790 vs 990.

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by [Art], Jun 14, 2019.

1. [Art]

[Art] Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  2. co_bandy

co_bandy n00b

Oddometer:
    Great read! My buddy just picked up a 990 with 10k miles for $5500.. Yeah it's not a 790 but I'm not sure the differences for him are worth the extra 10k+ !!
  3. AdvRonski

AdvRonski They call me......Ronski

Oddometer:
    Nice one, Art! This article mirrors what I have found, that the 790 is faster, lighter, and less work to ride fast than my beloved 950/990 Hotrod. BUT, I am going to keep the old gal around, because it's still a fun bike to ride. And, having the 790 to play with and sharpen it's offroad focus is going to be SO MUCH FUN!
    amschnellsten and desert sky like this.
  4. Velociraptor

Velociraptor TrackBum Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Now if only my 790r would arrive! Ugh!
    Great review! I sold my 1290 SAR. The nail in the coffin for me was when I had to lift my 1290 after a tip over. Got it up but was thankful I did not ruin my back.
  5. motoman250f

motoman250f Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Are we supposed to believe that the 790 has better low end power than the 990? seems to me the reason the 990 was faster offroad is because you could short shift it and use a broader power to better control the rear tire.. The fact that you were fighting the weight makes it a harder to do longer but part of that is you have 1.5 inches more ground clearance on the 990.. there are still a few advantages of the old beast IMO,, ground clearance,, torque, availability used and cheap.. To say "throw away the 990 because the 790 is here" is premature. If you add any future gremlins and also the potential of clearance problems busting stuff this conversation gets pretty balanced.. JMHO
    RedRupert and JohnnyWaffles like this.
  6. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    I wonder how it compares on the long haul.
    600 km days, day after day, 50/50 dirt and tar, I wonder which would be easier to live with.
    I dont do hard stuff anymore, too much crash damage on these old bones.
    Would I consider the 790 to be better for what I do????
    The only advantage on paper for me is cruise control for the slab sections to help with my wrist issues.

[​IMG]
  7. AdvRonski

AdvRonski They call me......Ronski

Oddometer:
    Saying one has "better" power in any area is misleading. Better is a word filled with nearly infinite meanings. The 790 engine has a completely different character than the 950/990 engines, as it's technology is decades newer. I have no doubt the 790 is quicker just about anywhere than my 950/990SD, because the 790 revs up with the ferocity of a current MX engine. Although, most of the time, with these Karoo3 tires, it just means a lot of wheel spin. But, when you do find traction, you had better be pointed where you want to go, because you will get there very quickly. Personally, I find myself less tired after a hard ride on the 790, and when I get the suspension developed to the level of the 265mm Konflict stuff on my 950, it won't even be close, especially if there are any tipovers to pick up. As you can see, I love the 790, and anyone who is trying to talk themselves out of getting one is just kidding themselves.
    Dusty and chippertheripper like this.
  8. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    Doesn’t answer my question for my scenario though. I’m not racing, I don’t do “hard”, I’m not in any hurry, I don’t want 265 mm travel, but I like doing big k’s on dirt in comfort.
    What about long distance comfort, wind protection, buffeting etc etc
    Sounds like your in the honeymoon period :-)
    Manakau.KTM and JohnnyWaffles like this.
  9. 2 SPOT

2 SPOT bring the rape whistle

Oddometer:
    honeymoon period,,,, thats a great way to say it.

look, i have no doubts that the 790 is a great bike all around,,, its lighter, smaller and newer.

but i completely get what banana is saying,,,, my hardcore days are behind me and i am completely happy with my 990, it does what i want and i am very comfortable and confident on it.

i'm not fooling myself or trying to talk myself out of the 790 being a good bike.

for me, buying a new bike is a large outlay of money, money i can use everyday. the 790 and the T7 though very different bikes, are just the beginning of what i think will be offered in a new growing midrange off road market,, so for me at least i will enjoy my 990 for a bit longer and cross that road when i decide its time, hopefully with a bike that falls right in the middle of the 790 and T7.
  10. 990s

990s Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have about 2000 km on my 790R now and i think i can say the 790 is the better 990. Also on comfort on the highway. Personally i always try to avoid highways, but imho the 790 is much more comfortable due to less / herky fuel injection/ less heat from the engine, /less vibration,/ less fuel consumption. Better range. Etc.
    I have no buffering and i also like stock seat. Cruise control is gooood!!
    I also think with abs/mst/traction control it is much safer on the boring stuff. A big plus in my book.
    You can always turn it off for more focused riding, but i learned, by doing, that abs in offroad modus is very good, traction control to.
    After the first 600 km or soe i thought i gonna miss my 990S, and the special feelings it gave me ever time i rode it.
    But not any more. After riding it for å couple of days in my favorite place it's under my skin !
    But if you dont do hard core anymore: maybe the normal 790 (s?) Is the better choise?
    BDO, Dusty, 1coolbanana and 1 other person like this.
  11. 2 SPOT

2 SPOT bring the rape whistle

Oddometer:
    Whats hardcore? Unmaintained dirt rd? Two track rd? Ricky jeep trail? Cow track? Erzberg rodeo?

I dont do the erzberg type stuff any more, but everything else is a go. I love two track jeep trail stuff.
  12. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Quickly or slowly? If you want to rail rocky two track as fast as you can I'd say go R. If you want to be able to tackle the same rocky jeep trails at a more moderate pace I'd bet the Std would do fine.
  13. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had (as far as KTM's go) a 950, then a 990R, then an 1190R, now back to the 990 above.
    The 1190 was great, loved some of the rider aids, especially things like the rain mode and ABS which has saved my ass in the dirt and tar many times from roos and sheep.
    After a 500 mile day and youre on the long haul home, its pissing down rain, youre tired, big trucks around, stupid people around, slippery roads covered in diesel, it was really nice to have "assistance".

But ultimately it did not give the satisfaction, didnt fit ME well, did not give me the pleasure, or the smiles that a 9XX provides.
    I dont go to dealers, I can rebuild and repair the 9XX myself, I do all the servicing, mods and Ive also invested a ton in the Aurora, suspension etc to make it perfect for me.

As Im getting older I do appreciate some of the finer things like the electronic aids but Im reluctant to look towards the 790 just yet.
    I would really like to like the 790 but will just have to wait to see how they pan out in the longer term.
    I still have a problem going to dealers which I may or may not get over!

The biggest problem for me, is that I cannot tell if a bike is for me after a test ride, I need a few days and even weeks which isnt possible, so will have to live it through the eyes of others I respect for a while before heading down that road.

Maybe it will be the next step for me or maybe Ill live out my riding days in ignorant bliss loving the 990???

Looking forward to hearing opinions as this bike gets more miles under it.

Sorry for the ramble :-)
    OrangeJim, Misery Goat, ADV67 and 5 others like this.
  14. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    It looks like you'll now need to change your screen name.
    1coolbanana likes this.
  15. jaumev

jaumev Long timer

Oddometer:
    i'm doing mostly off road. I had a 990R (245mm suspension) replaced for a 990S (265mm) and now a 790 R.
    I'm agree with the article. If you want strong sensations there is no bike to compare with the 990.
    But if you want to push it's limits you must be Marc Coma. I had great time with it but as I'm not Coma the 790 is the perfect replacement to the Queen 990.
    I felt really confident with it since I sat on it. It is confortable, sporty, great in offroad and on road... fantastic bike.
    I think it has the DNA of the 990 with all the advantages of new technologies.
    I had the opportunity to have the R, the R with the Xplor Pro suspensions and the S: https://traildreamer.com/prueba-de-las-suspensiones-wp-xplor-pro-para-la-790/
    I was surprise with the S. It's better on road and very capable off road. I think the main problem of this bike is the R.

The three bikes

[​IMG]

The S in action. Better than it seems in off road

[​IMG]

But I miss The Queen...

[​IMG]
  16. Wastedavid

Wastedavid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well 790 has all technology available these days and on experts hands maybe it would be better than 990, but as some have said here, at this moment I guess the 990 can take me anywhere a 790 coul take me to. At least in Colombia, the price is around 18000 USD, compared to 7-8000 of a good second hand 990. Then, whit some important projects going on, I guess I could do the same and stay with my lovely "Cabrita 990" rather than spending a lot of money on the new 790. One thing I've been thinking off is the second hand market, in the case I decide to sell my cabrita for whatever reason. At the end the problem is not the arrow (bike), is the indian (pilot).
    Crazygreek, JohnnyWaffles and jaumev like this.
  17. bobnoxious67

bobnoxious67 Baby steps...

Oddometer:
    Comparing a 790R to a 950SE is far more accurate than comparing to a 950/990A
    snarf likes this.
  18. jaumev

jaumev Long timer

Oddometer:
    Why?
  19. NKL

NKL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Why do we have to go down the same route as when the 1090 came out, put all this 790 rubbish in with the 1090, this is for the 950/990
    Dewi and TavisB like this.
  20. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm sure some of the 950 guys said the same thing about the fuel injected 990 when it came out. Though I don't necessarily disagree mind you... a separate forum for the 790s would allow us to not pack so many broad ranging aspects of these new bikes into just a handful of "mega" threads for fear of upsetting someone that their forum was being taken over. ;)
    CaseyB, Unhingedlizard and Venturer like this.