790R vs 850gs?

Discussion in 'Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)' started by BambiRides, Jul 10, 2019.

1. BambiRides

BambiRides Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So since I have the luxury of around a year and half to window shop on here, I have a lot of theoretical vs. Last time was deciding to go with a mid size class as opposed to a 1290SAR or R1200gs. Anyone had a chance to ride the 790 and 850gs yet? Seat height doesn’t bother me and summer 2020 is the purchase date so used will hopefully be on the market. Hard to resist the used 2013-14 era 1200gs’s but that weight is so hard to swallow for me.
    Pablo Mac likes this.
  2. Pablo Mac

Pablo Mac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm lookng at next summer, as well: a nice used 790 R or F800GS, or perhaps a new F850GS or Tiger 800 XCa. NOT interested in a Made in China 790, though.
  3. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just went through this decision process. There are two clear distinctions.

850GS is several thousand dollars more, even with current incentives.

790 weighs at least 75 lbs. less and is slightly smaller.

In my opinion, 790 is better on unpaved roads, 850 more comfortable on road.

Similar performance.
  4. BambiRides

Oddometer:
    I would only get the R, not the base 790 in
    my opinion. Have they had many issues with the whole KTM new bike thing yet?

Yeah the weight on the 790 blew my mind. Only 50lbs heavier than my old Ducati monster S2R1000 was. The BMW GS name definitely tempts me because it’s huge for a lot of very good reasons. But the KTM is just such a badass bike.
  5. Rharr

Rharr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    looks like there is little data on the GS suspension. Nothing about adjustability of the GS forks only lists rebound adjustment for the shock. If the 850 is anything like the 800 the front forks are still crap. The biggest advantage going with a 790 is better suspension with full tunability. Which really makes or breaks how good a bike is. If the bike rides like crap then it's not worth owning.
    el Pete likes this.
  6. BambiRides

Oddometer:
    Yeah this will be my first “nice” adv bike so it’ll be nice to have a platform I won’t grow out of skill wise and end up replacing with better components like the GS forks it sounds like.
  7. scfrank

Oddometer:
    I haven’t had any problems, but it’s two days old! :D

All issues I know of are dealer resolved.

Good luck finding an R. I’ve ridden both, the std is fine for me. In my opinion you must be hard core to need the R.
  8. BambiRides

Oddometer:
    Well they should be more plentiful in 2020 hopefully haha I just like the idea of buying the top of the top of the bike cause I never have bought the top level of anything before.
  9. scfrank

Oddometer:
    The 850 is nothing like the 800. Ride one.
  10. BambiRides

Oddometer:
    So most places are writing for sure. I’m not the biggest fan of how the TFT dash is an option compared to standard on the KTM
  11. scfrank

Oddometer:
    ??

I’ve never seen an 850 without TFT.
  12. The_Eccentric

The_Eccentric Gearhead. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Northern CA. Soon to be WY. Hope WY NEVER changes!
    Last fall, my BMW dealer told me that BMW insisted that their dealers order the fully loaded F750GS and F850GS bikes exclusively for the first batch..............and that the 'base' model without the TFT screen and ESA rear suspension could/would be ordered later. All of the F750/F850GS/F850GSA bikes that I've seen so far have been loaded versions.

My next bike will be a 790 Adventure R.
  13. BambiRides

Oddometer:
    Technically a thing but just probably haven’t seen one yet.

Why did you make that choice?
  14. The_Eccentric

Oddometer:
    Much lower COG. Lighter. Less expensive. Much better suspension (F850GS only has manual or ESA adjustment of the rear shock). Looks like the front folks will need a cartridge replacement (as was available for the F700/800GS bikes) and new springs/oil before it's useable for a heavier rider. Also spent an afternoon riding an R1200GS. To me, the big BMW boxer twin surprisingly feels more nimble and less top heavy than the F850GS. The telelever front end felt much more stable than what's on my VStrom or the F850GS (and the front is also ESA adjustable).

Decided that if/when I buy a BMW ADV bike it'll be an R1200GS. At that time, the 2019 790 ADV R's in my area were officially all spoken for. Was coming to terms with the thought of going BMW (and spending a shitton of $ to do it). Went for a ride on my VStrom and decided on a whim to stop by the local KTM dealer to try to get a glimpse of some lucky bugger's new 790ADV.

Spotted a standard 790 ADV being assembled back in the shop. Shop guys let me check it out, and told me that the dealership had JUST started taking deposits on the 2020's arriving this November. Talked to the sales manager. She told me that I'd be #2 on the list for a 2020 790 ADV R in that November batch. Plunked down my deposit and reserved my 2020 ADV R.

I'm moving to Wyoming in September, and likely won't get another shot at a 790 ADV R for at least a year (and then in some other state). Grabbed this unexpected chance from my NorCal dealer, even though that'll mean taking another trip BACK to Ca to pick it up. Will likely pick up a 2 piece seat set and some other PP goodies while I'm at it. If/when I get back on the comfy 'old man' ADV touring kick again I'll be able to pick up a big Wasserboxer without much trouble.

Today I stopped by the 'other' KTM dealership in the area. They surprisingly had an unsold standard model 2019 790 ADV on the floor. Got to spend some time checking it out and sitting on it. Very comfortable. MUCH less top heavy than the BMW parallel twins and my DL1000. Lower seat height than my VSTrom too. The non adjustable suspension is VASTLY under sprung and under damped for my "sturdy" frame, especially the forks. Felt like the additional seat height of the R won't be a problem, especially if I swap on the S model 2 piece seat (or one of the Ergo versions). I'm excited!
    CaseyB likes this.
  15. nk14zp

nk14zp Long timer

Oddometer:
    So they took some Minimacs fir a down payment?
    The_Eccentric likes this.
  16. BambiRides

Oddometer:
    Yeah I get the same feeling that I may end up on a 1200gs even though I’m shopping for lighter bikes if I go the BMW route. I haven’t even seen a 790 down here in SoCal yet. Dealership I was talking to had nothing but delays.
    The_Eccentric likes this.
  17. The_Eccentric

Oddometer:
    $500 cash.......or $1000 with a pile O minimacs... :D
    nk14zp likes this.
  18. The_Eccentric

Oddometer:
    Have you tried Chaparral yet? On Cycletrader they had a bunch listed last I checked...

https://www.chapmotors.com/inventor...-R/Base--San-Bernardino-California---11036411
  19. BambiRides

Oddometer:
  20. NoCo68

NoCo68 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The 850 motor is built in China.