790? Skid plate options

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by jmarleau, Aug 13, 2019.

1. MeefZah

MeefZah Curmudgeonly Supporter

Oddometer:
    Camel ADV

Nice quality

Easy installation (I had no issues with the foot pegs being rotated as others seem to have had - ? )

Decent enough price, with free shipping

Could not get the tank protectors rearmost bolt and nut in; just an inconvenient design without a captured nut, so 2 zip ties per side replaced the bolt. Also the front 2 bolts holding the tank protectors to the top of the skid plate are awkward to install with the rubber grommets so I deleted the grommets and just used a large washer in their place (allows the bolt to move laterally a little to insert it into the captured nut)

Shown on 890 R

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Holes hold up the bike with a Enduro Star stand (not designed that way, but works)

[​IMG]
  2. tdhanses

tdhanses Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Have you tried trimming the factory tank guards and installing them again, seem that would be the easiest way to protect everything and not get a new plate setup.
  3. Tigerkf

Tigerkf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have not tried trimming the factory tank guards. I don't feel I should have to modify protection for it to "protect". Besides if the steel bars move they'll just push the plastic into whatever I'm trying to protect. I thought it was a good design but I have been proven wrong! I'll use the cry once principal on this and get something that does its job. I'll have to come up with another way to mount some highway pegs.
  4. tdhanses

tdhanses Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I get that but it’s just finding a way to leave factory items in place, another option is the Rottweiler guard.
  5. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist Supporter

Oddometer:

I see the Dad humour in that statement, trust me, but what would you do if you were a vendor, and you had a product which (acted as a crumple zone, and) broke one tenth of one percent of the time? Would you dismiss your product as defective and send out thousands of replacements (V2) (and subsequently go bankrupt) OR would you wait for that tiny segment of failures to appear and honour those with a new and improved version two?

Words are powerful, and hold sway, is all.
  6. Dan D.

Dan D. Long timer

Oddometer:
    I agree, just being an ass.

My buddy has a version 1, and crashes the shit out of it, and hasn't had any problems. I'm actually surprised that some do.

I thought that's what we did around here? Bash everything that we didn't choose ourselves?

:)
    throttled, TrailTrauma and complacent like this.
  7. Tigerkf

Tigerkf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Other than the weight savings, is there a reason to go with the AXP vs the BDCW? Anyone tried the TUSK Quiet Glide skid plate someone posted earlier or know someone who has?
  8. Dan D.

Dan D. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oy vey
    ebrew likes this.
  9. complacent

complacent Adventurer

Oddometer:
    very satisfied BDCW owner here.
    BHoward and BlackDogCycleWorks like this.
  10. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist Supporter

Oddometer:
    That has to be, by far, the coolest skid plate photo I've ever seen. I hope mine looks like that one day .. kinda.
    new2adv, nibby and chrisparks like this.
  11. goodquest

goodquest Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was just going to buy an AXP, now I'm not so sure.
    comradecasey likes this.
  12. kirill_k

kirill_k Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dr. Frankenstein, is that you? :)
  13. Tigerkf

Tigerkf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's ALIVE!!!!!

I ordered the BDCW and a trail stand. Anyone in the market for slightly used Outback Motortek hardware???
  14. Tigerkf

Tigerkf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did send an email to Outback Motortek regarding the bars shifting. Their response was to tell me that the testing they did on the 790 was one of the harshest yet. They then went on the say:
    "It's hard to understand how in your case the crash bars shifted just by dropping them on grass or in mud.

Would you have any photos to share, please?"

I sent them photos but have not received a response yet. I will update when I do. In the meantime, I will install my BDCW skid plate once it arrives.
  15. tdhanses

tdhanses Adventurer

Oddometer:
  16. tdhanses

tdhanses Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Will you post your pics here? Be interesting to see so I can watch for the same issue. I’m just having a hard time figuring out a point where it can shift, it’s locked in the back by 4 screws and the front connects to 2 bars that lock the front in place. The mounting holes don’t have slots for the bolts to shift other then the 2 back center bolts but their slots are front to back not side to side.

I wonder if the factory bolts that connect the bars in the front are loose, that could allow the front to shift.
  17. Tigerkf

Tigerkf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nope, I moved the bars off the tank loosened the whole thing and took the skid plate off. Put everything back on tightened up and after another couple drops on GRASS they moved over almost touching the tank again! I am not crazy neither am I incompetent in mechanical matters! I'm not sure why it moved but that is a moot point because the results are what matters not the reasons.
  18. Tigerkf

Tigerkf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here is the high side space between the bars and tank. I can get all my fingers in the space.
    highsidecrashbars.jpeg
    Here is the low side space between the bars and tank after it shifted the second time. I didn't take a picture of the shift the first time because I wanted to get it away from the fuel pump quickly. You can clearly see that on the low side I can't even get a finger between the tank and bars. On the high side I can fit all my fingers.

lowside crashbars.jpeg
  19. new2adv

new2adv Converting gas into wheelies since 1974

Oddometer:
  20. BlackDogCycleWorks

BlackDogCycleWorks Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks! We appreciate the order.

For grins here's a photo of our 790 test mule out in rocks where it is most at home :D

169162670_3086616808232857_6342703955850124901_n.jpg

-Black Dog Cycle Works
    www.blackdogcw.com
    Migolito and SFC_Ren like this.