790 security alarm

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by ZiggyInNc, Nov 23, 2019.

1. Orfeas

Orfeas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I cant believe people are installing a cheap alarm in a 15-20K $ bike! I bought a Pandora Smart alarm for my 690 a few years ago and now transferred it to the 790. Its probably the best alarm you can buy and it "only" cost 500$, a small price for what you get.. real time GPS monitoring. backup battery, bluetooth connectivity, anti JAM protection, remote engine kill, anti jacking using smart bluetooth tags and so many others. Did i mention the waterproof body? Its actually being installed in ATVs/PWCs & boats, so its designed to last.
  2. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Might have to do with where one lives and rides. Never had a bike stolen (knock on wood) and this is the first alarm system I've installed on any motorcycle over the last 40 years. I ONLY bought it because it was inexpensive and plug and play. It it fails to deter a thief and the bike gets nicked that will be a headache I'll pass onto my insurance agent.
  3. Orfeas

Orfeas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes you can always play the insurance card, but in my country insurance will only pay a 70% of the bike value, not to mention the extra farkles.
  4. Orfeas

Orfeas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If believing in a product makes you a “salesman” then I am also a KTM salesman and a lot of other things I guess. For the record, the tags do work as an extra immobilizer, not stupid at all. You didn’t comment on backup battery built in in the unit, so I am guessing you don’t expect the bad guys to pull out your seat and start cutting things. If your insurance buy you a new bike why did you install the factory alarm anyway?

PS: You can stop being smart*** now, not trying to sell anything. I am a film director for Christ sakes.
  5. ShaftEd

ShaftEd Long timer

Oddometer:
    The KTM Meta Defcom T alarm does have battery backup. If the thieves manage to disconnect the power without having the motion alarm go off, it will go off when the power is cut or if you cut the cable to the alarm. Frankly, this is the first alarm I've ever put on a bike. Simply because it was plug and play and very cost effective. I also like that the stock dash incorporates the blinking alarm led right out of the box. There is no way, I'm adding an alarm the needs tapping into the bike's wiring harness when KTM was provides a fully wired in connector ready to go.
    ZiggyInNc, undingen and SirWreckaLot like this.
  6. TheBritAbroad

TheBritAbroad Just ride.

Oddometer:
    For what it’s worth I have had the same alarm with the same plug and play fitting on my 1290 for coming up to four years and it just does what it’s supposed to do. Press the fob it arms, press the fob again it disarms. Lift the bike off the side stand it goes off, forget it’s on and turn the key in the ignition it goes off etc. I haven’t had any drama with it at all. Only thing i have done in that time is replace the batteries in the fobs (two minute job) after a couple of years just because I figured it was a good idea.
    ZiggyInNc and gsuks like this.
  7. ynnck

ynnck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So, I've installed the alarm.. and stuck the alarm to the air filter cover. but I have some questions, as I can't wrap my head around its behavior and the manual is of little use.

How sensitive should the motion sensor be? As in, when I've armed the alarm with the remote, I can rock the bike from side to side for what feels like a minute before it actually goes off. And I'm talking literally leaning the bike to one side until I can barely hold it and back upright. I've had several BMWs with the OEM alarm and those sensors were miles more sensitive to what I'm experiencing now.

I haven't changed any settings, plugged the alarm in and paired the remotes. Is there a difference in behavior of the alarm when it is armed with the remote and when it automatically arms after 50s when the ignition is turned off? Because it seems that I can't get it to go off by moving the bike when it automatically armed itself, this might be related to my first question on how sensitive the sensor should be though.

And the final question, when the alarm is armed, I can turn on the ignition and start the bike, without unarming it with the remote, all while the red alarm led is blinking and it keeps blinking while the engine is running. I'm baffled.
  8. relz

relz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Note that when you arm the alarm, there is a period of time (can't remember how many seconds) when it is in kind of a stand-by mode. So it will not go off if you rock the bike in that time, instead it will only flash the led. I find this useful if I want to arm the alarm, and then pick up my helmet from the seat or whatever without going deaf.

I also find that the alarm isn't overly sensitive, it takes a good movement of the bike to actually trigger it. But again, I find this usefull cause I don't want it going off every time I bump into the bike or a loud exhaust rides by.

That being said, if I ever do forget the alarm is on and actually attempt to start the bike/remove the seat/or just roll it backwards I regret it immediately. That thing is loud!
  9. ynnck

ynnck Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did some more testing and had another look at the manual.

When the alarm switches itself on (blinking red led) after 50s when ignition is cut, it is only the immobiliser which is armed according to the manual, not the motion sensor. The motion sensor is only enabled when arming the alarm with the remote.

When armed with the remote (with motion sensor on) I can get it to go off, with limited movement of the bike and by turning the ignition on.

Seeing the blinking red led, does not necessary mean the motion sensor is on, hence the confusion. With only the immobiliser armed, you can indeed start the bike and led keeps blinking, no siren goes off. I'm not quite sure what the manual means when it says 'immobiliser' in this case.
  10. BHoward

BHoward Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Alarm mounts with the Rottweiler intake very nice. Filter removal and install can be performed very quickly and easily with the alarm in place.
    Screenshot_20210127-082824_Gallery.jpg
  11. BHoward

BHoward Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    A couple better pictures of alarm with the Rottweiler filter.
    Screenshot_20210127-083306_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210127-083251_Gallery.jpg
  12. ADV890R

ADV890R Patriotic Conservative American. Scr3w antifa

Oddometer:
    Think I'm going to get a Scorpio SRX-900 like I have on my 'RR.