790R Shock Failure Survey

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by kubcat, Nov 18, 2019.

?

For 790ADV R owners with a failed rear shock; which month was your bike delivered to your dealer in?

1. March

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  2. April

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  3. May

2 vote(s)
    4.9%
  4. June

8 vote(s)
    19.5%
  5. July

2 vote(s)
    4.9%
  6. August

2 vote(s)
    4.9%
  7. September

1 vote(s)
    2.4%
  8. I own a 790R but have not had a failure

24 vote(s)
    58.5%
  1. kubcat

kubcat Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    For those of you riding a 790ADV R, did your shock fail yet or not? If yes, can you indicate which month the bike was delivered in? Maybe we can see a pattern of production dates and failures.
    markverCA, CaseyB and Orfeas like this.
  2. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    Is the production date/month encoded in the VIN? Maybe thats a tighter means to track a defective batch @kubcat
    No-Fret likes this.
  3. kubcat

Oddometer:
    I was wondering that myself. Googling around, it seems that all we can get is model year and S/N. Once we get a significant number of replies, maybe we can ask them to post S/Ns, or maybe someone knows the alignment of S/Ns to production dates.
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  4. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    Same conclusion found here, by googling. Only yr produced, and then serial # after that. Maybe 2 or 3 guys with failures could compare serial #'s and see if they're close or not. But it would be nice if we knew something about the serial #'s and could broaden the failure criteria to a certain range of #'s and then systematically hone in on a bad range.

I can add this - I'm well over the 2000 mile mark that some seem to fail at and my serial is between 750000 and 800000.
  5. braaap!

braaap! Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    No rear shock issues, I'm at 7003kms (4351 miles) - (July) Serial# 755582.
  6. El Pacifico

El Pacifico Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not to stir the pot here but trying to find shock failure trends by the motorcycle production dates may not reveal much. Delivery dates to the end user even less. If anything, the goal is to narrow down the shock production series and try and identify a trend that way.

It’s not like shock serial number 1 went into ktm 790r number 1. WP (as other suppliers in automotive/motorcycle manufacturing) deliver their components by the boot load. So, unless the KTM production line has a FIFO system, this may be hard to trend. In reality it may be more of a LIFO system. Do they maintain a serialized bill of materials system that ties to the VIN?

Bikes then get shipped around the world. Or are they organizing their production line and saying “ok the next 50 bikes are going to Australia, then the next 50 to Argentina, and so on”?

The expectation is that the engineering groups in KTM and WP are talking, researching, testing, and implement engineering changes into production at defined moments.

I’m not a 790 owner but reading this entire 790/890 section with a lot of interest. I hope this shock issue is figured out. Let’s see what those with 2020’s report once they’ve ridden them for a while. We all want to see this bike succeeed. Actually, it’s already a success.
    braaap! and TrailTrauma like this.
  7. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    This all reminds me of Fight Club...

JACK (V.O.)
    Take the number of vehicles in the
    field, (A), and multiply it by the
    probable rate of failure, (B), then
    multiply the result by the average
    out-of-court settlement, (C). A
    times B times C equals X...

CUT TO:
    INT. AIRPLANE CABIN - MOVING DOWN RUNWAY

Jack is speaking to the BUSINESSWOMAN next to him.

JACK
    If X is less than the cost of a
    recall, we don't do one.

BUSINESS WOMAN
    Are there a lot of these kinds of
    accidents?

JACK
    Oh, you wouldn't believe.
    El Pacifico likes this.
  8. El Pacifico

El Pacifico Long timer

Oddometer:
    Must watch again
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  9. kubcat

Oddometer:
    They definitely track the BOMs against the VIN, specifically the serialized components like shocks, frames, and engines. Other parts they will track by lots against the serial groups produced while those lots are in WIP. Without that tracking mechanism, the liability exposure cannot realistically be contained for catastrophic damage (loss of life due to manufacturer negligence).

You are right that we would ideally track the VINs against the shock lots, or better yet, against the specific serial numbers of the shocks. You know that's what KTM is doing, but we have no access to that data, so the goal here would be to see if the faulty shocks all came from the same lot(s) by approximating the production runs as best we can know - by delivery date. We may not have enough inmate owners to get a valid data sample. But given enough data, the logic is sound and a pattern will emerge,
    braaap! likes this.
  10. Velociraptor

Velociraptor TrackBum Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    My bike is in that range too and just went over 2,000 miles today and shock is still OK.
    TrailTrauma likes this.
  11. El Pacifico

El Pacifico Long timer

Oddometer:
    Interesting points on your first paragraph. Makes sense.
  12. braaap!

Oddometer:
    Do the shocks themselves have a unique serial number marking somewhere? Asking for friend... @Torque @AdvRonski
  13. Torque

Torque Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I will check a shock tomorrow. The fork lugs generally have date of manufacture but have not seen that on a shock to my recollection.
    TrailTrauma and braaap! like this.
  14. Aceyduce

Aceyduce Adventurer

Oddometer:
    June delivery no failure to date, SN 765442. ~7000 miles, miles 4000-6000 of it was pretty rough dirt roads in 40-60F weather
    braaap! likes this.
  15. chippertheripper

chippertheripper motorcycle junkie Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fingers crossed I didn’t jinx myself. Egads!
  16. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    Our bikes are less than 3 dozen apart. Too funny :)
  17. braaap!

Oddometer:
    YOU are doomed my Man! :)

So, the folks that have had shock failures... might you post up your VIN SNo for collation?

Surely with such data, a cell would be evident if it's a WP manufacturing glitch.
    Unless Murphy made a factory tour... Or several?

Between mine and @Aceyduce 's SNo's there's 9860 units.... Multiply that by the MSRP.

:eek2

Ready to Race... (to The Bank)
  18. kubcat

Oddometer:
    I also posted a similar survey on FB in the 790 Adventure Owners & Fans Group, at this link https://www.facebook.com/groups/1052137711659992/permalink/1226661377540957/
    It looks to be a significantly larger sample size than what we have here. You may have to join the group to see the posts. Anyway, here is a screen shot of the current poll results. Interesting to note that the reported failures only make up 11.6% of voters, while those of us not affected (yet) make up 88.4%, with a total of 69 votes in. looks like it may not be as widespread as this forum may have led me (us all) to believe, unless all the others that have had failures already got them fixed, are out riding, and still haven't seen these polls:muutt

FB 790 Poll.JPG
    braaap! and TrailTrauma like this.
  19. SEK_Nick

SEK_Nick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Almost 7,000 miles on my R, no leaks or indications of an issue with the rear shock. Suspect this is a much smaller problem than it seems like on the surface, though a 10% failure rate is definetely still a serious problem... just not as serious as 50%