790? Skid plate options

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by jmarleau, Aug 13, 2019.

1. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist Supporter

Oddometer:

It's impossible to know what's on his plate right now, so no I can't agree he has made his 'full and final' position clear. In speaking to vendors over the years it's remarkable how many hours into the evening they have to put aside for correspondence. It has to get dizzying. But I think a call could break through and an easier tone, and approach towards some sort of resolution could be found imho.
    BHoward likes this.
  2. Dan D.

Dan D. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Agreed on the call. Verbal communication always trumps written.

If I relied on written communication, I'd never have any friends.
    MeefZah and BHoward like this.
  3. BHoward

BHoward Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I sure hope you guys are right about the phone call I really really I do hope you guys are right and maybe it's all just a big misunderstanding and with one phone call Outback will maybe give him a 50% discount on a new one or sending the new unit or something like that fingers crossed.

By the way world's longest sentence I know
  4. BHoward

BHoward Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I would like to apologize to everybody for my Outburst of negativity concerning the Outback bash plate customer support.
    It is not my issue, yes I do have some anger management issues LOL and a huge trigger for me is a lack of customer support LOL
    Sorry everybody I will make an honest effort to lighten up.
    TrailTrauma and RyanC like this.
  5. Janduin

Janduin d'oh

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, this might be a slightly silly question but does the skid plate have any structural function? That is, does it like hold anything in place or can the bike be ridden without a skid plate?
    The reason I ask is because I was in an accident last fall where I got hit by a car in an intersection. All the plastic on the left side of the bike and the tank and fuel pump has been replaced. The only thing left to replace is the skid plate, which for some reason seem hard to come by. My mechanic has only heard that the skid plate "will arrive later" from KTM.

Now, up here in the north of sweden there are still 30-50cm of snow in the woods but the streets are quite rideable and I'm thinking of retrieving my bike and have the mechanic install the skid plate later whenever it turns up.
    Is there anything that would prevent me from riding my bike without a skid plate?
    If the shipping wasn't 50% of the total from the states I'd buy a BDCW plate in an instant...
  6. tdhanses

tdhanses Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I wouldn’t as the skid plates main purpose is to protect the engine from damage. Skid plate will be cheap compared to a new engine but really this will be a personal risk you would have to decide on if worth it or not based on your riding.
  7. brianbrannon

brianbrannon They'll ride up with wear

Oddometer:
    The skid plate is not structural
    Janduin and windblown101 like this.
  8. Janduin

Janduin d'oh

Oddometer:
    Well yeah sure, but I mean a few days or like a week of light road riding with no offroad what so ever until the skid plate arrives... It's not like the engine is made from crystal glass. But yeah I hear what you're saying.

Thanks!
  9. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, no structural issues running without the skid plate. Done it a few times for q quick test run after working on the bike before buttoning everything back up. There will be sensitive items exposed but only an issue if you run over something the front tire kicks up. I wouldn't ride it off-road with out one.
  10. TrailTrauma

Oddometer:
    I think several of your countrymen have already transitioned to an aftermarket skid plate - can you put an ad in the flea market area here - "Wanted: OEM skid plate for 790/890 ADV in SWEDEN or nearby"

I would think there is one close by which should go for a song, or even just the bottom portion it sounds like you need most.
  11. Smallfurry

Smallfurry Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Exactly this.
  12. Tigerkf

Tigerkf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have an update on my Outback Motortek saga. Lorry made it right by sending me a replacement!

I think this was at least partially if not entirely due to this forum. The fact that we share our experiences about the products we use, puts a little pressure on manufacturers to stand behind their products or risk losing a lot of customers. Not sure if that was the case this time but either way, Outback Motortek did stand behind their product in the end!
    tdhanses, BHoward and TrailTrauma like this.
  13. Dan D.

Dan D. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Everyone loves a happy ending
    David_Moen likes this.
  14. tdhanses

tdhanses Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That’s great to hear, thanks for the update.
  15. brianbrannon

brianbrannon They'll ride up with wear

Oddometer:
    Are you going to put it on and see if it works better than the last one?
  16. 9.5isCanadian

9.5isCanadian "Missing a few pieces." Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well today I was able to field test my bars.
    In the interest of balance I opted to test both side as evident by the layer of “field test medium” visible on the exhaust, multiple times.
    Just to be sure ......
    IMG_0655.JPG IMG_0656.JPG

Can confirm no visible movement in my experience.
    More testing to come .....
    relz, chevmekanik, BHoward and 3 others like this.
  17. Dan D.

Dan D. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lol
  18. Tigerkf

Tigerkf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That would be negative! I'm going to try and sell it to recoup some of my loss and go a different direction with the BDCW.
  19. TrailTrauma

Oddometer:

Douche move. Lorry made it right with you, and you're going to take all the time and energy it took to produce, and ship a replacement and you're going to thumb your nose at him and cash it in as profit in your pocket??
  20. Tigerkf

Tigerkf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I requested a refund but that was not an option. I no longer trust the design and do not want to risk damage to my fuel pump. Besides I already ordered the BDCW skid plate before he decided to offer me a replacement.

So you think I should be forced to put it on my bike or should I just store it somewhere and not use it. Since you are the one who decides what is right and what is wrong can you tell me what I should do with it? It's not profit, I'm out the original $500 I spent on the product plus the money I spent on the BDCW replacement I ordered after Lorry Insinuated in his email that I didn't damage it in the manner I said. If he would have offered a replacement originally this may be a different discussion but he did not! Sooo.......... I'm not thumbing my nose at anyone. I'm just trying to get some of the money I'm out back. Not quite sure how you see it as profit??? So the spreadsheet would read -$885 + $450= -$435. That still seems like a loss. Maybe I'm crazy.

Of course you do things I don't agree with either but that's why you are you and I am me. Thanks for your opinion anyway!
    BHoward and comradecasey like this.