790? Skid plate options

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by jmarleau, Aug 13, 2019.

1. BHoward

BHoward Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Was that it? Did they offer you anything?
    I would think at least a discount on a new set or replacement.
    Not that you or anyone else would want to install those hideous monstrosities that don't even work.
    But something for your troubles.
  2. Tigerkf

Tigerkf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    NOPE!!! That my friend is the entirety of the reply! No offer for a discount or to make things right. I hope they lose more money from the people who avoid their products than they would have lost making things right. Not that it makes me feel any better. It's insulting that they insinuated I was not being truthful about the circumstances!
    BHoward likes this.
  3. relz

relz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    +1

I'm very happy with the EE plate too. It's got a hell of a bashing on my bike, as I live in a rocky area. Every so often hear the bottom of the bike smashing against rocks, and have dropped the bike countless times. The bash plate worked perfectly so far.
    Venturer and cjracer like this.
  4. BHoward

Oddometer:
    That is to bad. It's things like this that really truly separate excellent companies from the really shity companies. Axp had a very small issue with their bash plate and immediately did the right thing and offered full replacements. This is a perfect example of a excellent company. When Outback has a issue the reply is go pound sand.
    No company is Perfect, sometimes products have problems, how companies handle those problems is what truly separates the good from the bad.
    The only thing that we are left with to do just to tell everybody the truth.
    Let everybody know Outback is truly a bad Company. I for one don't own any of their products but I know that I will never ever purchase one now and I will spread the word to the best of my ability. Outback does not have a place in the ADV world.
    Dan D. likes this.
  5. Dan D.

Dan D. Long timer

Oddometer:
    I thought the intent of his product was to indeed pound sand... Oh, you didn't mean literally.
    BHoward likes this.
  6. BHoward

Oddometer:
    Ok, that is funny .
  7. BHoward

Oddometer:
    @Tigerkf
    If you go to the review section on Facebook for Outback there's a bunch of people that don't recommend.
    I'm one of them and I did write up my feelings about this situation and I'll also send them an email.
    I really really despise companies like this.
    Qbasz likes this.
  8. brianbrannon

brianbrannon They'll ride up with wear

Oddometer:
    Is it possible the front frame loop mount is cracked or loose enough for the outback bars to shift like that?
  9. 9.5isCanadian

9.5isCanadian "Missing a few pieces." Supporter

Oddometer:
    So to, add some perspective to this building dog pile.

I too crashed my 790
    In mud at around 20 mph and until I inspect closer, which is on the todo list today, the bars worked perfectly.
    I won’t comment on “if they moved or not” until I inspect closer.

With that said, I would not classify the Coke bottle skid plate as having a “minor issue”. Splitting open as it has been shown to do is no less minor than a shift on impact against other components meant to be protected.
    Maintaining impartiality is what adds value to an expressed opinion.

I am eager to hear how the Tusk Quiet glide works out.

Now I’m off to Bardoff mountain to, in all likelihood, put the metal to the (dirt) road.....

9 1/2
    tdhanses and BHoward like this.
  10. BHoward

Oddometer:
    9.5 you are absolutely right, a complete and total catastrophic failure of a bash plate is not a minor issue and I should have worded that better, by the way I like your Coke bash plate reference, that is kind of funny.
    I also like your statement about impartiality adds value, I 100% agree with this and I don't have a dog in this fight.
    I have never owned a coke bottle bash plate or the Outback.

BTW, I hope your inspection turns up good results.
  11. Tigerkf

Tigerkf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It just so happens I can pull the plate off today and look at the frame loop. I would say that if the design of the Outback allows the frame loop to move enough to break then it is still a bad design. The BDCW and AXP skid plates probably will not allow horizontal (low side to high side or vice versa) flexion because of the tanks. Since the Outback skid plate is only mounted to the bars, if the rigid bars move horizontal they could push the frame loop that direction. Again this would be considered a design flaw on Outback's part since KTM did not design the frame loop for that type of flexion. Since I am not an engineer, I as a consumer should not be expected to consider all the physics concerned in using a particular product. That product should work as advertised and not negatively effect the item its intended to protect!
    BHoward likes this.
  12. Tigerkf

Tigerkf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I also know that some people with the exact same product may not have the experience I had and may be happy with their purchase. I do not expect other people to join me if they are happy. I will inform others of my experience in case they are considering what to purchase so that they can make an informed decision. I will examine the frame loop today or tomorrow.
    BHoward likes this.
  13. Dan D.

Dan D. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pretty sure I've never seen anyone recommend that product here... You must have bought it before reading this forum. Otherwise, you had hoped for better results.

Regardless, sorry for your trouble, but try and look on the bright side... Whatever that may be.
    BHoward likes this.
  14. Tigerkf

Tigerkf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    BDCW is the bright side. I think!
  15. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have no dog in the fight and sorry to hear you had a problem with them and didn't get a satisfactory response. It's not possible to know from one side telling it all the details of what occurred between two parties (you and Outback Motortek).

Every drop is different. Some that seem sure to tear stuff up doesn't and others that seem completely harmless do. The bike is effectively a 460lb sledgehammer to anything between it and the ground when it falls and avoiding damage 100% of the time is pretty much impossible.

At face value: I'd be disappointed and looking for some support too in your case. Especially since the manufacturer advertises the product with a video tossing the same bike down a rock slope with no reported damage other than some scraped paint. In my mind I'd be thinking "You talk the talk but don't walk the walk" in regards to their response. The fact that they didn't damage their set up in a test has no bearing on the fact that you did.

It would seem reasonable that they would ask for photos of all the mount points to ensure things were bolted right and if so at least offer to replace the tweaked mounts on the basis that there may have been an issue with them based on your description of what occurred. Sounds like they let their ego get in the way of customer satisfaction a bit. But again, that's just taking things at face value which isn't really fair.
    TrailTrauma, tdhanses and BHoward like this.
  16. BHoward

Oddometer:
    I really really like all of my black dog bash plates. If there was a drawback they may be slightly heavier then some others. However the proof is in the bottom of my black dog bash plates especially on the 1190 which is almost 700 lb loaded with my camping gear.
  17. BHoward

Oddometer:
    All very well put windblown. I must admit my problem comes in when a company supposedly caters to the ADV Market and then has 0 customer support. Most companies in this industry the good ones anyway if you break or damage their product in one form or another they generally will take care of you. A good example is Mosko Moto, if you crash and rip one of their bags or tear their product they will offer a discount or in one way or another take care of you with excellent customer support.
  18. Tigerkf

Tigerkf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for everyone's support! I am in no way a bullshitter and if I had a major drop, I would not be posting here about the failure of said product. I only received two replies from Outback Motortek both were posted above. I realize that Outback is not on here to defend themselves but they could have defended themselves in their replies to me. They merely insinuated I was not being truthful.

I am not trying to sway anyone to "my side" just laying all the cards on the table.
    BHoward likes this.
  19. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist Supporter

Oddometer:
    When this sort of thing occurs sometimes it's better to make a phone call. I exchanged correspondence with Lorry a few yrs ago, and he's an easy going fellow.

As with any vendor, (and not to try making excuses here), there will be challenges. But in the time of covid, supply chain challenges, and so on it really seems a call is the decent thing to do versus continuing to pour out discontent here.
    tdhanses and BHoward like this.
  20. BHoward

Oddometer:
    I agree with the phone call however emails have already been exchanged and Outback has made their position perfectly clear.