790 vs 990.

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by [Art], Jun 14, 2019.

1. BDO

BDO Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just curious if you ridden a newer 1290 SAR or 790?

The things mentioned were all handled on my 990 as well but there is refinement not apparent unless you ride the newer bikes IMO.

I would argue the weight is a huge difference however. Loved my 990 offload with no camping gear. It became more than I wanted however when going on multi days rides with 35-40 lbs of gear.
  2. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    Had an 1190R, was never impressed, even less with the 1290R, havent ridden the 790 "yet" :-)

To me, getting back on a 9XX after the 1190R felt like I was getting on a DR, so light and nimble
    braaap! and Crazygreek like this.
  3. BDO

BDO Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Kinda like comparing air cooled 911's against the newer PDK cars.... both are great.
  4. AdvRonski

AdvRonski They call me......Ronski

Oddometer:
    F2BF5D01-FC10-45EB-88FA-B2592EE87346.jpeg Seriously, people, the justifications I’m seeing here for discounting the performance of the 790 are just laughable. I just got back from another short, 30 mile ride through the north desert, on the same single track I have ridden the 950 on over and over, and there is no contest. Whatever weight difference you are quoting different figures for has very little to do with numbers, as the difference in feel is tremendous. Anyone who has both a 950/990 and a real dirt bike knows incredibly light and easy to ride a 350/450 feels after getting off the big bike. Well, I would place the 790 somewhere pretty close to the middle between the two experiences. Even just pushing it around, or turning around on a tight trail, or, Thank God, picking it up. All I am hearing is Blah, Blah, Blah, it’s not pretty enough, it’s not as light as I wanted it to be, that gas tank scares me, the foot pegs are 1/2 inch too high, technology frightens and confuses me, and on and on. Jeez. Just admit it, you missed the boat on the first batch of these, and those of us who bet heavily on this bike being really good right out of the gate are loving it.
    nhbubba, 2 SPOT, Norduro and 12 others like this.
  5. Velociraptor

Velociraptor TrackBum Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    And those of us who bet heavily on the 790r being really good and still don't have one.....maybe this week!
    chippertheripper and BDO like this.
  6. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’m not trying to talk myself out of one, I’m trying to find a good reason to talk myself into one :-)

I do use mine differently to a lot of you though.
  7. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    As it should be with technology 20 years newer
  8. JohnnyWaffles

JohnnyWaffles Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well this turned dark quickly.

Honestly I really just think it comes down to personal finances for anyone. Obviously any of us would hop on the latest and greatest thing if it was financially doable.

All I hope is that 790 inspires more to ride on the harder trails at the KTM Rally's rather than me being stuck with trailered 450s and 690s.
    2 SPOT, Wastedavid and 1coolbanana like this.
  9. Unhingedlizard

Unhingedlizard Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've ridden the 790r as stock and its light years ahead of my 950 in every area except roll on torque at low revs. It inspires offroad where mine intimidates and makes the older bike feel like a top heavy tractor everywhere else.

I'm not sure capability wise if it's a massive difference but to live with day to day it's got it beat in every department. The only reason I don't have one in the garage is
    1. I have some reservations regarding the suspension
    2. There are no customer bikes yet
    3. I'm not sure I would use the extra capabilities over the T7 (or even my 950) considering my preference for offroad is tight technical riding. If that's the case I can buy a yamaha and save myself 7k
  10. Wastedavid

Wastedavid Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wise words, for sure I'd like to have both (ahhh dreaming awake is always so nice), but as you said, it's financial conditions that make you take decisions. In this case, and as I mentioned before, would it be enough parts for 990 for upcoming years? How hard is it gonna be to sell "la Cabrita" or mantain it after some years more? Both bikes are good, at least for an "average skilled" rider like me, but believe me, those 10k USD or more that need to be invested... man... I still don't know.
    1coolbanana likes this.
  11. Kobreti

Kobreti Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys, anybody tried 790 two up? How is it compared to 950/990A ?
  12. Irongig

Irongig Been here awhile

Oddometer:

What really matters is that you are satisfied by the bike you own.
    There are things that go beyond pure weight difference and so on.
    Those are the emotions and feelings that the bike gives u staring at it and riding it.
    That’s what made me trade my 1090r for a 990r, and i would never go back.
    No doubt 790r is a great bike, better than a 9xx in so many aspects.
    But for me, no comparable feelings riding both of them.
    And, btw, the rear shock position gives some rally teams headhache figuring how ti prevent it from kicking like a horse when riding fast.
  13. Unhingedlizard

Unhingedlizard Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The one thing that sticks in my head is the dealer asking me after the test ride if I would buy one. I said yes, but I'd be trading my 390 duke, not my 950 adventure.
    Manakau.KTM likes this.
  14. 2 SPOT

2 SPOT bring the rape whistle

Oddometer:
    naww, i missed the boat in the mid 90's when i didnt have progressive guys like you to help get the highland 950 going.

you going to RMAR? maybe that 790 will ride itself down the steps and we can drink a beer watching it:lol3
    1coolbanana likes this.
  15. bobnoxious67

bobnoxious67 Baby steps...

Oddometer:
    CBC0C071-60E1-49F3-9AAB-BD6CCF3AD117.png 2048F3B0-08D2-4E7B-AC27-03300C97C46C.png
    Because power/weight ratio nearly the same, overall bike size closer to same, weight distribution closet to same, suspension performance closer to same, seeing the 2 in those overlay pics they are nearly the same, Chris Birch even said that a better comparison is to an SE than an Adventure

You’re hung up on the name...the 790R is the closest thing to an “Enduro” in the whole ADV line from KTM
    ADV67 likes this.
  16. chippertheripper

chippertheripper motorcycle junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    Weight distro front/rear might be pretty similar, I think the thing that’s gonna separate the 790 from the se is how hi/lo the cog is.
    You and I will a/b this shit most promptly once the eagle lands. I’m shooting to pick it up weds afternoon-ish.
    nhbubba and bobnoxious67 like this.
  17. motoman250f

motoman250f Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd really argue the SE vs 790 if everyone was acting like the 790 was an adv bike like the adv name. but everyone is claiming its a dirt bike! chris burch this and that,,, SE vs 790 is fair IMHO
    bobnoxious67 likes this.
  18. BDO

BDO Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did a impromptu roll on test with my 790 vs my buddies 2013 990 today.

We stayed in 4th gear and started around 4000 rpm (about 47 mph) and went full throttle.

Traffic was ahead of us and like I said impromptu idea over the headsets.

My 790 started to pull away (about a bike length it so) before I backed off as I was hitting the break-in rev limiter and the tft tach started flashing.

Will do more testing when I get a chance. I’m coming from a 1290 SAR and 2013 990, having owned both at the same time.

I picked up my 790 yesterday after placing my deposit 364 days ago.

The 790 feels like no adventure bike I’ve ridden. The lack of a giant tank and it’s lower fuel weight is huge and very welcomed. Makes it feel much more like my 501 than my 990.

Besides owning the 1290 and 990 I’ve ridden my brothers 1090 and I’ve owned a 2013 GSA.

The 790 is a game changer and that’s not marketing crap, to me it’s a major shift that changes the definition of the way Adventure bikes feel and ride.
    bobnoxious67 likes this.
  19. oldfuddy

oldfuddy Long timer

Oddometer:
    My expectations with the 790, don’t include beating a 9x0 on slab, or 1X90 on slab. Not a realistic comparison on slab to me. Those are higher displacement bikes. My hope is the 790 will equal or beat a 9X0 off road as there’s no 9X0 replacements. If it does that, great. As for the Enduro / Adv argument, I don’t care. There is not a 790 Enduro (yet) and the SE and HP2 were one-offs. If the 790 can handle the two aforementioned or do better, then we have a new Adv to replace (replace in the sense of update) those two Enduro unicorns. Here in the US we used 50+ year old B-52’s to conduct close air support. Don’t get too hung up in what the manufacture labels a weapon. It’s more how can the weapon be used successfully.
  20. 2 SPOT

2 SPOT bring the rape whistle

Oddometer:
    well said fuddy,,, and thats been my idea all along,,, who cares what its labeled as. to date the 9x0 bikes have been the benchmark in this class, the 790r SHOULD be able to best it,,, its got everything going in its favor and so far sounds like it does.