8 Day Trip Around South New Zealand

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Daniel3640, Jun 8, 2019.

1. Daniel3640

Daniel3640 Moto_Dans

Oddometer:
    DAY 1 -

Good Friday, the start of our 8 day road trip around the South Island of New Zealand. Our trip will take us through over 2000km’s of some of the best scenery NZ has to offer.

Day 1 got off to a later than planned start due to a late night the previous evening where we not only had to get the bikes packed but also Danni’s bike, due to insurance reasons, had to get the fuel tank, bar risers and seat swapped back to the original manufacturer standard. Not massive jobs however we are coming in to winter and it gets dark around 5:30pm, so we were standing in the garden using our phones as torches.

IMG_20190419_083300665.jpg

We had almost 500km’s planned for the first day and had hoped to get on the road for 8am. We managed to hit the road for 8:30am and proceeded to the nearest fuel station. Tanks full, tyres pumped up - lets go! Eh... hang on. Danni can barely touch the ground with the standard seat and is not confident to carry on as is. Back home we go to remove the luggage and swap her low seat back onto the bike!

Time to go! Now 9:30am as we pull back on to Highway 1 the traffic is already nose to tail. Exactly what we were trying to avoid with an early start. Good Friday. The start of a 4 day weekend for what looks like everyone in the South Island!

The first hour to Timaru is a mind numbingly boring and straight flat road down highway 1. The worst thing about where we live is that it is at least an hour in any direction to see anything that resembles a hill or a corner! Highway 1 in its eternity is quite boring... probably one of the worst in NZ, but after Timaru the scenery does improve and continues to improve the further south you head.

Our first stop is just outside of Oamaru for some fuel for Danni’s bike. As we had just swapped back to her original tank, we were unsure of distance. At 170km she took around 7 litres of fuel, not bad! After this it was a quick whiz down to our next stop – the Moeraki Boulders.

_MG_35114.jpg

Some 60 million years ago, the concretions we know as the Moeraki boulders started forming on the ocean floor. Centuries of coastline erosion have revealed a spectacular view of these curiously large spherical boulders. The larger Moeraki Boulders are as big as 3 metres in diameter and weigh several tones whilst the smaller boulders can resemble an over inflated football.

_MG_35082.jpg

We had a quick brunch which consisted of a chicken an apricot pie for Danni and a sausage roll and carrot cake for me (one of the better carrot cakes of the trip). After which we headed down to the beach for the obligatory photo.

Back to the highway and another 180 or so km’s through increasingly nice scenery and central Dunedin to Balclutha where we fuel up for the final time today. It was now just past 4pm and we had another 90 mins to get to our planned campsite of the evening – Purakaunui Bay campsite, a DOC site that had some good reviews. It is almost winter here now so it gets dark around 6pm and I was starting to get anxious regarding time as I don’t like setting up camp/cooking in the dark. We carried on regardless down to Kaka Point a little seaside town in the middle of nowhere. The sun was starting to go down and now just gone past 5pm. We left Kaka point with another 40 mins showing on the Satnav. We needn’t have worried though as 15 mins down the road we pass a big sign “Camping $10pp”. We pull in a little short of our target for the day but happy enough with the 450km’s we had travelled.

End 110.jpg

Hillview campsite was very nice, it’s run by an English man who is also a biker. Flushing toilets, hot showers (cost extra), kitchen area (microwave and a fridge). Large grassy area for tents and plenty of room for vans. Due to the time of year there was only 1 other tent and 3 vans when we set up however the vans kept pulling in all night and when we arose the next morning there would have at least been 15-20 of them. After we got the tent set up, I got to “cooking” our tomato soup and bread for dinner while Danni tried and failed to coax over the sheep in the adjacent field. We had our soup then a few sweets from our Easter egg boxes while watching Black Summer on Netflix. We retired to our bags around 9:30pm, tired from our first day on the road but excited get up and ride again in the morning.

Day 1 Expenses.

Fuel –$66.54

Brunch – $29.10

Campsite - $20

_MG_35259.jpg

Route.png

young1, Jeff Sichoe, Shaggie and 5 others like this.
  2. Daniel3640

Daniel3640 Moto_Dans

Oddometer:
    • Day 2 -

Our Second day of the trip began around 6am when we were awoken to the sound of rain on the tent, GREAT! We dozed until around 7 when the rain subsided, it was a fairly warm start to our camping experience with the temperature over night around the 7 degree’s. We weren’t in the mood for breakfast as the clouds were still threatening to rain so we packed up as quick as we could and hit the road for around 8am. We had a few things planned for the day and a target of a campsite just outside of Tuatapere was our goal, around 280km’s in total.

We proceeded on wet roads heading towards Invercargill through the Catlins National Reserve, a gorgeous part of the country with long sweeping corners, smooth hills and the occasional glimpse of the coast. We hit the first petrol station we saw in Invercargill to top up Danni’s bike before grabbing a quick coffee and a breakfast bar. Back on the road heading towards Bluff, the southernmost town on mainland NZ.

The road to Bluff could be described as a beautifully scenic road that winds along a small coastline, with great sea views and plenty of wildlife to spot along the way. None of this we saw, as soon as we left Invercargill a thick fog appeared like something from the movie “The Mist”. We had to ride with our visors up to prevent steaming up and we just had to keep the bikes riding between to 2 white lines. This continued all the way into Bluff. We followed the signs for Stirling Point as this is the reason we went to Bluff. Stirling Point marks the End of Highway 1 and has the Tourist sign post showing you distances to major cities around the world. We got a photo of a similar sign a few years back when we did the North Coast 500 route at John O’Groats in Scotland.

_MG_35376.jpg _MG_35387.jpg

With the picture secured we retreated out of the mist back to Invercargill, we needed to warm up and get a shower. On trips like these as we tend to camp a lot at DOC sites which generally have no facilities, we always like to stop at a local swimming pool every few days for a refresh. Splash Palace Invercargill was our destination. We got out bikes all locked up and secured before heading in. Splash Palace was well equipped and clean, decent size main pool with wave machine, diving boards, jacuzzi, and a flume. We spent a couple hours in the pool then headed into the city centre for our next stop, Hammer Hardware.

_MG_354812.jpg

A Hardware shop? Why would we be heading there, you may ask? Well, Hammer Hardware in Invercargill is no ordinary hardware shop. It boasts a collection of vintage motorcycles and cars including Burt Munroes world famous Indian and some of the movie vehicles from “The Worlds Fastest Indian”. This shop was amazing, they had everything you could want. Tools, bikes, camping gear, cars and even tarps! If I lived in Invercargill and you were ever looking for me, good chance I would be in here!

_MG_356224.jpg

It was now 1pm and we were getting hungry. We quickly found a Burger Fuel restaurant across the road and went and got some lunch! It was during lunch that Danni broke a bombshell, “eh.. I don’t fancy camping tonight”. She offered to pay for a hotel for the evening. So while we were having lunch, we started the search (bearing in mind it’s Easter weekend). We had no luck on Booking.com so we tried going in to a few hotels nearby and asking for a room, no luck either. I found a nice looking place on AirBnB and put in a request to book. 2 hours later we got a reply saying ‘sorry we are full tonight!’ It was now 4:30pm. We had another 2 hours ride to get to the campsite I had originally planned on staying at, so I put in another request on AirBnB for a different place which was on the way. We hit the road, just as the rain began.

_MG_356426.jpg

We kept stopping on the way and checking my phone to see if our request got accepted but we weren’t having any luck. We pulled into Tuatapere just for 6pm the campsite was another 30mins up the road. One last check of AirBnB and still no response, so we cancelled that. Danni spotted the local Tavern and knew from Booking.com they had a room for the night. I wasn’t to keen and would have preferred to camp. Danni went in and had a look and inspected the room. She came back out $100 lighter and said this looked nice, we get a cooked breakfast in the morning to. The host was nice and let me park both bikes in the garage around the back. Bikes unloaded and we trundled our gear up to the room. Eh…. you seen this room before you paid, right? “Yeah, its nice”, she says. The hotel looks like it hadn’t been updated since at least the 50s. The window wouldn’t shut, the room had no heater and it was communal bathroom/toilets. The cobwebs and dust suggested that the rooms weren't overly used...or cleaned. I couldn’t believe it was $100 for a night. We’ve stayed in much nicer places for less. We would have been warmer in the tent! We nipped out to the local 4 Square shop and picked up a few things for dinner then turned in for the night around 9:30pm, wearing jumpers and hats to bed. Yes – it was THAT cold!

Day 2 Expenses:

Fuel - $26.94

Camp Gas - $7.99

Swimming - $12.60

Lunch - $35.10

Hotel - $100

Dinner - $30.01

_MG_357534.jpg Route.png

Attached Files:

Jeff Sichoe, Flyin' Monkeys and bobw like this.
  3. Daniel3640

Daniel3640 Moto_Dans

Oddometer:
    Day 3

As arranged with the host the night prior, we were going to be having breakfast at 8am. No problem. Even though our alarms were set for 7am,we were up well before that due to having a noisy and cold nights sleep because of the window issue. I went and got the bikes out of the shed and got all our luggage strapped up while Danni was fighting to stay under the duvet. We were met by a friendly face at breakfast and being the only people there the chef was keen to get our breakfast on. We helped ourselves to tea/coffee waiting her return with our Eggs, bacon and toast. We weren’t holding out much hope however we both agreed the breakfast was excellent one of the best on the trip and made the $100 room seem not so bad. However, we still wouldn’t stay there again.

We hit the road for 9am with not having a big day planned only around 180km or 2 hours riding. It had rained a lot during the night so the roads were wet and the clouds were dark the way we were heading. The fuel station on the outskirts beckoned us with Danni’s small tank it was a sight welcomed, we both fueled up and began our day.

15 minutes up the road we passed the campsite where I had originally planned to stay the night before we pulled in for a look at Clifden Bridge Doc Site. There was 1 tent there, however the grass was really overgrown and soaken wet. After a few pics at the bridge we returned to our steeds. We didn’t make it far maybe another 15 minutes and the rain started pouring so we stopped again to adorne our waterproofs ( Danni’s favourite thing about motorcycle travel ).

_MG_35871.jpg

We carried on along twisty roads the scenery improving with every km, also thankfully the weather. We pulled into Manapouri, parked the bikes, and took a stroll down to the beach. The sun was out and the views were incredible. Waterproofs packed away, next stop Te Anau. Te Anau is a tourist hot spot and the last major town on the road to Milford sound. Knowing this we hit the local supermarket and stocked up for the next 2 days of camping. As we entered the shop they had a big isle of freeze dried camping food, we have never tried these before so we thought why not. I picked up the spaghetti bolognese and Danni went for carbonara. Soup and rolls were also purchased incase these didn’t go well.

_MG_35944.jpg
    _MG_360711.jpg

We fueled up the bikes which was a farce as with the Dr’s stock soft suspension and the weight of our camping gear the suspension sits quite low so when on the side stand it stands quite tall. When I came back to my bike after fueling she fell over and started spilling petrol everywhere!!

It was now 1pm and we were both quite hungry so the nearest cafe was the next stop, however with what just happened to my bike I wasn’t keen on any of the spaces near the cafe so we had to park outside of town and walk in. Not a big deal as we passed a merino shop on the way to the cafe and Danni picked up a pair of Possum socks. Eventually we made it to the cafe of choice “Kiwi Country” where I got my usual of carrot cake + chips and Danni got a cheese roll + chips. The carrot cake was rated as average. We had good fun feeding it to a local small bird though.

_MG_361913.jpg

It was now nearing 2 and with 75kms to go we hit the road, wanting to get our tent set up early as it was still wet from day 1. The road from Te Anau up was amazing the scenery was spectacular. The further up you went the bigger the Mountains became and the more twisty the road got. Great! With a few stops for pictures we pulled into our campsite for the next 2 days “ Cascade Creek “ around 3:30pm.

_MG_364216.jpg
    _MG_364317.jpg

Cascade Creek is the last Doc site on the road to Milford Sound, It is a very large camp area mostly set up for campervans. When we arrived it was very quiet so we spent a wee while riding around looking for a good spot. All the tent sites are on fenced off gravel areas and we finally decided on an empty spot with a fire pit. As I began setting up the tent Danni went for a wonder, it didn’t take long until I realised I couldn’t get any of the tent pegs in the ground and grabbed a hold of the half built tent to move to a more suitable area. Flat grass, a picnic table and near a toilet that will do. Just as I got the tent erected Danni popped back and said she found some place better so I bundled up the tent again and we moved for the 3rd Time! Our final resting area was the best we had seen right next to the river flat grass with no room for any more tents near by and far enough away from the toilets to only get the occasional whiff of tourist poo.

_MG_364819.jpg

With the tent set up bikes moved to the new spot and all our gear unpacked we went for a woodland walk around the nearby Lake Gunn. It was a peaceful walk with some fantastic view onto the lake. Once back at camp we started on dinner, our freeze dried food we bought earlier. After boiling some water you place in these bags, stir and leave for 10 mins. I was first to tuck into my spaghetti bolognaise and apart from needing a pinch of salt it was decent. Danni’s Carbonara was much the same and we both agreed to try some more of these on the trip. It was now after 6pm and getting dark so we retired to the tent with some sweeties, cups of tea and watched a movie on Netflix.

_MG_366423.jpg

Around 9pm we exited the tent for a last diddle for the evening only to be presented by the most amazing star sky we had ever seen. We grabbed the camera and tripod and tried to capture what we were seeing. While we were out we had a pay with some long exposure shot and moving light around the camp. We stayed up playing around with this for another hour or so and hit the hay around 10pm looking forward to day 4 and our cruise of Milford Sound.

Day 3 Expenses:

Fuel – $74.98

Lunch - $30.60

Camp Supplies – $10.98

Dannis new socks - $30

Camp Site - $26

Route.png

4. Daniel3640

Daniel3640 Moto_Dans

Oddometer:
    Day 4,

A nice easy day planned for today with only 90km’s of riding scheduled. We were heading from our campsite at Cascade Creek up into Milford Sound and had a Jucy cruise booked for 11:10am. Wakened by daylight around 7am was starting to be a routine, it was a cold night and we welcomed porridge and coffee for breakfast. There was thick fog and we hit the road at around 9am heading into the clouds.

There is no fuel between Te Anau and Milford Sound since Danni’s bike was currently running the standard tank we decided to try and take my bike for the day and leave hers guarding our tent. This was our first time riding 2 up on the DR and probably the last. There is not a lot of room for 2 people and we are quite small in the grand scheme of people.

The roads were wet, curvy and increasingly steep but the DR chugged along to the entrance to the “Tunnel”. The Homer tunnel is 1270m long with a 1:10 gradient down to the western side. This along with the stock DR headlight and being 2 up was not an enjoyable experience. The tunnel exits to the scale of the mountains all around us.

_MG_379726.jpg

We have never seen scenery like this before it just kept going on and on all the way into Milford Sound. We pulled into the car park at 10am and after a few photos and a minute to take in the views we nipped into the information centre to get some brunch. Sausage Roll + carrot cake for me and cheese toastie for Danni.

_MG_379425.jpg

Filled up, we dandered along to join the sea of tourists standing waiting for the many tour boats to depart. We had decided on the classic Juicy cruise as it had good reviews and was reasonably priced at $55 each. Being one of the first people to board we made a dart for the top deck and got ourselves a prime seat. Boat filled, we departed.

_MG_371703.jpg

The cruise lasts around 90 mins and goes from the ferry terminal out to sea and back passing many waterfalls and the odd seal! Once underway we were surrounded by tourists and our great seat was spoiled by people leaning over us, standing in front of us and almost sitting on our knee all trying to take that perfect photo. Having experienced this we probably wouldn’t recommend this cruise and if we were to come again would go on one of the smaller boats with less people even if that does come at a premium.

_MG_375415.jpg

_MG_373208.jpg

_MG_376117.jpg
    Back on land, back to bike, off we go. Taking our time on the way back it was around 1pm we had no place to be so took as many opportunities as we could to stop for a photo. Including at the awesome Chasm viewing bridge. The road back was a lot steeper at this side making the DR scream for help on the hairpins and inclines up to the tunnel.

Back to camp by 3 having learnt 2 up on the DR was not to be repeated. I had a scheduled appointment with DOC loo roll which I don’t want to ever repeat. We then went for a wander. We soon found a steep rocky dry river bed which led us up a very sketchy climb to a gorgeous waterfall. The best part about this was there wasn’t another person in sight! A very rare occurrence in this neck of the woods. Truly exhausted from the day we retired to the tent where we cooked up some Watties Hearty Beef Hot pot soup and a buttered roll for Dinner with a breakfast bar for desert. In our bags for 9pm ready for a long ride to Queenstown in the morning.

Day 4 Expenses:

Lunch: $54

Cruise: $110

Camp Site: $26

Route.png

young1, Jeff Sichoe, bobw and 2 others like this.
  5. Daniel3640

Daniel3640 Moto_Dans

Oddometer:
    Day 5,

Bad nights sleep, very cold. Up at half 6 boiling the kettle to fill the hot water bottles. Packing up and leaving the wonderful Cascade Creek today heading to Kidds Bush camp site on Lake Hawea via Queenstown Swimming pool for a shower.

On the road for 8am. All of our gear is wet with dew. It’s a very misty and cold ride back to Te Anau. I stuffed the hot water bottle down my jacket and while it provided some warmth to begin with once it started to cool down I think it had the opposite effect and was making me feel colder.

Stop in Te Anau to warm up and have a feed. Danni opting for a big breakfast and a tan slice while I sampled their breakfast roll and a cream finger! With 3 ½ hours to go, we leave the warm cafe just after 11 and head for Queenstown. It’s quite sad leaving the beautiful scenery behind us, we had a few hours of riding on straight roads and flat lands.

_MG_383902.jpg

In the last hour heading into Queenstown the scenery and roads start to get interesting again as we wind along the side of Lake Wakatipu. Once in Queenstown we join the back of the never ending queue of Tourist traffic (something Queenstown is renowned for). After getting briefly lost and fuelling up we find the Swimming pool. We have been here previously on a trip last year and knew it well.

We were only in the pool for an hour or so spending the majority of it in the hot pool over looking the Remarkables mountain range. On the road again for 3 with an hour and 20 mins remaining. Heading over the Crown range road was amazing. A road we have never been on before. It is switch back after switch back winding up to a view point over looking Queenstown. A must see if you are ever in the area.

_MG_384103.jpg
    _MG_384506.jpg

The road carries on winding through flowing hills into Wanaka. After being split up by a few old classic cars we were having some issues reconnecting our Cardo Packtalks and pulled over to investigate. A quick reset and we were good to go. We were soon faced with the view of Lake Hawea which was a highlight of the trip. We pulled off the main road onto a dirt road for the last 7kms to the campsite. Kidds Bush campsite sits at the bottom of the lake and once we had our tent pitched and drying out we took our camp chairs down with our cooking equipment and camera and got some prime seats on the beach watching the sun set and eventually the stars come out!

_MG_384607.jpg

Watties Peppered steak soup for dinner with some freeze dried carrot cake and custard for desert. This trip is the first time we have tried freeze dried food have previously had the carbonara and the bolognaise at Cascade creek. The carrot cake tasted good but didn’t look visually appealing reminding us of baby food.

_MG_385510.jpg

Kidds Bush campsite is our favourite camp of the trip and definitely a place we will return. We retired to bed around 10pm having spent a good few hours with the camera getting some star photos.

Day 5 Expenses:

Breakfast : $45.70
    Camp supplies : $21
    Fuel : $59
    Swimming pool : $17
    Campsite : $16

Route.png

6. ztaj

ztaj jatz

Oddometer:
    Goddamn, Danni must've ordered the EXTRA BIG !! breakfast :dukegirl
    Daniel3640 and Flyin' Monkeys like this.
  7. Daniel3640

Daniel3640 Moto_Dans

Oddometer:
    She didn't manage her slice though we had to take that with us!
  8. Shaggie

Shaggie Unseen University Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great pics n story :clap
    Daniel3640 likes this.
  9. Mileater

Mileater Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Breakfast : $2145.70!!!! Damn! Those are really Tourist Central prices :lol3. A favourite part of the world for me, too. Enjoying the write up, keep going.
    Cheers,
    Allan
    Daniel3640 likes this.
  10. Daniel3640

Daniel3640 Moto_Dans

Oddometer:
    Jeez! Most expensive part of the trip! Haha now sorted.
  11. bobw

bobw Harden the phuck up

Oddometer:
    Great photos, beautiful part of the World!
  12. Daniel3640

Daniel3640 Moto_Dans

Oddometer:
    Day 6

Our last night camping was the warmest of the trip, we were just getting used to sleeping in a bag and its time to pack up camp for the final time. While Danni gets the beds away I make a coffee and get some last minute pics of the fantastic views around. Packed up and on the road for 9am, the tent is soaked with dew. Quick blast past the local sheep to get back on to the tarmac and we start heading toward Franz Josef, our destination for the next 2 nights.

_MG_389601 - Copy.jpg

The road was wet, slippy and we couldn’t see far with the heavy fog. The first hour was cold. Too cold. We past a sign for the Blue pools, 30 min walk. We decide to stop and check them out. Because we were both freezing, our bike gear along with helmets remained on for the walk. 15 mins in and all of our zippers were undone and we were sweating, great idea! The blue pools were fantastic, a worthy detour.

_MG_390506.jpg _MG_391513.jpg

123.jpg
    Back on the road and we headed for Haast for some breakie. Danni opted for the bacon bagel and a chocolate brownie while I went for a steak pie and a tan slice. The sun appeared shortly after and we hit the road. The west coast of New Zealand is truly spectacular and unlike anything we had seen before. Everywhere you look is green dense rainforest. The road goes from running along the side of the sea to steep twisty hill climbs. Quite a change compared to our home in Ashburton ‘the flat land’.

333.jpg

We didn’t have long to travel today and were quickly in Fox Glacier. Hoping to get a glimpse of said glacier, we kept scanning the scenery. Unfortunately the clouds were coming in and we missed it. Stopped in the township and had a look around the tourist shops. Highlight of the town was possum nipple warmers, something Danni could have done with at the start of the trip!

Back on the road and a quick blast to Franz Josef, our destination. A few week prior to our visit the whole west coast was struck with severe flooding knocking out the bridge into Franz Josef. Which only got replaced a few days before our trip thankfully as it would have meant an 8 hour detour! We crossed the new Bailey Bridge with remains of the old one mangled and bent below!

We headed straight through Franz to our Motel, some 3km out of town. The Glacier Highway Motel is quite a new place by the looks of it. Very clean and fresh, good sized room with sky tv and wifi. After unloading the bikes we both jump back onto mine and scoot back into town to get some supplies for our Dinner and to find out the plan for tomorrow. We had a Heli Hike of the Glacier booked for 11:30am the next day.

_MG_392301.jpg

Back at the room Danni cooked up some spicy Nachos which we ate on the porch area watching the sun set. We retired to the room cranked the heating up and cracked open a pack of biscuits! Looking forward to our first trip in a helicopter in the morning and our first day off the bikes on the trip.

Route.png

Expenses:

Fuel : $40
    Food : $78.24
    Motel : $171

13. Daniel3640

Daniel3640 Moto_Dans

Oddometer:
    Day 7:

We awoke refreshed after a warm and quiet nights sleep at the Glacier Motel. We drove into Franz Josef 2 up on my DR, quickly found some breakfast at a local bakery and headed around to the Heli Hike for just after 10am. As soon as we approached the building the disappointment sent in as we could see on the big tv’s dotted around the building that all of today’s flights were cancelled due to the weather. Quick chat with he woman behind the desk confirmed this and we got the choice of either moving it to the following day or cancelling it and getting a refund. We opted for the latter as Danni had to be home for work on the Saturday.

What a bummer, we were gutted as the Heli Hike was the reason we did this trip and had booked it as a Christmas present to each other. We headed into town, got a coffee and looked around to see what our options were to fill up the rest of our day. We quickly picked one of the many booking agents that line the streets of Franz Josef and had a look at what she had left for the day. A horse trek starting in an hour followed by some clay pigeon shooting later on, should fill our day nicely.

Back on the DR and a quick jaunt the 5km out of town to the Glacier Country Horse Treks. We opted for the 1 hour jungle trek and quickly got acquainted with our horses. We are certainly not a couple of cowboys, having only been on horses once before at a similar company back home. These horses are easy going though and its just a case of follow the leader. We both enjoyed our trek.

IMG_20190425_132550634_HDR.jpg

The jungle area is very dense and a complete world away from what we are used to on the east coast of NZ. We were advised before starting the trek that it would feel like ‘off-roading for horses’ due to the recent flooding at the area – the tracks were swampy and thick with mud. At the end we were asked if we wanted to try trotting. I thought that sounded great and was instructed to just kick my heels and hang on. My nuts were very quickly shoved right up into my body and my arse felt like I was being repeatedly hit by a jack hammer. We would like to return sometime and do one of the longer treks deeper into the jungle.

dAY 7.jpg

Next up was our clay pigeon shooting. We were picked up and taken out to the range. A quick safety briefing and we began. This is the first time I have shot with a semi auto gun so was a little rusty to begin with only hitting 4/5 of the targets. Danni found it a little harder than me as this was the first time she had shot any gun and was over thinking it a bit to much and was generally shooting too early. By the end of our 30 shots and with a little coaching though, she was nailing it. Franz Josef Clay shooting is run by the local police officer and his wife. They are both excellent teachers and a great laugh, we would highly recommend this activity if you are ever in the area.

_MG_393004.jpg

_MG_393205.jpg

It was around 4pm when we got dropped back into the town and Danni had her full body massage booked at 4:30. We still got free access to the hot pools due to our flight being cancelled. I just chilled in the pools waiting for Danni. There are 3 pools at Franz Josef of varying temperatures. I probably wouldn’t return to these hot pools as there are better options nearer to home, Tekapo pools for one.

IMG_20190425_142907124.jpg

After this we were both knackered. A quick stop at the Thai restaurant outside of the hot pools for dinner, then back on the bike to the hotel. It wasn’t the day we had planned but we both had fun by the end of it.

IMG_20190425_191111323.jpg

Expenses:

Food: $127.60
    Horse Trek: $180
    Clay target Shooting: $260
    Massage: $145
    Motel: $171

Day 8 :

We set our alarms for 7am, got up and packed early as we had over 400kms to do. When we turned in the previous evening it was pouring with rain but thankfully it had eased over night. While still being cold it was at least dry. Quick blast back into Franz for some fuel. I nearly dropped the bike when I seen the prices! $2.59 per litre for 91!! We did a quick splash and dash with the aim to fill up at the next cheapest place.

Our first stop was Hokitika for some breakfast. Hokitika is a great wee town. We have briefly visited a few times now and we keep meaning to spend more time there. After munching down some bacon and eggs, I decided we would fuel up in Greymouth before heading home. Only after we got to Greymouth I remembered it was around 30km the wrong way! Oh well. We fuelled up, back tracked and headed towards Arthurs Pass.

_MG_394401.jpg

The road to Arthurs Pass is one of the greats. Really twisty and smooth roads. Great scenery and even the odd Kea bird begging for food at the view points. Heading over the pass and into the town of Arthurs Pass, the scenery starts to change from dense jungle to bare mountains and wide open plains. This continues as you exit the other side into Springfield, the mountains come to an end and you hit the Canterbury Plains. Which has got to be the flattest place on earth! (maybe?)

_MG_394401.jpg

Heading home through Rakaia Gorge and we blast the last 50kms to be home just after 4pm. This was the biggest bike trip we have done over here in NZ and it was certainly memorable we have seen many sights and sampled many carrot cakes.

Expenses:

Breakfast: $38.20
    Fuel: $116.74

Route.png

NZ is such a varied country as you can see from our pics in some ways it reminds us a lot of home but in others its just so much more. We are already planning the next trip and hope you have enjoyed this report (my first report) and the pictures that accompany it. Thanks for coming along for the ride and we will hopefully see you in the next one!

Thanks

Dan + Dan

Moto_Dans

Attached Files:

young1, nzrian, bobw and 1 other person like this.
  14. oldbeer

oldbeer Grandadventurer

Oddometer:
    Great photos and epic trip.
    Agree with you 100% re the West Coast.
    After many years in NZ i finally rode down the West Coast last year. The weather was cold but clear and the roads more or less empty. The bit from Hokitika to Wanaka is so far the best day i have ever spent on a bike.
    Mileater, nzrian and Daniel3640 like this.
  15. bobw

bobw Harden the phuck up

Oddometer:
    You guys made a great run, thanks for the photo tour! :beer:beer
    Daniel3640 and nzrian like this.
  16. ahebron

ahebron Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great RR.
    First time I went to Cascade Creek the hotel and power station that used to be there had been knocked off their foundations by a flood that came down the valley. The forest was just trees and rocks, very odd. I believe the hotel was relocated to Te Anau Kiwi Holiday Park.

Adrian
    Daniel3640 likes this.
  17. young1

young1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for taking the time to share your ride

Mike