piston because i didn't torqued it anough ( what is the amound of torque for the arm?)
    or
    Because i am over concerned about the free play in the cable i have a lot of free play and because of the long arm and short levels there is less movement in the clutch.
    When everything gets hot there is just a little more slack and the clutch is out of range.
    Does that make any sense??

I went out yesterday with the original arm and i notiched that the clutch pull was a lot lighter now i have 2000 km on the bike.
    On the original arm you feel very easy when where the free play ends and the clutch will start.
    On the One finger clutch ( when you use the third hole) the clutch is so light that for me it is more difficult to feel where you start to put pressure on the clutch.
    So, now i have to decide what arm to use.

Thanks for responding!
    roookie1 likes this.
  19. Camel ADV

Camel ADV Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Make sure the arm and clutch shaft are free of grease, oil, dirt etc before you install the arm. A Gen 2 arm (which you have) won't slip on the shaft if it's torqued properly. The torque should be 12Nm or 106 inch lbs or 9 ft lbs.

When the clutch gets hot, the freeplay is reduced, not increased.

Using the clutch on the 3rd hole is definitely the lightest pull but it has a softer engagement too. I run mine on the middle hole.
    No-Fret likes this.
  20. blokker

Oddometer:
    Thanks!