790 vs 990.

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by [Art], Jun 14, 2019.

1. sqrlnts

sqrlnts Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great point now sell me your 950!
    amschnellsten likes this.
  2. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It can certainly pay to keep in mind who is making statements and from where they collect a paycheck. However I suspect if Chris thought his truthful opinion would anger KTM corporate he's just keep his mouth shut.

Having put about 1600 miles on the 790AdventureR and a good chunk of that learning how it behaves in the dirt I found the statements he has previously made about the 790 compared to other KTMs to be pretty spot on. The 790 is not the best road biased Adventure bike, as he has stated. It likes to be wound up and lacks the smooth low end torque of the bigger v-twins, as he has stated. If ridden as one would ride other big Adventure bikes it doesn't really shine all that brightly (though for me the low center of gravity is noticeable no matter how you are riding). The electronics actually work and the TC is unlike any I've ever experienced, as he said they would be. The bike really starts to come into it's own when you start to ride more aggressively and just "Hit" stuff with it, as he has stated. He also stated when asked that he thought the 1090 was the better long range ADV bike and that the 790 was the better hooning around choice. I can't honestly say I agree with that statement but if I could ride a 1090 or 1190 offroad like Chris can I might well agree with that one too, LOL.
  3. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    Im not saying what he says is untrue, just that he is on the payroll and should be listened to accordingly.
    Some things youre saying above makes me think that the 990 is still a better choice for me, for the long distance dirt touring and more smiles.
    Had an 1190R and never gelled, too big, too bulky, (but electronics were impressive) so got another 990.

I dont just hit stuff anymore, dont do single track, Ive had to slow down a lot.
    Now that my broken bones are well into the double digits, age, arthritis etc are getting the better of me, a lot of the things youve written above make me think I should keep what I have even though I really want something new and shiny and modern.

Will have to wait for more reviews from owners like the ones starting to come through that are honest and objective like yours.
    my6, Crazygreek, ADV67 and 2 others like this.
  4. oldfuddy

oldfuddy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Birchy wasn’t a fan of the 790 initially and he leaned towards his 1090 with the 1090 being the better off-road bike. He was on the KTM payroll then. After he got plenty of seat time on the 790 and the 790 was further refined he changed his mind and said so. Still on the payroll. He’s not gonna bite the hand that feeds him, but he seems pretty straight up if you follow him.
  5. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks, and I can relate! Heck, I'll never ride the 790R to it's full potential. The Yammi if it had been available might have been a great alternative (in the new bike line up) for my long range ADV rides though possibly not as much fun for local playing around, but who knows without a test ride?

As for negatives: The 790 has a weak underbelly compared to early KTM ADV bikes and a lot more complexity. That easy handling, fancy traction control, fancy dash and light weight come at a price.
    tonyubsdell and motoman250f like this.
  6. Manakau.KTM

Manakau.KTM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It seems that the general opinion of riders that have ridden both is that the 790r is better all round. I've just picked up a 2009 advr with underseat tank, high front guard, arrow mufflers, resprung forks, comfy seat blah blah blah for half the price of a 790r. At 43k it should have a long life ahead. In my self employed lifestyle I have only erratic opportunities to get away. Perhaps for me this bike will perform way better than the 790 on the guilt index when I have to walk past it in the garage as I tear off to another job.
    Crazygreek and motoman250f like this.
  7. chippertheripper

chippertheripper motorcycle junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you’re looking to extend riding as your body crumbles around you, the 790 is the next logical step from the 990. Forget off-road prowess entirely, it’s a little smaller, it carries its weight much lower, and is much easier to move around the garage as a result.
    And the electronic whizzbangery will compensate for your failing fine motor skills as well.
    It’s an old human’s bike, complete with electronic cruise, if you want to look at it that way, vs being a big dirtbike, or huge touring barge.
    tonyubsdell, Venturer and Manakau.KTM like this.
  8. amschnellsten

amschnellsten Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And the 790s tanks are not crazy wide as everyone thinks. My 790 is the exact same width at the bottom of the tanks as my 950 without crash bars
    Venturer likes this.
  9. Nowwhat

Nowwhat I'll Go Second... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    What would Birch's opinion be if they let him make a half dozen or so changes like we all do with our bikes?
    PilbaraGoat, tonyubsdell and oldfuddy like this.
  10. oldfuddy

oldfuddy Long timer

Oddometer:
    He built his own SE.... let’s wait and see if he build his own 790
    PilbaraGoat, bobnoxious67 and Nowwhat like this.
  11. Misery Goat

Misery Goat Positating the negative Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    That's a pretty damn good comparison and summary. I like what I'm seeing wrt the 790R (cable clutch is still dumb imo) and will likely go that route at some point but I won't be getting rid of my 950 anytime soon. The 950 is a legendary bike for good reason.
    2 SPOT, ADV67 and 1coolbanana like this.
  12. chippertheripper

chippertheripper motorcycle junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    The cable clutch, while certainly way less sexy, is pretty damn good. If it was lacking in any way, it would be noticeable, and I can’t recall even thinking about it from the saddle.
  13. Dewi

Dewi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So he was saying the bikes available on the show room floor were better untill there were global stocks available for the 790 available and now they are better... lol.
    It's called marketing and Chris is a master as well as being a master on 2 wheels. I'm a Chris fan.
    tonyubsdell and 1coolbanana like this.
  14. ADV67

ADV67 Alsace rider

Oddometer:
    oldfuddy and Crazygreek like this.
  15. JohnnyWaffles

JohnnyWaffles Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nowwhat likes this.
  16. oldfuddy

oldfuddy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ya can’t argue the nostalgia of the 9x0 bikes. They are cool and can still get the job done. I just think (won’t know till I get my 790), new technology coupled with a very intense vendor market is gonna push the 790 over the top. The 9x0 bikes are and will remain great. But it’s a new time we live in. Everything is lighter, faster, more economical, and OEM parts will be plentiful worldwide. In a nut shell the 790 has just about everything the 9x0 bikes don’t have or are getting in short supply of. Sure, think we already know the 9x0 bikes have more grunt out of the hole. Unless you are on slab or have full traction, that grunt isn’t as much of a factor, especially off road when up against a lighter lower cog bike with on the fly traction control. Looking forward to the Rotti blog on it.
    Nowwhat likes this.
  17. BDO

BDO Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    IMG_1676.jpg

Following
  18. opanos

opanos Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No one denies that the 790 has a clear weight advantage over the 950s/990s...
    In my point of view though, if you want to go for some serious off road riding, the bike is still too heavy, make yourself a favor and get a 690/701, these bikes are true lightweight powerplants...70+whp from a big single, and weight is much less than any other adv bike around...

Plus, and personally speaking, I never buy bikes that I consider to be ugly. These bikes are meant for fun and joy, they are not racers, and they are not tools where appearance is not important. And frankly, the new 790 is probably the ugliest bike I've ever seen, second only to that r1200st that BMW released a few years ago...
    springertm, dzrtracin and Crazygreek like this.
  19. BDO

BDO Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Serious off roading is done on my 501. The 790R is a great ADV bike that can cruise all day on the tarmac if needed and get 300 miles to a tank of gas and/or go off-road in some pretty gnarly stuff with your camping gear strapped to the back.

Perfect bike for BDR's and multi-day camping where you need to connect trails and use the highway occasionally. I love the looks too.
  20. Misery Goat

Misery Goat Positating the negative Super Moderator

Oddometer: