790 security alarm

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by ZiggyInNc, Nov 23, 2019.

1. ZiggyInNc

ZiggyInNc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone have one? The only reviews i could find just said it was an easy install.
  2. Matt P

Matt P Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have it.
    I used that magnificent site that a fellow inmate created to source what I needed.
    It is crazy simple to install and everything you need comes with the two kits. The harness to plug in is there on your bike now.
    Way easier then my heated grips or cruise control.

Simple function. With it armed just upright my bike and it goes off. Tiny remotes.

Do it, Do it.....
    ZiggyInNc likes this.
  3. [Art]

[Art] Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  4. ZiggyInNc

ZiggyInNc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine is getting installed by the dealer when I bring it in for the first service next week. They include free install on any accessories when purchased at the same time as the bike - they just had to order it as they don’t keep them in stock.
    Matt P likes this.
  5. Romo76

Romo76 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I ordered it with mine and when I saw how it’s mounted was a bit disappointed to see I’ll have to remove it every time I need to get to the air filter. Oh well only a few screws, no big deal.
    ZiggyInNc likes this.
  6. Orfeas

Orfeas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I will be installing the Pandora Smart Moto
    Alarm, had it on my 690 and it’s the best system out there imo. Lots of features and comes with a great app.
  7. SirWreckaLot

SirWreckaLot Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I found out that KTM actually source their alarms from DefcomT and mark them up. You can get the same exact alarm for much cheaper though the site below, or google, which is what I did. ***make sure you enter your model number in correctly, cause even though the hardware is universal, the software might not be***

Feels solid and comes with good mounting Velcro, if you also want to avoid dishing $50 for the mount. Install takes a whole 5 minutes and is plug and play. So far I like it. The instructions were kind of vague but better than any descriptions I could find online from any website to include KTM’s. Let me know if you guys want me to upload the 2 page manual.

https://www.abacuscaralarms.co.uk/alarmshop/ktm-defcomt-alarm.html

Notable features:
    -very sensitive tilt sensor/alarm
    -ignition kill option w/no alarm if you want
    -45 second grace period before alarm fully activates, just in case you forgot something in your panniers
    -As loud as a car alarm
    -seat switch
    -If you somehow pull the seat and tear the alarm out or cut the wires *with it armed* the ecu is dead until you plug it back in and disarm with the assigned remote(s).
    -remotes are nice and small, good for bikes!
    -programmable automatic alarm arming after X amount of time with ignition in off
    -did I mention easy install?
    -the $50 mount might be more solid but at this moment the Velcro is working out, and I do more off road than on. We’ll see over time. So far so good. Worse case scenario I buy one later
    -$180ish USD if you get the DefcomT instead of ktm’s alarm aka a DefcomT... see what I’m getting at
  8. SirWreckaLot

Oddometer:
    Another reason why I opted for Velcro... for now... lol

It’s actually that interlocking plastic stuff that’s like Velcro but stronger, if that makes sense.
  9. blackSP

blackSP Love the Pussy Wagon

Oddometer:
    Shamelessly quadruple the price without having to do anything. What a rip off!!!!!
    SirWreckaLot likes this.
  10. comradecasey

comradecasey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Welcome to capitalism :D
  11. SirWreckaLot

Oddometer:
    Yep, love it! :jkam
    blackSP and comradecasey like this.
  12. [Art]

[Art] Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's been in the FAQ for ages. As someone who installed this alarm, and use it, if you see things to correct in the FAQ please let me know: I don't have an alarm and all the info there was sourced from other people.
  13. SirWreckaLot

Oddometer:
    Oh is that your site? It’s been extremely helpful! The additional info/features that I mentioned earlier may help. I was kind of in the dark as far as what features I was getting with the alarm. The one inaccuracy I noticed is that you don’t actually need the mount. The seat and bike both come with a dedicated spot with predrilled holes for the seat switch and using velcro to mount it saves you time and work when it comes to changing out the air filter, as the mount gets in the way and would have to be removed.
  14. [Art]

[Art] Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ah, but in the literature the seat switch is always pictured with the mount, and never with the alarm. If it is included with the alarm that's good. What is it composed of? A magnetic switch and a magnet? Or a push switch and a metallic plate on the seat?
  15. SirWreckaLot

Oddometer:
    Yeah the literature is off, there are dedicated mounting points for it. It’s a magnetic switch. It’s in the bottom right of the attached photos. Might eventually go with the mount but for now I prefer it velcro’d on the cover of my air filter so I don’t have to go through the hassle of removing the mount to access the filter. We’ll see how it holds up without it, still might just make a mount that attaches to the cover cause why pay $50 for a piece of sheet metal that gets in the way of routine maintenance.

DFB0A4E7-4CBD-4AC0-A02F-F0FFC8BAE5A6.jpeg
    B0673418-8E91-47E1-932D-F1E76968D267.jpeg

Note the preexisting angled support section under the sensor. It even had predrilled holes for it. Should be careful because the sensor is made of a composite material and easy to over tighten the screws and crack the assembly.
    03F7F280-0882-4018-92CE-13D643F12E80.jpeg

CD4C8CA1-626E-4E83-A17E-59662F45A85A.jpeg

C4446899-1D26-44D2-8936-17495343FB94.jpeg
    undingen likes this.
  16. gsuks

gsuks Long timer

Oddometer:
  17. SirWreckaLot

Oddometer:
    I don’t know. I selected the specific one for the 790 Adventure and the price went up to 180 USD. Figured I should error on the side of caution just in case the firmware is different. Since it’s a new bike I couldn’t find anything or anyone that had the info. You could be that hero though and give it try for everyone then let us know if it works or not! Haha
  18. gsuks

gsuks Long timer

Oddometer:
    on the 790 adv.net
    they mention the link I posted
    it seems there is already experience with that alarm.

https://790adventure.net/security/alarm-system/
  19. SirWreckaLot

Oddometer:
    Yeah the guy who runs that site is in this conversation, if you read up a few posts.
  20. SirWreckaLot

Oddometer:
    The alarm works! Glad I didn’t wait to get it. Just got home from work and somebody decided to pull the cover off to admire her. Unfortunately, I don’t have a garage or options for such. Getting the brake lock after this as well. Will be checking with the neighbors to see if anyone saw anything.
    8EC6790B-102D-4304-AE59-80F1A3465F49.jpeg